Everything Free Agency (Rumors, notes and news)

RaidersAreOne

9 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

They need to re-work his deal. If not, then I’d say cut him. 

His cap hit is too big for a guy that doesn’t produce in a stacked front-seven. Maybe I don’t watch enough Bears games and he does a bunch of stuff that I haven’t noticed. But from an uneducated outsider’s view, he seems to barely be in the top half of importance when it comes to that defense - so I’d want that cap number to be well under $15M instead of right under it. Especially with limited cap space.

Seriously doubt they would cut Floyd.

21 hours ago, .Buzz said:

QB Carousel is going to be fascinating to monitor. Someone is going to get left out, but I don't know who. Right now those who appear to be "available" include: 

1. Tom Brady: looking like return to NE or sign with LV
  2. Derek Carr: if LV signs Brady, otherwise back with LV
  3. Ryan Tannehill: likely back in TEN
  4. Jameis Winston: TB or...?
  5. Philip Rivers: IND or TB or...?
  6. Teddy Bridgewater
  7. Cam Newton
  8. Andy Dalton
  9. Marcus Mariota
  10. Jacoby Brissett: becomes available if IND adds a new QB. NE?

Teams in the FA QB market (leaving out CIN/MIA as it appears they will add via draft):  

1. NE 
  2. LVR
  3. TEN
  4. TB
  5. CHI
  6. CAR
  7. LAC

Even if we're to assume that Dalton/Mariota/Brissett settle for backup jobs, one of the above listed QBs (#1-7) would likely have to settle for a backup job if the Chargers are committed to replacing Rivers via draft... 

17 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Slightly OT, but why does Chicago want to get rid of Trub? It’s extremely difficult playing QB in Chicago.

Jay Cutler statistically speaking is the best QB in bears history. Think about that.

I feel like you have to just fully try to be like how the Ravens have been historically. Win with defense and a QB making just enough plays.

Because a QB they traded up for, and passed on Mahomes and Watson for, shouldn't be making the absolutely terrible reads he is in his 3rd season.

14 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

OverTheCap isn’t up to date, I believe.

EDIT: Or rather, it’s producing different numbers than Spotrac.

14 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Jason Fitzgerald from OTC gets his numbers straight from contacts in the NFLPA and the NFL

Spotrac has a reputation for using OTC’s numbers without giving credit. 

I'm fairly certain OTC has already accounted for the rolled over money from 2019 into 2020. So the 5 Million you're seeing there is all they have before cutting dead weight.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 9:27 PM, Zappaz said:

Call me crazy but if Brady leaves NE I could totally see Rivers ending up there. I don't see Belichick coaching much longer as he is nearing 70 years old, I could see him thinking Rivers could plug into that system and give him a couple years to prove he can win without Brady. 

No offense to Rivers, as he has had a great career, but if Brady can't win there now, I don't see Phillip getting it done.  Last year he looked further gone than Tom did, IMHO.  I just don't think he has that much left in the tank.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

No offense to Rivers, as he has had a great career, but if Brady can't win there now, I don't see Phillip getting it done.  Last year he looked further gone than Tom did, IMHO.  I just don't think he has that much left in the tank.

I just don't see it. Compare the 2 and stats wise they are insanely close with the outlier being interceptions with Rivers always being more of a "gunslinger" and Brady usually more careful with the ball. You can go back multiple years and see the same results. 

And claiming Brady can't win there now? If the Defense didn't choke against the Dolphins in week 17 then NE is the #2 seed a year after winning the Super Bowl. The defense gave up late leads in both the Dolphins game and the Titans playoff game. 

I think Rivers will surprise people next year depending on where he ends up... and if Brady is out in NE I think Rivers would be a great fit to come in and keep the ball rolling up there.

Greg Olsen signs with Seattle, 1 year: $7M/5.5 guaranteed.

I think it's an okay signing. Dissly and Hollister are younger/better prospects but Dissly can't stay healthy. Like 10 games in 2 seasons, with double ACLs tears. Olsen is going to be 35 so I don't expect much, but Seattle has $55M of cap (after the Olsen signing, and after the Dickson release which will CERTAINLY happen now, who has been 100% useless for Seattle). This wont affect anything this year and has no long term impacts, so why not?

This is not a great TE class and Seattle has major holes in secondary, OL/DL. Also, Seattle has some good prospects that need to stay healthy. A little bit of an expensive insurance policy... but it's one that doesn't impact this season in terms of cap/money regardless. B signing.

Edited by NFL_Announcer

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

I agree with this, and Rivers actually had an incredibly competent offense around him. Keenan Allen and Mike Williams would have been such an upgrade over what Brady had..

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

The NFL hasn’t announced that yet so why would OTC go with something not official?

Go to different teams and notice they have different numbers as their salary cap. It's because it's including rollover money. You'll find the Jags and Steelers have the lowest displayed cap number because they had no money to really roll over.

2 hours ago, TDTimes said:

You don’t like that??

It must be doubly aggravating that MIN pretty much tossed Teddy out to bring Cousins over.

It is disappointing now, but I understand why they made the decision.  They were told by doctors that his chances of getting back to the player he was before the injury were at about 25%.  Based on that information, they made the right choice.  Cousins isn't a world-beater, but they did about the best they could do at the time.  Unfortunately, the Vikings have had a rash of horrible luck at the QB position during Mike Zimmer's tenure here.

1 hour ago, Zappaz said:

I just don't see it. Compare the 2 and stats wise they are insanely close with the outlier being interceptions with Rivers always being more of a "gunslinger" and Brady usually more careful with the ball. You can go back multiple years and see the same results. 

And claiming Brady can't win there now? If the Defense didn't choke against the Dolphins in week 17 then NE is the #2 seed a year after winning the Super Bowl. The defense gave up late leads in both the Dolphins game and the Titans playoff game. 

I think Rivers will surprise people next year depending on where he ends up... and if Brady is out in NE I think Rivers would be a great fit to come in and keep the ball rolling up there.

I should probably defer to your opinion because Rivers is a quarterback who you have watched play A LOT more than I have over the years.  In the few games I saw last year, he looked like it was pretty close to the end, but I could definitely be wrong.  Brady just didn't have anyone at all to throw to, and I'm giving him a pass for that.  I could be wrong in doing that too just because of his age.  The league's all-time Iron Man, Brett Favre, fell off a cliff at the age of 40-41, and Brady will be 43 this season.  As great as he has been, age has to catch up to even him eventually.