Offseason To-Do List: Resigning Free Agents

Beck Bristow

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Franchise AJ and be done with it.  He's going to want dang near $20 million a year over 4-5 years, and he's only played 8 of the last 32 games.  If someone is willing to overpay to get him, then trade, if not, let him have a prove it year and then go off into FA in 2021.

I'd actually be on board with overpaying him.  They have a ton of money they can't roll over to next year, and are unlikely to attract any top FA's.  Anyone they want they're going to have to overpay anyway.  May as well pay the superstar you know.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, theJ said:

I'd actually be on board with overpaying him.  They have a ton of money they can't roll over to next year, and are unlikely to attract any top FA's.  Anyone they want they're going to have to overpay anyway.  May as well pay the superstar you know.

I'm on board for this.  Get him, Mixon and Denard extended now so we can use this years cap for bonuses.

9 hours ago, theJ said:

It's more about his perceived worth, and what he'll accept as a contract.  I'm sure the team wants to resign him, but likely at a lower or similar cap value to his last contract.  He probably wants a significant raise, injury history and all.

His ankle injury really screwed up this contract negotiation.

Oh I totally agree. Just saying that a one year contract offers no security regardless of its value. Then it becomes a bet on whether or not his health and production in that year help or hurt his market value. 

9 hours ago, theJ said:

I’m fine overpaying him in dollars. Not in years. He wants $20M, fine. I’m capping him at 3 years. With the wear and tear on his body and age. I’m not interested in 5 years at that cost. Would be interested in putting in a rolling guarantee clause. He has to play 12 games or hit certain stats for a portion of the next years contract to be guaranteed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

AJ is nearing the end of his career. He probably won't be playing in 5 years. It's fine to sign him to a 4 or 5 year extension as long as it's backloaded. That would let the club get out of it after 2 or 3 years if his play declines further. 

One of those 5 year big money deals that is actually a 2-3 year deal that is about 40% of the reported contract worth

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:
1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

AJ is nearing the end of his career. He probably won't be playing in 5 years. It's fine to sign him to a 4 or 5 year extension as long as it's backloaded. That would let the club get out of it after 2 or 3 years if his play declines further. 

One of those 5 year big money deals that is actually a 2-3 year deal that is about 40% of the reported contract worth

There may be some issues doing what you're suggesting, because of the expiring CBA.

https://overthecap.com/explaining-some-of-the-different-salary-cap-rules-for-2020/

The teams and fans should assume that the CBA will be extended without ever going to an uncapped year.  In the meantime, it's not really too hard to work around the various special rules for the last year of the present CBA. So we could sign Green to a 5 year deal, give him a roster bonus instead of a signing bonus, offset that with a low salary in years 1 and 2, then whatever salary is agreeable to both parties in the out years. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 3:12 PM, theJ said:

Pretty well 0%.  It's a long term deal with the Bengals, or the franchise tag.  Outside chance that they trade him, but it won't be his choice of destinations.

Damn, came here to investigate this. Wanted the Chiefs to get in on him. Tagging him does make a lot of sense. If he earns a legacy payday in a tagged year then screw it, pay him.

Green has missed 23 of the team's last 32 games. He hasn't "earned" a big payday. He needs to show he's healthy and back to form to get a big extension. If he signs the franchise tender, he'll get a chance to do that at minicamp. If he skips minicamp, that raises suspicions. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Green has missed 23 of the team's last 32 games. He hasn't "earned" a big payday. He needs to show he's healthy and back to form to get a big extension. If he signs the franchise tender, he'll get a chance to do that at minicamp. If he skips minicamp, that raises suspicions. 

He'll skip minicamps on the tag, no question.  And it won't be related to current health.  He just doesn't want to get hurt again and further risk not getting an extension.

But otherwise i agree.  He hasn't earned it.  The question is whether the Bengals should take a risk and sign him anyway knowing they won't be able to attract big FA's, and only have 7 draft picks.  If they want to compete, the talent has to come from somewhere.

If the Bengals tag Green, then he can sign the tender or not. If he does, then he's under contract and must attend mini-camp. Skipping it would make it unlikely he gets a longer deal. If he declines to sign the tender, he has no obligation to attend mini-camp but the first step to getting a multi-year deal done is signing the tender and undergoing a physical. The team will also want to see him workout since his last game was so long ago.

On 1/31/2020 at 3:10 PM, sparky151 said:

If the Bengals tag Green, then he can sign the tender or not. If he does, then he's under contract and must attend mini-camp. Skipping it would make it unlikely he gets a longer deal. If he declines to sign the tender, he has no obligation to attend mini-camp but the first step to getting a multi-year deal done is signing the tender and undergoing a physical. The team will also want to see him workout since his last game was so long ago.

They're "mandatory", but I don't expect him to show. He'll take the fine and avoid any sort of injury potential.