Ron Rivera is Our New Coach

Ghostnote

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I’m not a fan, clearly. I won’t rehash what I’ve already mentioned in other threads- you can read those if you want. Rivera is another retread hire and Snyder wanted to get the name, and indicates that he hasn’t really learned anything over his 20 years as owner. 

I feel you. I really wanted them to look at a younger, fiery, first-time HC who would potentially have more “upside” than someone who we’ve already seen in action and know their weaknesses/limitations. As I’ve said all season, I hoped they’d pursue Kris Richard — and it burns me up to see that he’s interviewing with the Giants later this week. 

However. I’m just not sure this franchise in its current state is the place for a young, neophyte HC. That’s a hard enough task when you’re starting from square one. But this organization is not at square one — it’s going to take work to get them TO square one. The house needs to be put back in order, and I think it helps to have someone who has already won as a coach (and won as a player under a HOF coach) to be the adult in the room. Rivera has 9 years of experience and some huge successes to draw on when imposing discipline and cracking down on the sort of lax, laissez-faire, “inmates running the asylum” atmosphere that has existed here for years. In other words, he might not be the best (or highest upside, at least) possible coach out there, but he might be the best available choice for us, in our current state.

As for the retread thing, it could be a positive. Not that Rivera is necessarily the equivalent of these two guys, but the two coaches who (in my view at least) have been the best of the past decade are Belichick and Carroll — and both of them were somewhere from below-average to mediocre in other NFL HC gigs before landing in their current positions. I assume both of them learned a lot from their first stints and applied those lessons to their new jobs, which appears to have made all the difference for them. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

I feel you. I really wanted them to look at a younger, fiery, first-time HC who would potentially have more “upside” than someone who we’ve already seen in action and know their weaknesses/limitations. As I’ve said all season, I hoped they’d pursue Kris Richard — and it burns me up to see that he’s interviewing with the Giants later this week. 

However. I’m just not sure this franchise in its current state is the place for a young, neophyte HC. That’s a hard enough task when you’re starting from square one. But this organization is not at square one — it’s going to take work to get them TO square one. The house needs to be put back in order, and I think it helps to have someone who has already won as a coach (and won as a player under a HOF coach) to be the adult in the room. Rivera has 9 years of experience and some huge successes to draw on when imposing discipline and cracking down on the sort of lax, laissez-faire, “inmates running the asylum” atmosphere that has existed here for years. In other words, he might not be the best (or highest upside, at least) possible coach out there, but he might be the best available choice for us, in our current state.

As for the retread thing, it could be a positive. Not that Rivera is necessarily the equivalent of these two guys, but the two coaches who (in my view at least) have been the best of the past decade are Belichick and Carroll — and both of them were somewhere from below-average to mediocre in other NFL HC gigs before landing in their current positions. I assume both of them learned a lot from their first stints and applied those lessons to their new jobs, which appears to have made all the difference for them. 

I agree.  This organization is too much of a mess for a first time coach to handle.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

This is sort of a rehash of Mike Shanahan. Does he have a son that’s an up and comer that we can not drive away?

He had a nephew on his staff in Carolina apparently...

Great post @e16bball.  I agree.  Rivera may not be the HC we want, but he is the HC we need at this point in time. If things don’t work out in the next 3-5 yrs, we should have a much better culture for a high-upside coach to take the reins and get us to the next level. 

35 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

LOL, such a one-sided tweet  That defense was ranked 4th in points allowed that year, then dropped to 22nd and then 16th, then his units as Raiders head coach were ranked 22, 20 and 20.  Yawn.  

I get that he's crashed and burned as a HC several times, but he got those opportunities because he's been a pretty good coordinator.  

54 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

LOL, such a one-sided tweet  That defense was ranked 4th in points allowed that year, then dropped to 22nd and then 16th, then his units as Raiders head coach were ranked 22, 20 and 20.  Yawn.  

If 2 defensive minded coaches can't get this unit (plus a added Chase Young) better than Manusky I'll join you on this down train. As of now I'm on the Up and Up train seeing this team really being better on the field with these hires. 

The need for a new Culture was priority #1 it seemed to be. Everything I have read about Ron Rivera says that will happen with him as the HC. The guys in that lockerooom will come to work with Respect, Hard work, and the Desire to be their best with him in charge. He's also bringing in the same type of guy on the defensive side of the ball. The team has talent and I see Rivera as a Guy who can get these guys really contending in the league. Just imagine that Defense reaching it's full potential with guys up front such as Panye, Allen, Ioannidis, Sweat, Young, and Settle? All no older than 25. 

No OLine is stopping that rotating talent consistently. Dallas Oline will be in a battles for these next couple of years. When I say "Their Best" I actually mean guys who want to be the best in the league/at their craft and don't just do the minimum to get by. They desire a SuperBowl and Winning. The Character of half assing aroung and playing around is gone because of the Culture Rivera I see bringing. The Attitude of Winning will be brung. They had the Talent now they will expericence what it's like to see that Talent flourish on the field as a Pro. Alot of the Young talent they have did it in college and will appreciate what Rivera is gonna bring now as a Pro, others will learn and appreictae as well. 

Edited by Skins212689

58 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Lmao and I thought I was negative 

24 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I get that he's crashed and burned as a HC several times, but he got those opportunities because he's been a pretty good coordinator.  

Again, like Rivera, nothing but average to below average results recently.  Also, the NFL over the past couple years has taken on a lot of college concepts from young, innovative offensive minds.  Is Rivera going to pull from the college ranks to get younger coaches who know how to stop these concepts, or is he going to hire guys who are on the wrong side of the age gap who haven't been around for that kind of football?  Del Rio, for example, hasn't coached for two years, his recent run left a lot to be desired, and he's 56 years old.  

I just hope he keeps O'Connell or brings in another young offensive mind, because I might actually stop being a fan if he brings in Mike Shula.  

Rivera is okay and is certainly better than Manusky but Don Martindale was number one on my list. Be it coach or def coordinator. Yes Yes I know he has no head coaching experience. Always liked that Ravens aggressive defense scheme of applying pressure on the QB. So Rivera is the man, I will wait and see what kind of coaching staff he puts together it would be nice to Del Rio and a good ST's coach come on board.