Ron Rivera is Our New Coach

Ghostnote

On 2/23/2020 at 10:43 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

No one has dug that up yet, at least according to my search on the Google Machine.  However, I did find this about Matt Rhule's salary with Carolina- https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/carolinas-matt-rhule-is-now-the-sixth-highest-paid-coach-in-the-nfl-here-are-the-five-coaches-ahead-of-him/

One would have to assume that Rivera is somewhere in that top 10.  He would've been foolish not to extort Snyder for that kind of money, especially given the volatile history of Redskins coaches under his ownership.  Given my thoughts on Rivera though, which are well documented and I won't go into, a top 10 salary is an overpay.  Not a huge one, but an overpay nonetheless.  

Washington isn't exactly a hot spot for both coaches and talent.  We've always had to overpay to bring folks here.  

I'd also imagine coach's salaries are increasing year-over-year like it has for players.  I'd be pretty shocked if we didn't give Rivera a top-10 salary - don't think it's an overpay though.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I wonder how involved Rivera was in the Ryan Grant fiasco ? Remember they gave him a huge F A contract, became the laughing stock of the league --then he just happened to "fail his physical ". Dirty dealings  it seemed at the time .

I'm going to go with 0% considering that was Baltimore, not Carolina.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

OK, thanks . Would have sworn it was Carolina but Baltimore sounds right . I'm sure you're right .

I think you’re getting Grant confused with Bashaud Breeland, who (that same offseason) signed a big deal with Carolina that got voided after he failed a physical due to a previously suffered foot injury. 

Baltimore is the one that was shady, because they claimed their deal with Grant was voided by a failed physical, but he almost immediately passed IND’s physical. And just coincidentally, they voided the deal very close in time to the Raiders’ release of Michael Crabtree — who they signed shortly thereafter. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, tredaddy said:

Washington isn't exactly a hot spot for both coaches and talent.  We've always had to overpay to bring folks here.  

I'd also imagine coach's salaries are increasing year-over-year like it has for players.  I'd be pretty shocked if we didn't give Rivera a top-10 salary - don't think it's an overpay though.  

Again, it's perspective.  Given the coach I believe Rivera to be, we absolutely overpaid.  But you are correct, there is inflation for these contracts too, and the Redskins have been so terrible for so long that they have to make deals like this, or overpay for a Landon Collins, to bring in top guys.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

I think you’re getting Grant confused with Bashaud Breeland, who (that same offseason) signed a big deal with Carolina that got voided after he failed a physical due to a previously suffered foot injury. 

Baltimore is the one that was shady, because they claimed their deal with Grant was voided by a failed physical, but he almost immediately passed IND’s physical. And just coincidentally, they voided the deal very close in time to the Raiders’ release of Michael Crabtree — who they signed shortly thereafter. 

Correct, but if I recall correctly, he injured himself right before or after signing it and it was a weird thing right? Like he needed skin grafts and such?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, e16bball said:

Yup. They cheated us out of a 3rd round comp

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

You’re right. That’s why we need to sign C.Littleton. 

Agreed, and if Not, SDH should be starting at WLB, not Holcolmb. Holcomb should be the starting MLB orSLB and come off the field in Nickle unless he's the signal caller. He's fast but struggled in coverage, SDH and JHC are much better in coverage. Holcolmb is the bigger guy and more sound tackler.

Edited by turtle28

• 2 years later...
On 12/31/2019 at 1:32 PM, Jeezy Fanatic said:

This is sort of a rehash of Mike Shanahan. Does he have a son that’s an up and comer that we can not drive away?

On 12/31/2019 at 3:26 PM, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Win a Super Bowl. Or even a playoff game. I don’t believe in Dan Snyder and I don’t believe in these retreads being successful under Dan snyder. 

#FootballSavant

• Like 2