Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Beck Bristow

Offseason To-Do List: Resigning Free Agents

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Franchise AJ and be done with it.  He's going to want dang near $20 million a year over 4-5 years, and he's only played 8 of the last 32 games.  If someone is willing to overpay to get him, then trade, if not, let him have a prove it year and then go off into FA in 2021.

I'd actually be on board with overpaying him.  They have a ton of money they can't roll over to next year, and are unlikely to attract any top FA's.  Anyone they want they're going to have to overpay anyway.  May as well pay the superstar you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming we draft Burrow, we should tag and re-sign AJ. That would give us 2 good WRs along with Boyd. Ross and the others are nothing special so I'd be fine with a WR at 33 if we cover the O-line and LB in free agency. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theJ said:

I'd actually be on board with overpaying him.  They have a ton of money they can't roll over to next year, and are unlikely to attract any top FA's.  Anyone they want they're going to have to overpay anyway.  May as well pay the superstar you know.

I'm on board for this.  Get him, Mixon and Denard extended now so we can use this years cap for bonuses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, theJ said:

It's more about his perceived worth, and what he'll accept as a contract.  I'm sure the team wants to resign him, but likely at a lower or similar cap value to his last contract.  He probably wants a significant raise, injury history and all.

His ankle injury really screwed up this contract negotiation.

Oh I totally agree. Just saying that a one year contract offers no security regardless of its value. Then it becomes a bet on whether or not his health and production in that year help or hurt his market value. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, theJ said:

I'd actually be on board with overpaying him.  They have a ton of money they can't roll over to next year, and are unlikely to attract any top FA's.  Anyone they want they're going to have to overpay anyway.  May as well pay the superstar you know.

I’m fine overpaying him in dollars. Not in years. He wants $20M, fine. I’m capping him at 3 years. With the wear and tear on his body and age. I’m not interested in 5 years at that cost. Would be interested in putting in a rolling guarantee clause. He has to play 12 games or hit certain stats for a portion of the next years contract to be guaranteed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AJ is nearing the end of his career. He probably won't be playing in 5 years. It's fine to sign him to a 4 or 5 year extension as long as it's backloaded. That would let the club get out of it after 2 or 3 years if his play declines further. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

AJ is nearing the end of his career. He probably won't be playing in 5 years. It's fine to sign him to a 4 or 5 year extension as long as it's backloaded. That would let the club get out of it after 2 or 3 years if his play declines further. 

One of those 5 year big money deals that is actually a 2-3 year deal that is about 40% of the reported contract worth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:
1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

AJ is nearing the end of his career. He probably won't be playing in 5 years. It's fine to sign him to a 4 or 5 year extension as long as it's backloaded. That would let the club get out of it after 2 or 3 years if his play declines further. 

One of those 5 year big money deals that is actually a 2-3 year deal that is about 40% of the reported contract worth

There may be some issues doing what you're suggesting, because of the expiring CBA.

https://overthecap.com/explaining-some-of-the-different-salary-cap-rules-for-2020/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The teams and fans should assume that the CBA will be extended without ever going to an uncapped year.  In the meantime, it's not really too hard to work around the various special rules for the last year of the present CBA. So we could sign Green to a 5 year deal, give him a roster bonus instead of a signing bonus, offset that with a low salary in years 1 and 2, then whatever salary is agreeable to both parties in the out years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×