Ron Rivera is Our New Coach

Ghostnote

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

From a scout reporting to Ben Standig: The loss to the Eagles wasn’t a result of scheme, but a lack of talent.  The Eagles won that game via the draft and free agency.  

Meanwhile, I just had an article get pushed to my phone quoting Rivera saying “it takes time.” 

Bullcrap.  

One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

6 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Point 5: Again, see points 2 and 3.  They had to let Ioannidis and Settle go due to cap reasons, and then to address depth they had to reach in the draft.  The injuries to Mathis and Young basically mean that Payne, Allen and Sweat are playing way too many snaps to be effective right now.  

I have to push back a little on some of those points & im no Rivera lover, I think he should be fired. 

1. You can’t foreshadow Mathis, Roullier & now Wes S getting injured. Those are 3 huge, huge injuries to guys that Rivera was counting on. It’s not his fault they got injured. You can only do so much to prepare depth & 2 of those guys were starters. When Our starting was in - Roullier- we didn’t have many OL issues. Now we do, coincidence? I think not. Wes S was a good option at starting RG.

2. I will give you that we haven’t developed enough guys, but it’s not like we haven’t done any development on this team since Ron was hired. He’s developed Kam Curl, Darrick Forrest, St. Juste, they did wonders with Heinicke, Cole Holcomb, Logan Thomas, Jahan Dotson looks like the real deal. While in Carolina he developed Curtis Samuel & he looks amazing. Gibson is a good electric player in space. 

https://omny.fm/shows/the-sports-junkies/commanders-lose-to-cowboys-calls-nfc-east-is-bette

"There's nothing they can do about Dan Snyder," John-Paul Flaim said to kick off the conversation. "They can change a coach. They can get a new quarterback. They can't change the owner. Everybody would change the owner. EVERYBODY."

EB: There's not one person that cares.

Cakes: There are no Rivera-backers left.

EB: Here's endeared himself to no one. In fact, can I make a pledge? Or make a request? Can Ron just quit? I would like to ask for Ron to tender his resignation.

Cakes: He's gonna walk away from $20 million?

EB: I'm formally asking Ron to tender his resignation. Have some dignity. Do the right thing. No one cares about you anymore. It's not working.

JP: A lot of people feel he's already quit. Like the lack of energy, the things that he says at the podium. He looks defeated!

EB: He looks tired. Go play golf at Pebble. You have a great life. You have a beautiful wife, athletic family. Go enjoy it! Go play golf!

Cakes: Yeah, but his life is better with another $20 million coming in over the next two-and-a-half years.

EB: He's got plenty of money. I'm asking you: Please... tender your resignation. Tender your resignation.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I have to push back a little on some of those points & im no Rivera lover, I think he should be fired. 

1. You can’t foreshadow Mathis, Roullier & now Wes S getting injured. Those are 3 huge, huge injuries to guys that Rivera was counting on. It’s not his fault they got injured. You can only do so much to prepare depth & 2 of those guys were starters. When Our starting was in - Roullier- we didn’t have many OL issues. Now we do, coincidence? I think not. Wes S was a good option at starting RG.

2. I will give you that we haven’t developed enough guys, but it’s not like we haven’t done any development on this team since Ron was hired. He’s developed Kam Curl, Darrick Forrest, St. Juste, they did wonders with Heinicke, Cole Holcomb, Logan Thomas, Jahan Dotson looks like the real deal. While in Carolina he developed Curtis Samuel & he looks amazing. Gibson is a good electric player in space. 

You can’t, but the decisions to let both Ioannidis and Settle go, when they knew that Chase Young was likely headed to the PUP, was a puzzling one.  Even more puzzling is the fact that they probably know Payne isn’t going to be retained, and that Allen can also give some reps at DE if needed.  All of that adds up to reaching in the draft for a replacement.  What they really should have done was bring back Settle for a few years, who would be rotational depth this year (more than he was in years past) and the likely starter next to Allen next year.  

I did not address the OL with my post.  Foreseeing all of those injuries are difficult to say the least, but the lack of progression from Cosmi is definitely hurting as well.  But they also could have gotten better options than Norwall and Turner in free agency……….had they been willing to commit beyond this year to Wentz and rework the contract.  Just playing devil’s advocate on that one.

Like I said in another thread, it’s too early to give Dotson anything.  You mention a few players, but they really hedged their bets at LBer and it has not panned out.  Them developing Curl and Forrest has allowed them to get by with subpar performance and a bad cap hit from Landon Collins, as well as average performance from Bobby McCain.  It’s a bit disappointing to see some of the defensive investments really hitting a wall right now.  

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

https://omny.fm/shows/the-sports-junkies/commanders-lose-to-cowboys-calls-nfc-east-is-bette

"There's nothing they can do about Dan Snyder," John-Paul Flaim said to kick off the conversation. "They can change a coach. They can get a new quarterback. They can't change the owner. Everybody would change the owner. EVERYBODY."

The only thing left that he hasn’t tried is to hire a young GM, give them complete control, and go from there.  

But it’s really sad for Rivera that he’s at this point.  I think it just goes to show you he knows he has the job, and he has no motivation.  On another hand, to see the majority of the fan base turning now, yet again, sucks.  Rivera is a good guy.  He’s not scum like Bruce Allen.  He’s not wholly inept like Steve Spurrier, he’s had some success in the NFL.  It’s just hard to watch this, even though I predicted it wouldn’t work out. 

• Like 2

I haven’t been Following closely but this last game I watched from start to finish. I’ve always kind of admired Rivera- overachiever, maximized his own personal talent while he played and that of his teams while coaching -while minimizing weaknesses. A bit of a tough guy who would take a gamble or two. But this team in the Snyder era is a Coach Killer. It almost ruined the legend of Gibbs as well, but he fortunately got out. Having Rivera lead both the front office and on the field is a fatal mistake, but that’s not to say he would be successful just coaching this team. I personally don’t think anyone and I mean anyone including modern day equivalents of Vince, Noll, Gibbs, Shula, Walsh can be successful here and now. Washington is purgatory until Snyder and his stench is gone

watching Rivera during the game and post game comments: he’s in agony and while he may not ever admit it-he would be happier a few months later after he’s been fired. 

Edited by Doc Draper
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I listened to the whole segment with JP, Cakes & EB chiming in on the air this morning. Lurch didn’t really say much.  It was good, hilarious & sad all at the same time. A lot of truth in what they were saying.

11 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

You can’t, but the decisions to let both Ioannidis and Settle go, when they knew that Chase Young was likely headed to the PUP, was a puzzling one.  Even more puzzling is the fact that they probably know Payne isn’t going to be retained, and that Allen can also give some reps at DE if needed.  All of that adds up to reaching in the draft for a replacement.  What they really should have done was bring back Settle for a few years, who would be rotational depth this year (more than he was in years past) and the likely starter next to Allen next year.  

I did not address the OL with my post.  Foreseeing all of those injuries are difficult to say the least, but the lack of progression from Cosmi is definitely hurting as well.  But they also could have gotten better options than Norwall and Turner in free agency……….had they been willing to commit beyond this year to Wentz and rework the contract.  Just playing devil’s advocate on that one.

Like I said in another thread, it’s too early to give Dotson anything.  You mention a few players, but they really hedged their bets at LBer and it has not panned out.  Them developing Curl and Forrest has allowed them to get by with subpar performance and a bad cap hit from Landon Collins, as well as average performance from Bobby McCain.  It’s a bit disappointing to see some of the defensive investments really hitting a wall right now.  

Definitely, like I said on the overall premise I agree with what you’re saying. Just pointing out a few things that seem to have worked & I said it definitely wasn’t enough. 

It’s just rough man. A lot of that they counted on to step up and replace the guys they lost hasn’t worked or those players got injured.

Sucks & so does Ron.

10 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

I haven’t been Following closely but this last game I watched from start to finish. I’ve always kind of admired Rivera- overachiever, maximized his own personal talent while he played and that of his teams while coaching -while minimizing weaknesses. A bit of a tough guy who would take a gamble or two. But this team in the Snyder era is a Coach Killer. It almost ruined the legend of Gibbs as well, but he fortunately got out. Having Rivera lead both the front office and on the field is a fatal mistake, but that’s not to say he would be successful just coaching this team. I personally don’t think anyone and I mean anyone including modern day equivalents of Vince, Noll, Gibbs, Shula, Walsh can be successful here and now. Washington is purgatory until Snyder and his stench is gone

watching Rivera during the game and post game comments: he’s in agony and while he may not ever admit it-he would be happier a few months later after he’s been fired. 

While true, here’s the kicker, outside of 2 seasons or was it 3? In Carolina, Ron wasn’t good there either. Ron has a great reputation as a good man & all that but I don’t actually know how good of a HC he is, most of the time it hasn’t been great in Carolina or here. And I know he’s downright awful as a personnel person.

Just bc no one has been good under Snyder for an extensive period of time doesn’t change the fact that Rivera wasn’t that good in Carolina either. He was mostly bad there too.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

While true, here’s the kicker, outside of 2 seasons or was it 3? In Carolina, Ron wasn’t good there either. Ron has a great reputation as a good man & all that but I don’t actually know how good of a HC he is, most of the time it hasn’t been great in Carolina or here. And I know he’s downright awful as a personnel person.

Just bc no one has been good under Snyder for an extensive period of time doesn’t change the fact that Rivera wasn’t that good in Carolina either. He was mostly bad there too.

Agreed.  I am not putting this on the Snyder curse.  Rivera made clear decisions that led us to this result.  He chose Wentz.  He chose Truner and Norwell and no center to improve o line.  He chose to play a season of football with no legit MLB on a defense where communication is a problem and average linebackers on the edge to boot.  He chose not to add depth at cornerback.  Next season we will notice that he chose to not extend payne after letting multiple solid dline walk.  And whatever he does on paper, something clearly isn't right with the practice habits and in game speed of adjustments. 

But he isn't going anywhere yet, so lets hope he recognizes his failures and learns from them.

• Like 1

There is no point in firing Rivera if Snyder is still here.  Doing yet another rebuild just gives Snyder a reason to pitch to the "mouthbreather" fans as napkin calls them a reason to stick around and pay more money. Rivera is the symptom not the disease.  They all need to go yes, but call for the removal of the real problem first. 

edit - I'll add this too, if you thought the candidate list of people willing to work for Snyder was short during the last hiring process was short just wait till this time.  No one is going to be willing to come here.  No reputable GM or HC will even consider coming here. You have an owner under congressional investigation for sexual misconduct. You have an owner known for a short fuse and meddling in personnel decisions. You have an owner known for forcing existing front office or even assistant coaches onto incoming staffs because he's too cheap to buy out their contracts. You have one of the worst stadium situations in the league. 

Edited by MKnight82

15 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

He’s clearly in over his head.  This reminds me of Holmgren in Seattle.  The team struggled when he was the GM/Head Coach.  They immediately took off once ownership hired a GM and told Holmgren to focus solely on coaching. 

I don’t think Rivera is that great of a head coach, but he should be getting better results here than he is.  We should not be getting blown out early and often during so many games.  I think he is spread far too thin handling the personnel side and trying to be too involved in the process.  

• Like 1

This has to end. There is simply no point in continuing down this road with Rivera. He’s in charge of everything and we’re 1-4 and completely out of any kind of division race. We’re so far behind everyone else in the division build-wise that there’s simply no fixing it with this regime and their terrible drafting an free agency approach. The Wentz trade is a complete disaster. They have to move on! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

This has to end. There is simply no point in continuing down this road with Rivera. He’s in charge of everything and we’re 1-4 and completely out of any kind of division race. We’re so far behind everyone else in the division build-wise that there’s simply no fixing it with this regime and their terrible drafting an free agency approach. The Wentz trade is a complete disaster. They have to move on! 

But but but...

We won the division his first year!!

I was told that winning the division would pay dividends and make our team better.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

But but but...

We won the division his first year!!

I was told that winning the division would pay dividends and make our team better.

Man, winning that one game just cost us so much! Would’ve been nice to have been able to take Parsons with a top 10 pick in 2020 rather than Jamin but I have to ask myself, if we had been able to take Parsons do you think JDR would be as creative as Quinn has in been in Dallas in how he’s used Parsons?

I say no. We would have Parsons dropping into coverage most of the game instead of blitzing him from different positions every snap.

They would’ve screwed up that draft picks also.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1