Ron Rivera is Our New Coach

Ghostnote

18 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I hope they are better than the Tampa Bay Redskins !!!

Considering we are bringing better coaches here and we have Del Rio, I expect it. Brice brought a bunch of average at best people into our organization except for the obvious McVay, Tomsula, Randy Jordan, Ike Hilliard and Callahan and I expect we’ll be better bc Rivera and whoever he hires to be the GM will be a huge upgrade over Allen and Jay.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Considering we are bringing better coaches here and we have Del Rio, I expect it. Brice brought a bunch of average at best people into our organization except for the obvious McVay, Tomsula, Randy Jordan, Ike Hilliard and Callahan and I expect we’ll be better bc Rivera and whoever he hires to be the GM will be a huge upgrade over Allen and Jay.

They will be a upgrade if Kyle Smith isn’t ousted in the first year or two. I believe we should pull the trigger on Smith. If RR has control what does it hurt to promote Smith for being a bright spot and allowing him to grow his responsibilities to be RR’s go to guy. I haven’t always been impressed with Carolina drafts. I think Smith is worth holding onto. And keeping away from other teams.

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

They will be a upgrade if Kyle Smith isn’t ousted in the first year or two. I believe we should pull the trigger on Smith. If RR has control what does it hurt to promote Smith for being a bright spot and allowing him to grow his responsibilities to be RR’s go to guy. I haven’t always been impressed with Carolina drafts. I think Smith is worth holding onto. And keeping away from other teams.

I believe Kyle Smith has done a very good job and hope he gets rewarded for it. He gave this team respectability as far as the draft. I don’t know who the GM will be but KS deserves the promotion. 

48 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I believe Kyle Smith has done a very good job and hope he gets rewarded for it. He gave this team respectability as far as the draft. I don’t know who the GM will be but KS deserves the promotion. 

I want Kyle Smith to get the gig but if he’s gone I’ve gone on the record as saying I want Riddick or Brown. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I want Kyle Smith to get the gig but if he’s gone I’ve gone on the record as saying I want Riddick or Brown. 

I like Riddick!!!! He’s smart. Actually the analyst I like the most is Dan Orlavski. He is super super smart and I always like hearing his opinion it’s very close to mine almost every time and that’s things I’ve previously said that he reports. But I think Smith deserves it

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 9:38 PM, Vladimir L said:

Rivera is okay and is certainly better than Manusky but Don Martindale was number one on my list. Be it coach or def coordinator. Yes Yes I know he has no head coaching experience. Always liked that Ravens aggressive defense scheme of applying pressure on the QB. So Rivera is the man, I will wait and see what kind of coaching staff he puts together it would be nice to Del Rio and a good ST's coach come on board.

keep our same st coach

keep ike hilliard

Well I'm lookin for something a little different. It has to be the old George in me. When a team takes very little pride and neglects ST's they become victims of these bad breaks. There are big plays to be made in the area of ST when the time is right. Remember Malinchek and Mul-Key/Brown. What I am saying there has to be a much more special  emphasis on ST's play all in all areas ( FG %, Block punts/FG's etc)  Sometimes we always negate an Offensive score by giving the opponent good field position on KO's etc. A bad ST play cost the Ravens field position last night.

On 1/11/2020 at 8:08 AM, ripsean21 said:

Kyle Smith is great, I want him retained but will the team fall apart w/o him? Not so sure about that, if we hire Morocco Brown who’s helped build the Bears and now the Colts then we’ll be just fine w/o Kyle Smith.

As I said before. I hope Brown is hired as GM and Kyle is promoted to Assistant GM. Or, as Lavar said, Riddick is hired and then we also promote Kyle Smith. We can retain Kyle by promoting him to assistant GM.

Edited by turtle28

24 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Kyle Smith is great, I want him retained but will the team fall apart w/o him? Not so sure about that, if we hire Morocco Brown who’s helped build the Bears and now the Colts then we’ll be just fine w/o Kyle Smith.

As I said before. I hope Brown is hired as GM and Kyle is promoted to Assistant GM. Or, as Lavar said, Riddick is hired and then we also promote Kyle Smith. We can retain Kyle by promoting him to assistant GM.

I’m not against either of those scenarios. I just personally think Kyle Smith could be the next great GM and I’d hate to keep letting him hit home runs and go be that guy for someone else. I just think maybe like the rams going after McVay I think Smith is going to be a really good one

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 12:31 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

Well, according to Mike Silver, the main reason he came here over NYG or Cleveland was because he really liked the roster. I’m sure Rivera is now aware Smith deserves most of the credit for that. Hopefully, we knock this draft out of the park too and Smith is promoted. 

I can see that for the Giants, but for the Browns, I can see him not wanting the headache of having to deal with Baker Mayfield, dealing with the OBJ situation, or having to deal with the continued fallout from Myles Garrett.  From a pure talent perspective, there is no reason to go with the Redskins over the Browns, there is no question about that.  There is also the favorable division situation- no one has had a stranglehold on this division since Andy Reid left the Eagles.  With the AFC North, he has to deal with the Steelers and Ravens who are competitive nearly every year.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I can see that for the Giants, but for the Browns, I can see him not wanting the headache of having to deal with Baker Mayfield, dealing with the OBJ situation, or having to deal with the continued fallout from Myles Garrett.  From a pure talent perspective, there is no reason to go with the Redskins over the Browns, there is no question about that.  There is also the favorable division situation- no one has had a stranglehold on this division since Andy Reid left the Eagles.  With the AFC North, he has to deal with the Steelers and Ravens who are competitive nearly every year.  

Yeah, I could see that.  I could also see him not wanting to go to a situation in Dallas where he'd just be Jerry's "yes man" and have zero real power.  But I could also see him really liking the talent/potential on this roster, especially in the trenches (which is what most coaches focus on building first).

5 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I’m not against either of those scenarios. I just personally think Kyle Smith could be the next great GM and I’d hate to keep letting him hit home runs and go be that guy for someone else. I just think maybe like the rams going after McVay I think Smith is going to be a really good one

Jury is still out on McVay too IMO. He had one great season when the team stayed healthy except for Cooper Kupp and he got to the super bowl. This year Goff took a major step back, their D looked great on paper but Wade couldn’t get them to play up to their talent level and their running game fell off bc of Gurley’s knee and OL injuries.

I want to see if McVay can turn the Rams around again after an average year where they were up and down all year. Also, the Rams have been surpassed by the 49ers and are currently worse then the Seahawks too. They’re now clearly the 3rd team in the NFC west after being in the Super Bowl last year.

Bottom line is that McVay and Snead have a lot of work to do this off-season. They’ve left themselves w/ no first round picks the next two drafts and not much cap room to make it happen bc of trades they’ve made and big $ free agent signings. They’re going to lose their best ILB for sure w/ no first round pick to replace him. If they had a 1st, they could take Kenneth Murray to replace Corey Littleton but they likely won’t get that opportunity bc Murray will likely go in the 1st.

Edited by turtle28

28 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Jury is still out on McVay too IMO. He had one great season when the team stayed healthy except for Cooper Kupp and he got to the super bowl. This year Goff took a major step back, their D looked great on paper but Wade couldn’t get them to play up to their talent level and their running game fell off bc of Gurley’s knee and OL injuries.

I want to see if McVay can turn the Rams around again after an average year where they were up and down all year. Also, the Rams have been surpassed by the 49ers and are currently worse then the Seahawks too. They’re now clearly the 3rd team in the NFC west after being in the Super Bowl last year.

Bottom line is that McVay and Snead have a lot of work to do this off-season. They’ve left themselves w/ no first round picks the next two drafts and not much cap room to make it happen bc of trades they’ve made and big $ free agent signings. They’re going to lose their best ILB for sure w/ no first round pick to replace him. If they had a 1st, they could take Kenneth Murray to replace Corey Littleton but they likely won’t get that opportunity bc Murray will likely go in the 1st.

This is why I don’t agree with mortgaging our future this offseason to bring in a few big names. I want to sign our guys and continue through the draft. That doesn’t mean they can’t get their guy for a number. But I wouldn’t be big in FA. Maybe a Littleton or a Byron Jones. After that I want to just go low risk big reward I’m not trying to bury bight young talent with money like we have in the past.

• Like 1