Everything Free Agency (Rumors, notes and news)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I agree with this, and Rivers actually had an incredibly competent offense around him. Keenan Allen and Mike Williams would have been such an upgrade over what Brady had..

Yep.  For that reason, it would be pretty fun to see what Brady could do with the Chargers offense in L.A.

On 18/2/2020 at 7:42 AM, Yin-Yang said:

Doesn’t appear to be using the OTC numbers. They’re just different.

Spotrac copies what OTC does. However, OTC does not publish anything unless it is official or it comes from a source. While OTC does that, Spotrac tends to fill some gaps with rumours.

1 hour ago, VonKarman said:

Spotrac copies what OTC does. However, OTC does not publish anything unless it is official or it comes from a source. While OTC does that, Spotrac tends to fill some gaps with rumours.

Neither Spotrac or OTC have access to the NFLPA database. That's the biggest issue right now. I've gone through some contracts with an agent I know and OTC is way more accurate than Spotrac is.

1 hour ago, VonKarman said:

Spotrac copies what OTC does.

https://overthecap.com/dead-money-and-matt-stafford/

From OTC:

"Secondly I don’t think there was one outlet of the original news stories that attributed that number to us or to Spotrac, which is the other site that tracks contract data generally by ripping from here but that’s neither here nor there at this point, so to turn around and then blame the websites for incorrect details is a bit ridiculous when you didn’t credit either of them in the first place. "

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ET80 said:

I agree with this, and Rivers actually had an incredibly competent offense around him. Keenan Allen and Mike Williams would have been such an upgrade over what Brady had..

20 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I should probably defer to your opinion because Rivers is a quarterback who you have watched play A LOT more than I have over the years.  In the few games I saw last year, he looked like it was pretty close to the end, but I could definitely be wrong.  Brady just didn't have anyone at all to throw to, and I'm giving him a pass for that.  I could be wrong in doing that too just because of his age.  The league's all-time Iron Man, Brett Favre, fell off a cliff at the age of 40-41, and Brady will be 43 this season.  As great as he has been, age has to catch up to even him eventually.

20 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Yep.  For that reason, it would be pretty fun to see what Brady could do with the Chargers offense in L.A.

Here is something I posted in another topic regarding Rivers... 

Playing behind 3rd and 4th string guys who will be selling insurance in a couple years while not being able to step into throws will do that. Not to mention the sheer lack of WR talent behind Allen/Williams. The next highest WR in yardage was Dontrelle Inman with 132yds on 8 catches and only played 4 games. After that... Andre Patton who was 6 for 56yds (17 targets) over 13 games played and 5 games started. 

Rivers got a bad wrap this year, some of it totally his fault, but the team is incredibly top heavy talent wise on offense with little depth. Allen was great with 104 for 1199yds (149 targets), Williams good as well at times with 49 for 1001yds (90 targets), and Ekeler was awesome as a RB with 92 for 993yds (on 108 targets!). Henry did alright but also missed 4 games. Teams figured that out quickly so they could lock down Allen/Williams... add in an anemic rushing "attack" and the porous offensive line... well you have a QB who doesn't look so hot at times. Hell, the team hasn't had an offensive line that ranked better than 26th in pass protection on PFF since like 2014!

I don't see Brady doing any better that Rivers for the most part and spending the money to get Brady would eliminate the possibility of adding talent in FA or resigning some of our best players who are due another contract (Bosa being #1). You would still need to take a QB early as Brady obviously isn't a long term option so adding a top OT in the first round is out of the question. When I look at NE vs LAC on talent within the offense its actually fairly close imo. WR wise Allen and Edelman are very similar, Williams is probably better than most of the other Pats receivers but beyond him the cupboard is empty and depth definitely leans towards NE. RB is close as well with LAC having the edge in their RB receiving (Ekeler is a beast in that regards) but NE is better at running the ball in general especially not knowing who the main runner will be for LAC next year with Gordon all but gone. TE is adv LAC... Henry is good, but often hurt and a FA who might not be able to be kept if Brady is signed. 

I think another thing about Rivers especially towards the end of the year is you could tell the circumstances have taken their toll on him. I don't think Lynn really wanted him as every other QB brought in has much more mobility. It was pretty obvious that Rivers knew it was his last year and when those close games would end up in a loss early on he went into "F it" mode at times. I'm sure its been pretty hard on him over the last 3-4 years playing 16 road games a year as well. I think he wanted out, something I would have never thought possible in the late 00s. I think a change in scenery would do him wonders actually. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zappaz said:

I think another thing about Rivers especially towards the end of the year is you could tell the circumstances have taken their toll on him. I don't think Lynn really wanted him as every other QB brought in has much more mobility. It was pretty obvious that Rivers knew it was his last year and when those close games would end up in a loss early on he went into "F it" mode at times. I'm sure its been pretty hard on him over the last 3-4 years playing 16 road games a year as well. I think he wanted out, something I would have never thought possible in the late 00s. I think a change in scenery would do him wonders actually. 

I never thought about this, but it makes a lot of sense.  Thanks for taking the time to write up such a great post!

• Like 1

According to Tony Pauline (who?), the Broncos and Rams are front runners for CB Darius Slay...

None of that makes sense from a Rams perspective. Don't understand how its even feasible or why we would want it to be given limited cap, limited draft resources, and a need to pay Ramsey. 

36 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

According to Tony Pauline (who?), the Broncos and Rams are front runners for CB Darius Slay...

None of that makes sense from a Rams perspective. Don't understand how its even feasible or why we would want it to be given limited cap, limited draft resources, and a need to pay Ramsey. 

Isn't Slay on the last year of his deal? I could see a tag and trade of Fowler/Littleton for Slay + a throw in on the Rams side. I personally wouldn't do it but I think it's feasible, especially if Slay wants out.