Ron Rivera is Our New Coach

Ghostnote

So O'Connell gets a fighting chance at the job, and Rivera is starting out in a good way by giving up playcalling duties.  As I often criticized Gruden and others, a head coach needs to be a head coach, and it's rare for someone not named Belichick to have success with personnel power and head coach, or head coach and playcalling.  If Rivera indeed has personnel power, he can't also be calling plays.  

Kevin better hope Mike Shula isn't in the candidate pool. 

50 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The defense needs a transition year as well.  While they are both likely going to be two gap systems, it isn't just an instant switch and everyone plays the same as they used to.  It's a drastically different way to play, different responsibilities, etc.  Sometimes it's taken teams 2-3 years to effectively change from one defense to the other, which is why a change is oftentimes rare.  

4 former 1st round draft picks asking to get after the QB shouldn't be that hard now they are doing what they got drafted because of. If Young is truly a Von Miller or Joey Bosa prospect he will make that type of impact on this Defense. Don't now lower the expectations. People say he's a "Game Changer" I need him to Be That for this D. Especially surrounded with Talent that's already on the Team. 

35 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

4 former 1st round draft picks asking to get after the QB shouldn't be that hard now they are doing what they got drafted because of. If Young is truly a Von Miller or Joey Bosa prospect he will make that type of impact on this Defense. Don't now lower the expectations. People say he's a "Game Changer" I need him to Be That for this D. Especially surrounded with Talent that's already on the Team. 

It's not about rushing the passer.  Changing defensive systems is a big deal for the front seven.  Responsibilities change, and players are now doing different things.  It's perhaps the biggest change for the linebacker corps, which is by far our weakest unit (and may be one of the weakest positions in the NFL) when you factor in the switch to a 4-3, as the most talented players are now considered defensive ends.  We still don't have anyone in the LB or S corps who can cover a great tight end or safety out of the backfield, so that once again remains a weakness at this time.  And teams don't often change defensive systems.  Again, it's a huge change, and as we saw last year, even some good talent in Carolina doesn't necessarily mean the transition is going to be smooth.  Expecting a top 10 defense in year one changing systems is just setting yourself up to be disappointed, I don't care who the coach is, or how much talent is on the roster.  

The Ravens switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 during the 2002 off-season, and had Mike Nolan, Rex Ryan, Mike Smith and Donnie Henderson all coaching during the transition, some of the best minds and coaches in the NFL. The defense had Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, Ed Hartwell, Chris McAlister, Ed Reed and Adalius Thomas on the roster, amongst a slew of other talented players, and they finished 19th in points and 22nd in yards.  Meanwhile, under Marvin Lewis the previous three years, they finished 6, 1 and 4 in points allowed, and 2nd in yardage allowed each year.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It's not about rushing the passer.  Changing defensive systems is a big deal for the front seven.  Responsibilities change, and players are now doing different things.  It's perhaps the biggest change for the linebacker corps, which is by far our weakest unit (and may be one of the weakest positions in the NFL) when you factor in the switch to a 4-3, as the most talented players are now considered defensive ends.  We still don't have anyone in the LB or S corps who can cover a great tight end or safety out of the backfield, so that once again remains a weakness at this time.  And teams don't often change defensive systems.  Again, it's a huge change, and as we saw last year, even some good talent in Carolina doesn't necessarily mean the transition is going to be smooth.  Expecting a top 10 defense in year one changing systems is just setting yourself up to be disappointed, I don't care who the coach is, or how much talent is on the roster.  

The Ravens switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 during the 2002 off-season, and had Mike Nolan, Rex Ryan, Mike Smith and Donnie Henderson all coaching during the transition, some of the best minds and coaches in the NFL. The defense had Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, Ed Hartwell, Chris McAlister, Ed Reed and Adalius Thomas on the roster, amongst a slew of other talented players, and they finished 19th in points and 22nd in yards.  Meanwhile, under Marvin Lewis the previous three years, they finished 6, 1 and 4 in points allowed, and 2nd in yardage allowed each year.  

So just forget what adding Miller and Bosa did for the Broncos and 49ers right? 49ers D has muchly improved and because of that their D Coordinator in a HC candidate. Von Miller is key to why the Broncos D was put on the map. I'm not tryna think negatively about this situation. I see alot of positive things coming with the hire amd switch. The needs you have fill them ETHIER through the Draft or Free Agency. Some won't be filled this year, but can be in the Near FUTURE. 

27 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

So just forget what adding Miller and Bosa did for the Broncos and 49ers right? 49ers D has muchly improved and because of that their D Coordinator in a HC candidate. Von Miller is key to why the Broncos D was put on the map. I'm not tryna think negatively about this situation. I see alot of positive things coming with the hire amd switch. The needs you have fill them ETHIER through the Draft or Free Agency. Some won't be filled this year, but can be in the Near FUTURE. 

On the Von Miller comparison- Martindale's defense was 32nd in points allowed and yards in 2010 in Year 2 of a 3-4 defense switch.  Dennis Allen replaced Don Martindale and they switched back to a 4-3 defense in 2011, and the defense ranked 24th in points, 20th in yards.  

On the Nick Bosa comparison- Robert Saleh's defense has gone from 25th in points and 24th in yards to 28/13 in 2018 to 8/2.  So yes, Nick Bosa has had an immediate impact.  However, Nick Bosa came into Year 3 of a defensive coordinator, and the 49ers have run the 3-4 at least as long as we have, possibly longer.  

Which is my point- you are not going to see a huge jump in our defensive ranks into the top 10, even with a talent like Chase Young, when you are also switching defensive schemes.  There are 10 other starters and 26 other players switching the system with Young, and all will have new responsibilities and things they will have to do, new terminology, etc.  Even a team as talented as the Baltimore Ravens and with a great coaching staff struggled when they switched defenses.  

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

On the Von Miller comparison- Martindale's defense was 32nd in points allowed and yards in 2010 in Year 2 of a 3-4 defense switch.  Dennis Allen replaced Don Martindale and they switched back to a 4-3 defense in 2011, and the defense ranked 24th in points, 20th in yards.  

On the Nick Bosa comparison- Robert Saleh's defense has gone from 25th in points and 24th in yards to 28/13 in 2018 to 8/2.  So yes, Nick Bosa has had an immediate impact.  However, Nick Bosa came into Year 3 of a defensive coordinator, and the 49ers have run the 3-4 at least as long as we have, possibly longer.  

Which is my point- you are not going to see a huge jump in our defensive ranks into the top 10, even with a talent like Chase Young, when you are also switching defensive schemes.  There are 10 other starters and 26 other players switching the system with Young, and all will have new responsibilities and things they will have to do, new terminology, etc.  Even a team as talented as the Baltimore Ravens and with a great coaching staff struggled when they switched defenses.  

Cool dude, stay sour. 

2 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Cool dude, stay sour. 

For a guy who likes facts, you are ignoring every stat, ranking and situation that has happened before in the NFL.  Prove to me and find a defensive unit that switched defensive schemes and in one year, went from a bottom ranked unit into the top 10.  Because I guarantee you, it's going to be extremely hard to find, if not impossible, because the changes in what players are responsible for doing is still being learned throughout the first season.  

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

For a guy who likes facts, you are ignoring every stat, ranking and situation that has happened before in the NFL.  Prove to me and find a defensive unit that switched defensive schemes and in one year, went from a bottom ranked unit into the top 10.  Because I guarantee you, it's going to be extremely hard to find, if not impossible, because the changes in what players are responsible for doing is still being learned throughout the first season.  

To flip it, how many of those teams added a generational pass-rushing talent the offseason in which they made the switch? 

Edited by HTTRDynasty

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I won't start this year going back and forth with a downer. All will be proven next season. Talk to you then. Your ignoring #Facts San Fran D has alot to do with their dominance this year. 

Edited by Skins212689

45 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It’s FACTS nap. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

To flip it, how many of those teams added a generational pass-rushing talent the offseason in which they made the switch? 

The Ravens went from a top 3 unit with Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Peter Boulware and others, to a top 20 unit.  

Von Miller's rookie season, they went from the worst ranked defense in a 3-4, to a high 20's defense in a 4-3.  

This players are humans, not machines.  It is going to take them time to learn the system, learn their responsibilities, learn their gaps and assignments and get it down to perfection.  That's not even counting having the right player archetypes in place from Day One.