Everything Free Agency (Rumors, notes and news)

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, EL Guapo said:

They may just get rid of multiple franchise tags to the same person but I hope they completely get rid of it 

If they make RB's wait as long as everyone else, that's not fair to RB's since it's known their career is ending earlier and also has more wear and tear.  4 years and no tags makes sense, but will it happen. Will there will be replacement players again like in 1987 ?

3 hours ago, Forge said:

No way are they going to completely get rid of it. Just not going to happen. 

I could see significant changes in how it is implemented though. 

I could see something akin to doing away with the exclusive rights franchise tender entirely and, possibly, reducing/changing the mandatory compensation due on the non-exclusive right tender.  Basically, even if a player is tagged, he'd still have the opportunity to negotiate/field offers from other franchises, however if he signs an offer sheet his tendering team retains right of first refusal and right to receive mandatory compensation (possibly a current year 1st and maybe a 2nd that has to be conveyed within the first 2 years; I'm spitballing here, I think the ultimate aim would be to loosening the channels to allow the player to get traded to where he could get paid his big deal).

In addition to trying to protect small markets, I think the intent will also be to try to protect as much parity as possible, which would mean preventing (beyond just the cap-management protections) perennial playoff teams from just signing a different franchised player to an offer sheet every other season because their 1st is so low they wouldn't be able to get anyone near that caliber of player with it naturally.

3 hours ago, Danger said:

A lot of signs pointing to management and ownership not being well received by a large number of players in Jacksonville.

It all dates back to Coughlin.

As far as Yan, he'll get tagged and someone will have to give some picks.

Edited by .Buzz

So Florio on PFT  spouts this millionaire's rights over billionaires as if he was a modern day Cesar Chavez.

His latest hot take is that Dak Prescott can use the Lev Bell option if he does not want the tag.

There is no real Lev Bell option. The guy held out for a year, lost a ton of money, eventually signed lesser deal than he was offered 2 years earlier and the only way he could even get that money was to humiliate himself by playing for the Jets. (46th out of 47 in yards per rush)

No player, agent, or rational human being sees what Bell did as an option to anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

There is no real Lev Bell option. The guy held out for a year, lost a ton of money, eventually signed lesser deal than he was offered 2 years earlier and the only way he could even get that money was to humiliate himself by playing for the Jets. (46th out of 47 in yards per rush)

No player, agent, or rational human being sees what Bell did as an option to anything.

Disagree actually. 

Dak can and absolutely Should start with the Zeke/Emmitt approach and hold out throughout camp and into all of the Preseason possibly into the season. Especially with a new HC!

The difference between Dak and Bell is , Dak can sit out 10 gms and "Still" make more money when he returns after week 10 then his entire 2019 salary combined!

Dak played the good little soldier, said all the right things, did all the right things in good faith a deal would be reached. If the Jones's plan (was the entire time IMO) is to Franchise without a long term deal, why should he cater and bow down?

We aren't talking about RB money won and lost by Bell, that's a Drop in the bucket compared to anything Prescott sees in 2021 or long term in Guarantees!! Hell what can he make the last 6 weeks of the 2020 season on a FQB Tag?

The Only singular leverage Dallas has (which is still minimal IMO) is the Fact Dak has never made Rediculous money yet so the idea of Not excepting 28M or whatever the FT number is, might be to enticing for Prescott to pass up on. Which I believe Dallas is assuming!

Dak you are our FQB, our future, our leader but hey we're going to treat you like Kirk Cousins in Washington. Thanks

Sincerely Yours , The Jones Family

Edited by Nabbs4u

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

So Florio on PFT  spouts this millionaire's rights over billionaires as if he was a modern day Cesar Chavez.

His latest hot take is that Dak Prescott can use the Lev Bell option if he does not want the tag.

i think Bell was just dumb and did it at the one position that no teams are really going to pay.
And had a bunch of bad optic stuff come out about work ethic, true or not.

QBs are always a rare bird. If Dak refused to.. his market doesn't shift at all really from year to year. It might be even better with a year to be romanticized.
I think OTs, some DEs could do the same and it wouldn't matter.

I honestly hope they just abolish the Franchise tag as it is the next CBA. Make teams piss or get off the pot.
Maybe it remains but the number is way higher and you can only do it one year. Or you move to more conditional tags so a team has a chance to match an offer.

35 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

i think Bell was just dumb and did it at the one position that no teams are really going to pay.
And had a bunch of bad optic stuff come out about work ethic, true or not.

QBs are always a rare bird. If Dak refused to.. his market doesn't shift at all really from year to year. It might be even better with a year to be romanticized.
I think OTs, some DEs could do the same and it wouldn't matter.

I honestly hope they just abolish the Franchise tag as it is the next CBA. Make teams piss or get off the pot.
Maybe it remains but the number is way higher and you can only do it one year. Or you move to more conditional tags so a team has a chance to match an offer.

Also, Dak's situation and Bell's situation are not the least bit comparable.

Bell had prior disciplinary issues, played the position that is deemed among one of the most replaceable in league circles, and had players behind him who - largely due to opportunities provided by those suspensions Bell had to serve - while not quite on his level were serviceable.

Dak has a squeaky clean record, plays the position that is deemed the hardest to replace, and has Cooper Rush and a guy on a futures contract on the roster behind him (and Rush would have to be tendered and sign said tender as a restricted free agent before he would actually be on the roster).

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Or you move to more conditional tags so a team has a chance to match an offer.

The problem with additional tags as the draft picks at associated with them. Teams don't want want to trade a first round pick plus pay a player. so they offer him a lesser contract than he would have gotten on the open market. 

Not a bad thought though. Maybe make the draft pick be reflective of the aav? 

• Like 1