Everything Free Agency (Rumors, notes and news)

RaidersAreOne

10 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Is it bad that anytime a good player joins, or is rumored to join the Browns, I'm totally fine with it because it just makes me go "Welp, at least they won't be a threat".

I know this is more about the Browns, but honestly at this point, clowney himself just doesn't scare me over an entire season. He'll have his games here and there but at this point I almost view it as a buy low upside move and little else

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I know this is more about the Browns, but honestly at this point, clowney himself just doesn't scare me over an entire season. He'll have his games here and there but at this point I almost view it as a buy low upside move and little else

I think he would be a very good signing for the Browns because he would never see a double team. Also, he’s an elite edge defender against the run. We get gashed on off tackle runs. 

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I think he would be a very good signing for the Browns because he would never see a double team. Also, he’s an elite edge defender against the run. We get gashed on off tackle runs. 

He's arguably the best run defender in football.

6 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I could see him as a quality role signing, but clowney isn't a guy I'm throwing a ton of money at, and I don't view him as a free agent at the level like Suh was when he went to Miami and others like that. As an opponent, I'd think it was solid, and then not think about it again. As a niner fan, I'm not doing cartwheels that he's gone from Seattle. 

He's like someone signing a good #2 wide receiver

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

I could see him as a quality role signing, but clowney isn't a guy I'm throwing a ton of money at, and I don't view him as a free agent at the level like Suh was when he went to Miami and others like that. As an opponent, I'd think it was solid, and then not think about it again. As a niner fan, I'm not doing cartwheels that he's gone from Seattle. 

He's like someone signing a good #2 wide receiver

Perfect example.  Clowney just hasn't put it together as a pass-rusher despite having, at times, one of the best pass-rushers alongside him in JJ Watt.  No way do I give him big money.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DannyB said:

Is it bad that anytime a good player joins, or is rumored to join the Browns, I'm totally fine with it because it just makes me go "Welp, at least they won't be a threat".

That’s how I feel about every team that’s not Baltimore, Kansas City, San Fran, and New England.

19 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

That’s how I feel about every team that’s not Baltimore, Kansas City, San Fran, and New England.

Baltimore's not a threat until Lamar proves he can do something other than run around and juke people in the playoffs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DannyB said:

Ehhh...what makes you say that? I feel like that is not the case

Watching the film. I'm a big Texans fan, and there is no love lost with Clowney (and especially with BOB). He was supposed to be this all-world talent of a pass-rusher, and he's clearly not. He's a solid #2, on that mid 2010s JPP/Olivier Vernon-tier as a rusher. In run defense, though, he IS elite. I didn't see much of his play with the Hawks and I understand he had a down season, but in the AFC South, a division where basically every team has had a strong rushing attack, Clowney has been a monster. He sheds blocks like no tomorrow. He's developed the heavy hands to turn offensive linemen into their backs. He's excellent at attacking blockers and disrupting the play. His lateral quickness on the outside makes him an asset in containment. 

The main thing with Clowney is that he never really developed north-south ability. Most of his sacks are from QBs scrambling. He's great when they're on the move, but his straight-line speed hasn't translated like AT ALL. He's really an ideal run-defender due to this. He just disrupts, sheds, and tackles on an every-down basis when runs are in his territory. Electric in that aspect of the game, and I doubt you'd find someone better. He was the best run-stopper on the best run-stopping team in football in Houston.

• Like 1