Ron Rivera is Our New Coach

Ghostnote

On 2/26/2020 at 7:59 AM, MikeT14 said:

Correct, but if I recall correctly, he injured himself right before or after signing it and it was a weird thing right? Like he needed skin grafts and such?

Yes, he cut his foot badly are beach I believe after signing his contract & the Panthers got out of the contract. He needed a skin graft on his foot the cut was so bad. It was the Packers who eventually signed him but it wasn’t until during the season. A lot of us wanted to sign him for cheaper at that point but I’m pretty sure Brice never considered it.

13 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I love Joe Gibbs. But I'm never gonna forgive him for his role in foisting Rivera on this team.

Ironically they are both having the same issues.  Gibbs 2.0 was asked to be the pseudo G.M. and he was not good at that role.  Rivera the same.  They are both solid humans.  The difference is even with Gibbs not completely focusing on coaching he still got the best out of his players.  Rivera does not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

Ironically they are both having the same issues.  Gibbs 2.0 was asked to be the pseudo G.M. and he was not good at that role.  Rivera the same.  They are both solid humans.  The difference is even with Gibbs not completely focusing on coaching he still got the best out of his players.  Rivera does not.

I just meant Gibbs going to bat for Ron to be hired by Danny

40 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I just meant Gibbs going to bat for Ron to be hired by Danny

I got you, it just made me think of the similarities, sorry to side track.  Rivera needs to make some big changes on defense asap.  If he isn't already, it is time for him to take a stronger hand there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

Difference with Gibbs is that Breaux/Bugel/Saunders and Williams/Blache were competent guys to lead the offense and defense and truly allow Gibbs to be the CEO.  

The book is still out on Turner, and Del Rio should be that guy, but for whatever reason, he is not here.  

• Like 1

I have to assume as @Thaiphoon suggested that rivera is going nowhere soon.  So to me this is a moment when someone needs to step in and ask the hard questions.  The problem is all these people below Rivera seem to be yes man.  I guess maybe you need to owner to step in here because I am not sure who else.  But questions I would have are:

-You hired 4 assistant GMs did they all think you didn't need a backup center and that an injured Trai Turner and aging Norwell would be appropriate replacements?  Did anyone have a different view?  If so, why didn't you listen, if not, does it make you think you need a different point of view in the front office?

-Your defense has struggled for 2 years.  The 1st round linebacker you signed up was apparently misevaluated for the wrong position.  Defensive communication seems to be at the heart of the problem.  Did you ever think that maybe instead of throughout games swapping buffalo nickel safeties and bad linebackers as the middle you need a legitimate stable middle linebacker who can captain the defense?

-You made a significant trade and committed a huge amount of cap space to a qb 2 teams have discarded like trash.  Then you doubled down by defending the move and him and organizationally declaring him the guy like the questions everyone had weren't even valid.  In hindsight, this looks like a move out of desperation.  But worse than making the move is going so all in on him before he even took a snap.  What have you learned from this?

-You added zero quality depth at cornerback after your defensive backs were horrible the year before.  Tell me your thought process in team building there?

-You are in year 3 of a rebuild.   When you arrived here our position of strength and depth was defensive line.  We had Payne, Allen, Settle, Ionnaidis.  Now it looks like it will be a position of weakness next year after losing our best player.  If you don't value the position, why didn't you trade the players?  If you do value the position, then what on earth are you doing?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

I have to assume as @Thaiphoon suggested that rivera is going nowhere soon.  So to me this is a moment when someone needs to step in and ask the hard questions.  The problem is all these people below Rivera seem to be yes man.  I guess maybe you need to owner to step in here because I am not sure who else.  But questions I would have are:

-You hired 4 assistant GMs did they all think you didn't need a backup center and that an injured Trai Turner and aging Norwell would be appropriate replacements?  Did anyone have a different view?  If so, why didn't you listen, if not, does it make you think you need a different point of view in the front office?

-Your defense has struggled for 2 years.  The 1st round linebacker you signed up was apparently misevaluated for the wrong position.  Defensive communication seems to be at the heart of the problem.  Did you ever think that maybe instead of throughout games swapping buffalo nickel safeties and bad linebackers as the middle you need a legitimate stable middle linebacker who can captain the defense?

-You made a significant trade and committed a huge amount of cap space to a qb 2 teams have discarded like trash.  Then you doubled down by defending the move and him and organizationally declaring him the guy like the questions everyone had weren't even valid.  In hindsight, this looks like a move out of desperation.  But worse than making the move is going so all in on him before he even took a snap.  What have you learned from this?

-You added zero quality depth at cornerback after your defensive backs were horrible the year before.  Tell me your thought process in team building there?

-You are in year 3 of a rebuild.   When you arrived here our position of strength and depth was defensive line.  We had Payne, Allen, Settle, Ionnaidis.  Now it looks like it will be a position of weakness next year after losing our best player.  If you don't value the position, why didn't you trade the players?  If you do value the position, then what on earth are you doing?

Point 1: This is what happens when you give full personnel authority to a coach with a .500-ish record, three winning seasons in nine years (same amount as Bruce Allen had during the same timespan), and who finished his final four years with a sub-.500 record.  

Further on the GM point, I believe that there are three of them.  Two of them have sub-.500 records as GMs.  A third has a .500 record, but only two seasons on their resume.  

Point 2: See point one.  This mis-evaluation also occurs when you hire scouts and other front office members whose qualifications are mainly ex-Carolina guys, legacy Redskins hires, or both.  

This also happens when you draft combine warriors and based on need.  I would much rather draft BPA, and focus on players who produced results in college.

Point 3: Technically, they have not committed to Wentz beyond this year.  They can cut him after this season with essentially no dead cap space.  However, this lack of commitment has kept them from having cap space this year to fix other issues.  

Also, this organization leaks information like nobody’s business, and has done so ever since Snyder took over.  How do you think Wentz felt when news came out that the Redskins almost traded for Jimmy G the morning that he was set to face his former team?  

Point 4: See point 2 and 3.  Lack of ability to evaluate talent, as well as lack of cap space to address depth issues.  A failure to develop means we can’t even bring on the depth to fix it.  They hedged their bets on being able to develop talent and they’ve failed/. 

Point 5: Again, see points 2 and 3.  They had to let Ioannidis and Settle go due to cap reasons, and then to address depth they had to reach in the draft.  The injuries to Mathis and Young basically mean that Payne, Allen and Sweat are playing way too many snaps to be effective right now.  

• Like 1