Ron Rivera is Our New Coach

Ghostnote

7 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Again, like Rivera, nothing but average to below average results recently.  Also, the NFL over the past couple years has taken on a lot of college concepts from young, innovative offensive minds.  Is Rivera going to pull from the college ranks to get younger coaches who know how to stop these concepts, or is he going to hire guys who are on the wrong side of the age gap who haven't been around for that kind of football?  Del Rio, for example, hasn't coached for two years, his recent run left a lot to be desired, and he's 56 years old.  

I just hope he keeps O'Connell or brings in another young offensive mind, because I might actually stop being a fan if he brings in Mike Shula.  

I can understand this point of view, that's why I hope they keep O'Connell as well. You for sure than would have the answer to your concern. Rivera, Jack Del Rio, and O'connell get to go at it in practices and game planning. O'Connell can teach them some things, they can teach him some.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Again, like Rivera, nothing but average to below average results recently.  Also, the NFL over the past couple years has taken on a lot of college concepts from young, innovative offensive minds.  Is Rivera going to pull from the college ranks to get younger coaches who know how to stop these concepts, or is he going to hire guys who are on the wrong side of the age gap who haven't been around for that kind of football?  Del Rio, for example, hasn't coached for two years, his recent run left a lot to be desired, and he's 56 years old.  

I just hope he keeps O'Connell or brings in another young offensive mind, because I might actually stop being a fan if he brings in Mike Shula.  

I’d think Rivera’s been in that “innovative” game for a while with Cam. What’s funny is Cam was having success with “old school” Norv Turner until injuries set in. I forget who ran the offense in ‘15 when they went to the super bowl. 

1 minute ago, bigdog44 said:

I’d think Rivera’s been in that “innovative” game for a while with Cam. What’s funny is Cam was having success with “old school” Norv Turner until injuries set in. I forget who ran the offense in ‘15 when they went to the super bowl. 

That was Shula.  That was the only season where his offense finished above 12th overall points wise, and he's never finished above 11th as far as yardage goes.  He would be an absolutely dreadful hire.  

Im on the exact kind of coach this team needed at the right time band wagon.Rivera and Del Rio,Im all for it.We been calling for a switch back to a 4-3 base.Well here it is.Not for keeping OC,think we need a complete new offense as well.Have not been impressed with OC play calling for most part and run game is not sudden.

4 hours ago, 4209 said:

Rivera is okay and is certainly better than Manusky but Don Martindale was number one on my list. Be it coach or def coordinator. Yes Yes I know he has no head coaching experience. Always liked that Ravens aggressive defense scheme of applying pressure on the QB. So Rivera is the man, I will wait and see what kind of coaching staff he puts together it would be nice to Del Rio and a good ST's coach come on board.

keep our same st coach

keep ike hilliard

6-10 would be a jump from where they are now but not the goal. The goal is at least 7 wins. I need at least a .500 record after the 1st season. 1st season I'm laying down the foundations and seeing those who are quick learners and want to win. Keeping O'Connell would be a HUGE plus in the offense picking up where it left off at the end of the year.

His and Haskins continued growth/chemistry would be shown next year. Haskins can throw the ball, be persistent, and put the ball where it needs to be while O'Connell late in the year called plays that put Haskins in position to do those things. Even more developed, that's a offense to be reckon with next year. Just like they were Haskins last half before he got hurt. 

I expect a huge jump in the D in a 4-3 scheme. Not to mention again the guys coaching them. The Defense HAS TO BE IN THE Top 10 or I'm highly disappointed and rethinking how I felt about the Rivera/Jack Del Rio duo. Especially if you land Chase Young. I want Wins and a chance at a SuperBowl with this new Culture plus the players deserve that for the work they put in. The bar is set high from the start. 

Edited by Skins212689

2 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

6-10 would be a jump from where they are now but not the goal. The goal is at least 7 wins. I need at least a .500 record after the 1st season. 1st season I'm laying down the foundations and seeing those who are quick learners and want to win. Keeping O'Connell would be a HUGE plus in the offense picking up where it left off at the end of the year.

His and Haskins continued growth/chemistry would be shown next year. Haskins can throw the ball, be persistent, and put the ball where it needs to be while O'Connell late in the year called plays that put Haskins in position to do those things. Even more developed, that's a offense to be reckon with next year. Just like they were Haskins last half before he got hurt. 

I expect a huge jump in the D in a 4-3 scheme. Not to mention again the guys coaching them. The Defense HAS TO BE IN THE Top 10 or I'm highly disappointed and rethinking how I felt about the Rivera/Jack Del Rio duo. Especially if you land Chase Young. I want Wins and a chance at a SuperBowl with this new Culture plus the players deserve that for the work they put in. The bar is set high from the start. 

The defense needs a transition year as well.  While they are both likely going to be two gap systems, it isn't just an instant switch and everyone plays the same as they used to.  It's a drastically different way to play, different responsibilities, etc.  Sometimes it's taken teams 2-3 years to effectively change from one defense to the other, which is why a change is oftentimes rare.