Titans PFF Rankings

TitanLegend

45 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

I don’t see it in DaQuon yes he eats up blockers but I don’t see him get TFL or push the pocket though he’s very solid in the run game, but I agree with you on Evans he’s not looking as promised as he did his rookie year, he constantly blows assignment in coverage & misses so many tackles he think he needs to put on some weight cause he’s too light playing inside. 

He's our NT this year. Eating up blockers isn't necessarily a bad thing. If only 2 interior defenders in the NFL are getting double teamed more often than him, he probably isn't going to light up the stat sheet. We saw how quickly Simmons production went down when other teams took notice of him and started double teaming him.

Part of the reason our interior can look vulnerable at times is due to the fronts we play. Our base is the 2-4-5, and we stay in this quite often when other teams go into 12 or 21 personnel. It's really a mismatch for the offense that invites the run in a league that wants to pass. Despite this, I think we were still 12th in the NFL in rushing yardage allowed because teams still choose to pass against us, and with great success as of late.

I also found it interesting how the Texans were choosing to double team Roberson at times yesterday after he made that big play early. I'm not sure if Landry was in on these snaps or if he was in his place as Roberson was on the defense's right, where Landry usually plays, when I noticed this.

• Like 1

And I said Conklin was an average pass-blocker and TD tweeted out that he ranks 8th in pass-block win rate in the NFL. He's a good player. Lewan had just as many bad plays as him this season, but no one was trying to fire Lewan after each one like they do Conklin.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TitanSS said:

And I said Conklin was an average pass-blocker and TD tweeted out that he ranks 8th in pass-block win rate in the NFL. He's a good player. Lewan had just as many bad plays as him this season, but no one was trying to fire Lewan after each one like they do Conklin.

Lewan usually gets beat because of lack of effort, getting out his stance late, or he make dumb penalties like illegal hands to the face. But Conklin earlier was getting mauled constantly & bulled rush it was like he couldn’t anchor. But I admit he picked his play up & so did Davis. My opinion it was a combination of everything wrong at 1st, mariota under center, bad play calling, bunch formations long routes, & the Oline had no chemistry, due to Lewan suspension we helped a lot on kelly side, & Davis being throwed into the fire with no training camp. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-top-50-highest-graded-rookies-through-week-17

PFF Top 50 Rookies

2. AJ Brown

19. Jeffrey Simmons

43. Amani Hooker

AJ Brown is a no brainer here, but they still  liked Jeffrey Simmons even after he disappeared a little bit. They had him this high because of his run defense grade. Amani Hooker has been pretty invisible and only played 30% of the snaps on defense, but they had him graded highly for a 4th round rookie. He was primarily our big nickel defender and was impressive in coverage according to the article: " He allowed just 53.8% of his targets to be caught and yielded just 0.28 yards per coverage snap, first and second, respectively, among qualifying rookie safeties." If Logan Ryan walks I think it's possible we could see Hooker replace him in our base defense. Hooker played the slot a lot in college and he was a great at blitzing. I think it's a real possibility.

Edited by TitanSS

23 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

I'm surprised Simmons is 19. He was an absolute ghost down the stretch, but I take it all with a grain of salt due to his injury/him being a rookie. Excited to see him next season with a full offseason healthy.

I think some of you get too attached to stats. Not calling you out or anything.

But I think he still had an impact. He was getting some good push in some of those games. Same with Casey.

But I think Simmons can make more "impact" plays after a full offseason.

53 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I think some of you get too attached to stats. Not calling you out or anything.

But I think he still had an impact. He was getting some good push in some of those games. Same with Casey.

But I think Simmons can make more "impact" plays after a full offseason.

I think the whole “impact doesn’t show up in the stat sheet” idea gets really overused. I don’t look for guys to stuff the stat sheet, but we havent see 98 making many, if any, impact plays over the past month. He’s not blowing up the LOS and helping out run D, because our run D has been AWFUL. Nor is he pressuring the QB. He’s just there right now, no different than 75% of games Daquan has played in his career and 99% of games Austin Johnson has played. At the end of the day, if a player is making an impact on the game, you can see it even if he isn’t racking up the stats. We’ve all watched enough football to tell right now that Simmons isn’t doing a great job right now. But I don’t think we can expect more from him right now...next year we will be able to evaluate further.

he jumped off the tape his first couple games. But he, like Landry and Evans and Byard have totally been nonexistent on our D the past month. Worst time for those guys to disappear and they need to get things right ASAP for us to compete this month 

The idea that our run D is awful is pretty much limited to fans based on a couple games. We've been good against the run the majority of the season and had a couple bad games with really poor tackling in recent memory. 

PFF and Football Outsiders DVOA both have us as good run defenses and I think we're 12th in yards allowed. Middle of the pack, tied at like 16 for YPC allowed. We're not the best, but it's not like many teams are running all over us and we're losing games because of it. Our defense fails because it can't stop the pass.

I've noticed Simmons multiple times in the run game. He's a powerful dude in the middle.

3 hours ago, TitanSS said:

The idea that our run D is awful is pretty much limited to fans based on a couple games. We've been good against the run the majority of the season and had a couple bad games with really poor tackling in recent memory. 

PFF and Football Outsiders DVOA both have us as good run defenses and I think we're 12th in yards allowed. Middle of the pack, tied at like 16 for YPC allowed. We're not the best, but it's not like many teams are running all over us and we're losing games because of it. Our defense fails because it can't stop the pass.

I've noticed Simmons multiple times in the run game. He's a powerful dude in the middle.

Not really because teams that wanted to run the ball on us, ran the ball down our throat. We’re only nice against the run is because we play a lot of teams that abandon the run. We’re not good at stopping the run guys get washed down the line & our LB’s miss tackles 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

Not really because teams that wanted to run the ball on us, ran the ball down our throat. We’re only nice against the run is because we play a lot of teams that abandon the run. We’re not good at stopping the run guys get washed down the line & our LB’s miss tackles 

Not really. It happens from time to time but it's far from costing is games. From hearing fans talk about it you'd think we have a god awful run defense and we're actually above average. 

Top 10 in DVOA.

Edited by TitanSS

6 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

our tackling has been abysmal lately. I do think a lot of our problems could be shored up with just better tackling, physicality and effort

Absolutely. We had a couple games in recent memory with awful tackling, and then we had a couple games early in the season with the same issue.