Offseason To-Do List: Resigning Free Agents

Beck Bristow

9 hours ago, Carson4MVP said:

Or just not sign the tag until right before the season starts or even after a couple weeks of the season. 

He won't get a long term deal without showing he's healthy and in form. He can't get a long term deal after July 15 so at that point he should be signing the tender if he hasn't done so already. If Green is foolish enough to not sign the tender, the contract isn't guaranteed and the team can release him with no cap effects. If he signs the tender, the gets 18 mil guaranteed. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

He won't get a long term deal without showing he's healthy and in form. He can't get a long term deal after July 15 so at that point he should be signing the tender if he hasn't done so already. If Green is foolish enough to not sign the tender, the contract isn't guaranteed and the team can release him with no cap effects. If he signs the tender, the gets 18 mil guaranteed. 

Yeah. I understand how it works. But if the last few years is any indication, players are getting smarter about signing and playing the whole preseason and season on the tag. He can sit out til week 4-5 and drastically cut down injury risk on the season. Hit FA next year after playing 12 games to show he’s healthy and get the deal he wants. This year is just a means to an end to him (if we tag him). 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Carson4MVP said:

Yeah. I understand how it works. But if the last few years is any indication, players are getting smarter about signing and playing the whole preseason and season on the tag. He can sit out til week 4-5 and drastically cut down injury risk on the season. Hit FA next year after playing 12 games to show he’s healthy and get the deal he wants. This year is just a means to an end to him (if we tag him). 

Agreed.  If tagged, he's not worried about getting a long term deal with the Bengals.  He's looking for one last payout in FA in the following year.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 11:06 PM, theJ said:

They're "mandatory", but I don't expect him to show. He'll take the fine and avoid any sort of injury potential. 

And i'm ok with that.  I'd rather a salty Green playing for his next contract then giving him a big 5 year deal with him missing more than half of it.

16 hours ago, theJ said:

Agreed.  If tagged, he's not worried about getting a long term deal with the Bengals.  He's looking for one last payout in FA in the following year.

Nobody is going to give him a big payday if he is sulky on the tag. It's already far more than his open market value. Five years ago Green was a top 5 receiver in the NFL. Now if he's healthy and in form, he's maybe a top 10 WR. But if he is tagged and skips camps, refuses a long term deal, and only plays part of the season, he'll drive his value down. 

Bengals want Burrow to be a success from the start. If he does that with Green only playing part time,  then Bengals don't need Green long term and there goes his best option. 

We have the money to pay AJ what he wants. If the asking price isn't absurd I think we should just go ahead and match it. I hate the idea of Burrow coming in as a rookie and having Green contract disputes/tension/distraction in the locker room over the summer and into the new season. It's not worth the hassle.

16 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Nobody is going to give him a big payday if he is sulky on the tag. It's already far more than his open market value. Five years ago Green was a top 5 receiver in the NFL. Now if he's healthy and in form, he's maybe a top 10 WR. But if he is tagged and skips camps, refuses a long term deal, and only plays part of the season, he'll drive his value down. 

Bengals want Burrow to be a success from the start. If he does that with Green only playing part time,  then Bengals don't need Green long term and there goes his best option. 

I agree with your assessment, but i don't think AJ necessarily sees it that way.  To him, it's a decision between signing a 3ish year deal at below market rate to play for the Bengals now, or play a year on the tag and bet on himself to get a better deal next year.

I've been saying this for a while, but i still think the Bengals get a deal done with him.  But if they're not offering enough, he's going to take Option 2, bet on himself, and skip everything except training camp to try to cash in next year.

8 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

We have the money to pay AJ what he wants. If the asking price isn't absurd I think we should just go ahead and match it. I hate the idea of Burrow coming in as a rookie and having Green contract disputes/tension/distraction in the locker room over the summer and into the new season. It's not worth the hassle.

I agree.

I'd pay AJ and Mixon.  I know both are probably overpays, but they're not going to get anything in the sort of attractive FA's interested in them, and they have no one else to pay.  Their last several drafts have been so bad that their model of draft of retain has left them flush with cash (not a good thing).

IMO, it's time to pay for some bad value so that they at least have some value at all.

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

As for Mixon, I'm all for bringing him back at a decent wage. But my god, does that Giovani Bernard contract look even more stupid now.

Yeah i feel like i keep saying this, but...it's not that the contract was bad.  He's worth that much.  But they don't use him, so yeah it looks really bad.

They could potentially cut him this year, but i don't think they will.  Especially since it's likely that they won't want to extend Mixon, and he's going to hold out.  So they're going to need Gio to carry the load for a while during Mixon's absence.

Just now, theJ said:

won't want to extend Mixon, and he's going to hold out. 

To clarify here, this is basically a done deal.  Paul Dehner Jr. reported a month or two ago that Mixon actually tried to hold out last year, but was informed the Bengals weren't actually allowed to extend him until the 2020 offseason.  So after a 1 day holdout that wasn't really reported anywhere, he showed up for OTA's or w/e it was he was skipping out on. 

So yeah, he's going to hold out.  Get mentally prepared for that.

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

Yeah i feel like i keep saying this, but...it's not that the contract was bad.  He's worth that much.  But they don't use him, so yeah it looks really bad.

They could potentially cut him this year, but i don't think they will.  Especially since it's likely that they won't want to extend Mixon, and he's going to hold out.  So they're going to need Gio to carry the load for a while during Mixon's absence.

Why wouldn't they want to extend Mixon now?  It's the bengals way.  I could see Mixon wanting to possibly test the waters, but he's been saying all along he loves it here.

Just now, theJ said:

Yep. Plus, we don't have a back at the moment that could replace Mixon if he were to miss time. I think he stays with the team for at least 2020.

What do we place Kirkpatrick's odds at returning in 2020? 80%? I'm hoping we resign Dennard and WJIII this offseason and hand Kirkpatrick his walking papers. Philips should be no further than the 3rd corner on the team. We need to give that guy as much PT as possible.

• Like 1