Everything Free Agency (Rumors, notes and news)

RaidersAreOne

On 5/15/2020 at 5:57 PM, NJC33 said:

What's funny is what the Jets have done is oddly similar to what the Bills did last off-season. People overlooked the Bills because of a lack of splashy signings but were quick to applaud the front office when it was all said and done. Douglas was methodical in his approach and really upgraded the roster from top to bottom without grabbing headlines. The team is significantly better, but most people can't look past the negative stigma surrounding the organization. 

I think the division is up for grabs: Buffalo is deservedly the favorite and has the best roster, but I'm betting on Darnold being the best QB. People tend to look past the terrible situation Sam was thrown into and just forget how talented he is - Relying on box scores rather than tape. Todd McShay recently said, "In my opinion, Sam Darnold can be one of the elite quarterbacks in the NFL if he gets some protection.... I just think he's special." We should finally have at least adequate protection and I think you'll see a huge leap because of it. 

Buffalo and the Jets had similar additions to their O-line. It should be noted that Buffalo's line was still mediocre last year while seemingly having more talent going into last season than the Jets do this season (mostly due to Tackles Dawkins+Ty> Becton+Fant), so expecting Darnold to have 'adequate' protection is optimistic, imo. Buffalo's pass protection took a huge hit once TY got injured and Ford had to start. I expect similar results for the Jets even when their tackles are healthy. Dawkins+Ford seems to be of similar caliber to Becton+Fant. Dawkins>Becton>Fant=Ford

I think the major difference is Buffalo added more weapons for Allen last year. The Jets let Robby walk and signed Perriman who is blehh. I like the Mims pick, but again, he's a rookie- and it'd be optimistic to say he's going to produce like Robby has for the Jets in his first year. So I think Darnold lost his best weapon while not gaining one of equal caliber unless Mims shows up. Robby+Mims+Crowder would've been a much better situation than Mims+Perriman+Crowder. Perine adds to your RB depth. Gore is on his last legs. 

To the contrary- Buffalo added John Brown, Cole Beasley, Kroft, Knox, A. Roberts, Singletary, Yeldon, Duke Williams, Wade, and Gore. Obviously they all didn't work out, but you get the picture. Beane added bodies all over the offense while Douglas did similar to the O-line but wasn't able to replicate what Beane did adding weapons. 

6 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Buffalo and the Jets had similar additions to their O-line. It should be noted that Buffalo's line was still mediocre last year while seemingly having more talent going into last season than the Jets do this season (mostly due to Tackles Dawkins+Ty> Becton+Fant), so expecting Darnold to have 'adequate' protection is optimistic, imo. Buffalo's pass protection took a huge hit once TY got injured and Ford had to start. I expect similar results for the Jets even when their tackles are healthy. Dawkins+Ford seems to be of similar caliber to Becton+Fant. Dawkins>Becton>Fant=Ford

I think the major difference is Buffalo added more weapons for Allen last year. The Jets let Robby walk and signed Perriman who is blehh. I like the Mims pick, but again, he's a rookie- and it'd be optimistic to say he's going to produce like Robby has for the Jets in his first year. So I think Darnold lost his best weapon while not gaining one of equal caliber unless Mims shows up. Robby+Mims+Crowder would've been a much better situation than Mims+Perriman+Crowder. Perine adds to your RB depth. Gore is on his last legs. 

To the contrary- Buffalo added John Brown, Cole Beasley, Kroft, Knox, A. Roberts, Singletary, Yeldon, Duke Williams, Wade, and Gore. Obviously they all didn't work out, but you get the picture. Beane added bodies all over the offense while Douglas did similar to the O-line but wasn't able to replicate what Beane did adding weapons. 

Adequate protection, comparatively speaking, is maybe what I should've said - Still bottom 1/3, but there's enough potential between Becton/Fant to reach that middle tier. Considering what we dealt with last season, that's still a MASSIVE upgrade and will be perceived adequately by Jets fans who had to endure the revolving door we put out there last year. Also, wasn't Ford pretty awful? That's setting the bar kinda low for Fant, who I'm not nearly as high on as other fans. 

As for the rest of the offseason... We weren't in a position of need to necessarily replicate the quantity of bodies the Bills added offensively.. Most of which, didn't contribute. Brown, Beasley, Knox, Singletary =/< Perriman, Mims, Crowder, Herndon, Bell.. Quality is a different argument, but hopefully for us we'll be in a position next off-season to get our version of Diggs. Our biggest addition, should be the return of Herndon. 

Beane was methodical in prioritizing the offensive line and adding depth elsewhere without garnering headlines. Douglas' approach was very similar.. Obviously, no way of telling if it'll be as effective. 

1 hour ago, Kirill said:

They're not. They gotta get through us to even get to the SB and we always lay the beatdown on them.

“Always lay the beat down on them” = a 3 point OT win in Lamar’s rookie year, and a 5 point win last year...both in Kansas City.

There’s been some bad posters on this site throughout the years, but man. You’re awe inspiring.

You want to see a beatdown, go watch the KC/BAL playoff game from 2010. Would be shocked if you were alive for that considering your posting tendencies.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Adequate protection, comparatively speaking, is maybe what I should've said - Still bottom 1/3, but there's enough potential between Becton/Fant to reach that middle tier. Considering what we dealt with last season, that's still a MASSIVE upgrade and will be perceived adequately by Jets fans who had to endure the revolving door we put out there last year. Also, wasn't Ford pretty awful? That's setting the bar kinda low for Fant, who I'm not nearly as high on as other fans. 

As for the rest of the offseason... We weren't in a position of need to necessarily replicate the quantity of bodies the Bills added offensively.. Most of which, didn't contribute. Brown, Beasley, Knox, Singletary =/< Perriman, Mims, Crowder, Herndon, Bell.. Quality is a different argument, but hopefully for us we'll be in a position next off-season to get our version of Diggs. Our biggest addition, should be the return of Herndon. 

Beane was methodical in prioritizing the offensive line and adding depth elsewhere without garnering headlines. Douglas' approach was very similar.. Obviously, no way of telling if it'll be as effective. 

Definitely think you got a keeper in Douglas, which ticks me off as a Bills fan!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Definitely think you got a keeper in Douglas, which ticks me off as a Bills fan!  

After years of the blind leading the blind, Douglas has been revitalizing to say the least. Now, if only we could swap Gase for McDermott..... B|

• Like 1

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

That’s how I feel about every team that’s not Baltimore, Kansas City, San Fran, and New England.

Eh, you add a couple more dangerous players to Seattle or New Orleans, I'd worry more

2 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Watching the film. I'm a big Texans fan, and there is no love lost with Clowney (and especially with BOB). He was supposed to be this all-world talent of a pass-rusher, and he's clearly not. He's a solid #2, on that mid 2010s JPP/Olivier Vernon-tier as a rusher. In run defense, though, he IS elite. I didn't see much of his play with the Hawks and I understand he had a down season, but in the AFC South, a division where basically every team has had a strong rushing attack, Clowney has been a monster. He sheds blocks like no tomorrow. He's developed the heavy hands to turn offensive linemen into their backs. He's excellent at attacking blockers and disrupting the play. His lateral quickness on the outside makes him an asset in containment. 

The main thing with Clowney is that he never really developed north-south ability. Most of his sacks are from QBs scrambling. He's great when they're on the move, but his straight-line speed hasn't translated like AT ALL. He's really an ideal run-defender due to this. He just disrupts, sheds, and tackles on an every-down basis when runs are in his territory. Electric in that aspect of the game, and I doubt you'd find someone better. He was the best run-stopper on the best run-stopping team in football in Houston.

Well, perhaps he's underrated, perhaps he's a high level run defender, but, just to throw out one opinion: PFF (not saying it's the be-all end-all, but it's something) lists their top 5 run defenders last year as Calais Campbell, Aaron Donald, Cameron Heyward, Von Miller, and Carlos Dunlap. For 2018 they said Damon Harrison, Calais Campbell, Akiem Hicks, Aaron Donald, and Luke Kuechly.

I feel pretty confident in saying, even if I'm just looking to defend the run, I'll take Donald or Campbell.

1 hour ago, DannyB said:

Eh, you add a couple more dangerous players to Seattle or New Orleans, I'd worry more

Seattle is not a contender to me. They’re just the fighting Russell Wilsons.

Saints have disappointed me to much to pick them again.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Man. I know Clowney isn’t the Clowney we all thought he would be, but some people are making it sound like he’s an average NFL starter. That is simply not true. 

He's not, but he's certainly a draft bust given his draft position and desire to get big money is far-fetched in the minds of most. 

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Seattle with Wilson will always worry me to some degree, and if they get some key pieces they'll be dangerous again immediately.

Remember, the NFC is *seemingly* more open than the AFC. The AFC seems pretty open and shut with KC and Baltimore being the iron of the conference. But while heading into the season it's fair to say the Niners are the best team in the NFC, I don't think they have a stranglehold. I'm a huge Jimmy G fan, but he did not cover himself in glory last postseason, and that's the kind of thing that might carry over. Rodgers, Wilson, and Brees are all good enough that if things come together, they could put one over on a playoff run. And once it's the big game, anything can happen.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

This time last year you wouldn't have even bothered mentioning the 49ers in this type of discussion. I think it'd be foolish to dismiss the losses of guys like Buckner, Sanders, and Breida on that team. 

We were literally an inch away from beating them for the division crown last year and I will confidently take a Russell Wilson led team that has added pieces over a a Jimmy Garoppolo team that has lost pieces since then. (disclaimer: I'm assuming we sign Griffen/Clowney or trade for Ngakoue considering everything we've seen/heard from our FO and the cap casualties we've made to this point; you're free to assume that's wrong).