Everything Free Agency (Rumors, notes and news)

RaidersAreOne

On 12/31/2019 at 2:10 AM, 3rivers said:

will the tag be removed on the next CBA as a result of this? 

I hope so. The tag is miserable. It doesn’t guarantee the player playing and anecdotally has only resulted in severing ties with a player. If a players contract expires they should be free to negotiate with other teams. If you don’t like it as a GM then extend them prior to the contract expiring. 

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

He's probably the only FA I want in Houston... Which means the Texans aren't looking at him.

Because, BoB.

I have way more belief in BoB the GM then the coach. He could very well go after him, sign him, and then waste away his talent in some stupid way like deciding to play full time prevent. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

I have way more belief in BoB the GM then the coach. He could very well go after him, sign him, and then waste away his talent in some stupid way like deciding to play full time prevent. 

I can actually agree with this. William O'Brien III isn't as bad as BoB (if you ignore giving away Jadevion Clowney for Gaeron Conley, Jacob Martin and Bark Mingo...)

1 minute ago, EL Guapo said:

They may just get rid of multiple franchise tags to the same person but I hope they completely get rid of it 

No way are they going to completely get rid of it. Just not going to happen. 

I could see significant changes in how it is implemented though. 

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Apparently he's garbage now.

He pretty much always has been. But that was my point, they aren't going to use it on him. They have no viable alternatives for the tag besides Hooper, so why he would hit free agency, I have no idea. 

58 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Apparently he's garbage now.

It's not that he's garbage now. Beasley was just never good. He's honestly not horrible, but he's a JAG - just a guy. He got most of his production vs. bad tackles in blowouts in 2016 when the Falcons were up big and the other team was forced to pass. His pressure rate was really bad, even in 2016. He does have some talent - he's much better in pass coverage than he is at rushing the quarterback. For this reason, I think he would really flourish and be productive in a classic 3-4 scheme ala the Steelers of the 90's. It would allow him to play coverage outside linebacker (what he's naturally good at), while only getting the call to rush the passer when the offense least expects it. If Beasley got the chance to play in that kind of defensive scheme, you'd see a bunch of "wow the falcons are idiots for misusing beasley" but our scheme is predominately 4-3-Under. A 3-4 scheme would be horrible for Grady Jarrett who is honestly our best player on defense, so it's kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

55 minutes ago, Forge said:

He pretty much always has been. But that was my point, they aren't going to use it on him. They have no viable alternatives for the tag besides Hooper, so why he would hit free agency, I have no idea. 

If the Falcons don't use the franchise tag on Hooper, they're insane. So that's totally a possibility because they're the Falcons, and not a good organization like the Steelers or Patriots! Hooper was consistently becoming Matt Ryan's first read in the redzone, even over Julio Jones. The two have a lot of chemistry together, and offenses in the modern NFL need a legitimate Tight End, and that's not an easy position to replace. This isn't even a good draft for Tight Ends either.

I also think Dirk Koetter's Air Coryell offensive scheme is extremely archaic and dated, and the only real way for it to work is to have as much talent as possible on offense (Falcons aren't going to score points by out-scheming defenses, it'll be by out-talenting them). Refusing to resign Hooper would be catastrophic for the Falcons offense. It would get ugly, fast. And it wasn't even good in 2019!

There is one argument Falcons fans make is that by cutting/trading Hooper, they can use that money to buy a real defense, but that's flawed because legitimate NFL defenders cost way more than 10 million/year. This is why you draft pass rushers instead of buying them on the Free Agent market, because legitimate pass rushers are expensive, far more than what Hooper will cost you. Don't ever go on Falcons twitter though, most people on there think Hooper is a mediocre Tight End that's just a checkdown target and that better Tight Ends can be found as a UDFA. Funnily enough, Falcons twitter thinks that we should just cut everyone and be super cheap at all positions and that spending money is bad now, just because there are some bad contracts on the team.

Edited by Hukos

49 minutes ago, Hukos said:

For this reason, I think he would really flourish and be productive in a classic 3-4 scheme ala the Steelers of the 90's. It would allow him to play coverage outside linebacker (what he's naturally good at), while only getting the call to rush the passer when the offense least expects it. If Beasley got the chance to play in that kind of defensive scheme, you'd see a bunch of "wow the falcons are idiots for misusing beasley" but our scheme is predominately 4-3-Under. A 3-4 scheme would be horrible for Grady Jarrett who is honestly our best player on defense, so it's kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

An ex-Clemson guy to boot. Sounds like a match for the Texans, a rotational guy with our OLB unit.

The Texans need several new bodies in to bolster a pass rush that is completely DOA when JJ Watt is not playing. Vic sounds like a pretty low risk, low cost guy here - might not be a primary edge rusher, but can take snaps from Mercilius and Scarlett with little dropoff.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

An ex-Clemson guy to boot. Sounds like a match for the Texans, a rotational guy with our OLB unit.

The Texans need several new bodies in to bolster a pass rush that is completely DOA when JJ Watt is not playing. Vic sounds like a pretty low risk, low cost guy here.

It'd be a good fit for Houston. Vic's a good 6th guy on defense, but an awful 1st dude. The problem with the Falcons is that at his draft spot, he was expected to be THE GUY that he just isn't. Just don't ask him to consistently rush the passer and you're golden. I'm just not looking forward to all the takes on how the Falcons wasted him, he's just not a good fit for what we're doing. Grady Jarrett is 10000x more important to the development of our defense, and the kind of defense that Vic would be good in, Grady Jarrett would be awful in.

I actually would like to see Vic Beasley do well, I think he's a really good man and a good person. But the fan environment surrounding Vic is so toxic in Atlanta because of his draft slot and expectations that he really does just need a clean slate somewhere.