Offseason To-Do List: Resigning Free Agents

Beck Bristow

23 free agents of various types. Typically you keep  ERFA just because you can, even if it's just camp bodies.

RFAs are more interesting.  I'm not worried about any of those corner backs as none are difference makers and Tony McRae is pretty worthless. 

Cethan Carter keep

Hardy Nickerson  let go

Alex Redmond  let go

Josh Tupou keep 

Brandon Wilson keep

As far as UFAs go, I'm wanting to resign the following: 

AJ Green, Darqueze Dennard, Andrew Billings , Clayton Fejeldom and Tyler Eifert if he's still cheap. 

Any thoughts on this list?

A.J. Green    WR    CIN    UFA   
Darqueze Dennard    CB    CIN    UFA    -
Tyler Eifert    TE    CIN    UFA    -
Kerry Wynn    DE    CIN    UFA    -
John Jerry    G    CIN    UFA    -
LaRoy Reynolds    ILB    CIN    UFA    -
Nick Vigil    OLB    CIN    UFA    -
Andrew Billings    DT    CIN    UFA    -
Brandon Wilson    S    CIN    RFA    -
Josh Tupou    DT    CIN    RFA    -
Tony McRae    CB    CIN    RFA    -
Torry McTyer    CB    CIN    RFA    -
Alex Redmond    G    CIN    RFA    -
Greg Mabin    CB    CIN    RFA    -
Hardy Nickerson Jr.    ILB    CIN    RFA    -
Clayton Fejedelem    S    CIN    UFA    -
Trayvon Henderson    S    CIN    ERFA    -
Cethan Carter    TE    CIN    RFA    -
Niles Scott    DT    CIN    ERFA    -
Jordan Franks    TE    CIN    ERFA    -
Javarius Leamon    T    CIN    ERFA    -
Freedom Akinmoladun    DE    CIN    ERFA  
Brady Sheldon    OLB

2 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

A.J. Green    WR    CIN    UFA   
Darqueze Dennard    CB    CIN    UFA    -
Tyler Eifert    TE    CIN    UFA    -
Kerry Wynn    DE    CIN    UFA
    -
John Jerry    G    CIN    UFA    -
LaRoy Reynolds    ILB    CIN    UFA    -
Nick Vigil    OLB    CIN    UFA    -
Andrew Billings    DT    CIN    UFA    -
Brandon Wilson    S    CIN    RFA    -
Josh Tupou    DT    CIN    RFA    -

Tony McRae    CB    CIN    RFA    -
Torry McTyer    CB    CIN    RFA    -
Alex Redmond    G    CIN    RFA    -
Greg Mabin    CB    CIN    RFA    -
Hardy Nickerson Jr.    ILB    CIN    RFA    -
Clayton Fejedelem    S    CIN    UFA    -
Trayvon Henderson    S    CIN    ERFA    -
Cethan Carter    TE    CIN    RFA    -
Niles Scott    DT    CIN    ERFA    -
Jordan Franks    TE    CIN    ERFA    -
Javarius Leamon    T    CIN    ERFA    -
Freedom Akinmoladun    DE    CIN    ERFA  

Brady Sheldon    OLB

Bolded the ones I would keep. 

I would think they could get Vigil back on a cheap three year deal, and he played well enough down the stretch to warrant it. 

Wynn showed some promise, and I bet they could get him on a cheap deal too. 

Tupuo and Wilson are must keeps. 

Billings I'm on the fence with, but again, should be a cheap deal. Can cut him later if it's not working. 

Same with Eifert, though again like other years, I'd not build the offense around him. 

They need to figure out a way to keep Dennard and Green. Or else tag and trade Green. But they're difference makers out there, and this teams lacks for difference makers. 

40 minutes ago, theJ said:

I would think they could get Vigil back on a cheap three year deal, and he played well enough down the stretch to warrant it. 

Billings I'm on the fence with, but again, should be a cheap deal. Can cut him later if it's not working. 

Same with Eifert, though again like other years, I'd not build the offense around him. 

They need to figure out a way to keep Dennard and Green. Or else tag and trade Green. But they're difference makers out there, and this teams lacks for difference makers. 

I thought Billings had a lot of good moments this season.  Needs to be in a rotation though.  Wynn seems like filler to me.  A legitimate NFL player,  but never someone that will give you impact plays. Green I think we have to keep.  There should be room in the budget to sign him and a player of that caliber will both ease the load on the other receivers,  as well as the qb.

Pretty well done with Vigil. 

• Like 1

I' look to keep AJ Green, Darqueze Dennard, Andrew Billings , Clayton Fejeldom and maybe Eifert.  Billings is a vital piece in the rotation and should be somewhat affordable ($4-5 mill per).  Fej is too important to special teams to not bring back.

We need to extend Tupou and Wilson, with Wilson on a 3-4 year deal.

You always keep your ERFAs unless you know they absolutely suck.

4 hours ago, theJ said:

I pretty much agree with this.

Although I suspect Fejedelem will bolt for a chance to start elsewhere. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, showtime said:

How likely is it that AJ Green sign elsewhere?

Pretty well 0%.  It's a long term deal with the Bengals, or the franchise tag.  Outside chance that they trade him, but it won't be his choice of destinations.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sparky151 said:

But he may want a raise, since the cap keeps going up. His play doesn't warrant a raise however. So there may not be agreement on a longer deal.

Yeah that makes the situation and negotiation really tricky.  AJ has made some comments like 'if they don't want to pay me what i'm worth, then let me go and i'll find someone who does' and 'it's not my job to prove i'm healthy'.

Early in the 2019 season, i thought an agreement was a 6" putt away, done deal.  But as the season unfolded, and he never got healthy, it turned it into a 6' putt.  Now it's 50/50 at best.

Someone may be willing to pay AJ his pre-injury value.  But is AJ willing to play a year or two on the tag to find out?

13 hours ago, otg said:

I can't imagine a one year contract is plan A to 32 year old wide receiver with a significant injury history.

It's more about his perceived worth, and what he'll accept as a contract.  I'm sure the team wants to resign him, but likely at a lower or similar cap value to his last contract.  He probably wants a significant raise, injury history and all.

His ankle injury really screwed up this contract negotiation.

Franchise AJ and be done with it.  He's going to want dang near $20 million a year over 4-5 years, and he's only played 8 of the last 32 games.  If someone is willing to overpay to get him, then trade, if not, let him have a prove it year and then go off into FA in 2021.