Ron Rivera is Our New Coach

Ghostnote

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I want to hear from Dan Snyder and have him answer questions from the media.  He needs to be accountable for the past decade of futility and backstabbing.  

Dream on pal...No chance he admits any wrong doing.

Just because he made some good hires and cleaned house, doesn’t mean he lost his ego. 

Excited for Ron and def for JDR with his previous success stories and our obvious talent pieces on the defensive side of the ball. 

As for Dan...it is what it is. See if anything changes. My Fire Bruce Allen T-shirt I've been wearing worked. Maybe my sell the team one will too. 

• Like 1

I know not everyone in here is on board with the hiring. Looking at the overall picture you have to be happy that Bruce is gone and I think we should keep an open mind on how this goes. It should be a happy day in Redskin Nation! I know I’m excited at the potential that these moves can bring. There is some type of respectability we have already and haven’t played one game under this coach. Positives things for 2020 and looking forward to the season instead of the draft, 5 games into the season. 

• Like 3

On 1/1/2020 at 1:02 AM, Counselor said:

Y’all make the playoffs next year. 

On 1/1/2020 at 1:48 AM, PARROTHEAD said:

Were a 3 win team that wasnt eliminated from the playoffs till December 11th.

Bad as the division is. It does feel like a fairly safe bet.

I will bet against this, even with the East being down. The team is a LONG way from coming together and making the playoffs. Maybe Rivera can right the ship in a single year, but I think that's asking too much.

On 1/1/2020 at 12:00 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

Getting it right, Take 2: I am told all but 5 coaches were released.  Here is who stays: OC Kevin O’Connell, RB Randy Jordan, ST Nate Kaczor, Weight Coach. #httr   #ronrivera #redskins @NBCSWashington

O'Connell, Jordan, Kaczor plus "Weight Coach" equals four ... Take number 3?

22 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Changing defensive systems is a big deal for the front seven.  Responsibilities change, and players are now doing different things.  It's perhaps the biggest change for the linebacker corps, which is by far our weakest unit (and may be one of the weakest positions in the NFL) when you factor in the switch to a 4-3, as the most talented players are now considered defensive ends. 

Yes, it is. MLB will become critical.

We still don't have anyone in the LB or S corps who can cover a great tight end or safety out of the backfield, so that once again remains a weakness at this time. 

They haven't been able to do that in nearly 20 years, regardless of the front they ran.

And teams don't often change defensive systems.  Again, it's a huge change, and as we saw last year, even some good talent in Carolina doesn't necessarily mean the transition is going to be smooth.  Expecting a top 10 defense in year one changing systems is just setting yourself up to be disappointed, I don't care who the coach is, or how much talent is on the roster.  

No, teams generally don't. They want to rely on continuity for their players muscle memory.

However, outside of Kerrigan, most of the front seven defensive talent is 27 or younger (Bostic is 28). So, they may not have had the muscle memory harden. Also, most of the defensive talent played in a 4-3 in college outside of the Alabama guys (if I am wrong on this, please correct me). For guys like Allen and Payne, they've had experience in four man fronts when the team went into its nickel packages. Reuben Foster and Shaun Dion Hamilton might have the biggest challenges switching. Kerrigan also might, but he has also played hand in the dirt in the nickels.

Another advantage that the team will have going forward is not having to worry about projecting and retraining college 4-3 players into a 3-4 mindset. The team will no longer have to ask "can this edge rusher drop back in coverage?" (hopefully) The talent evaluators can focus on the player's abilities as shown in film and workouts. It also means that draftees can hopefully contribute sooner since the learning curve won't be (or at least shouldn't be) as steep.

The Ravens switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 during the 2002 off-season, and had Mike Nolan, Rex Ryan, Mike Smith and Donnie Henderson all coaching during the transition, some of the best minds and coaches in the NFL. The defense had Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, Ed Hartwell, Chris McAlister, Ed Reed and Adalius Thomas on the roster, amongst a slew of other talented players, and they finished 19th in points and 22nd in yards.  Meanwhile, under Marvin Lewis the previous three years, they finished 6, 1 and 4 in points allowed, and 2nd in yardage allowed each year.  

I have argued in the past that the transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 seems to take about three years (allowing for guys to learn new responsibilities, bring in new players, and get rid of those who cannot do it). I haven't paid as much attention for teams going the other way, but I think it should be shorter as you can leverage players' previous experiences in a four man front.

It could very easily be a long season next year defensively speaking. But let's be fair here, they haven't been good defensively in the 3-4, so why not give it a shot?

• Like 1

Dan wants a “Coach Centered Approach”. That’s good to hear 

Ron wants a “Player Centered Approach”. 
Also good to hear. 

One thing is for sure, if Rivera can command a locker room he way he commands a press conference this team has a chance to return to relevance. Really good to hear something like that after Grudens mumbling, Shannys yukking it up, and Zorns.....Zorning. 
Happy thanksgiving!!!

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

Other than not knowing the calendar, how is the press conference going?

One thing I’ll take away is Rivera said Dwayne “needs to step up and become a leader”, and that a plan will be in place for him. 
He also said there’s “Veterans that WILL PLAY”. 
It’s enough to kick around if Alex Smith is the week 1 starter for sure