Offseason To-Do List: Resigning Free Agents

Beck Bristow

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

To clarify here, this is basically a done deal.  Paul Dehner Jr. reported a month or two ago that Mixon actually tried to hold out last year, but was informed the Bengals weren't actually allowed to extend him until the 2020 offseason.  So after a 1 day holdout that wasn't really reported anywhere, he showed up for OTA's or w/e it was he was skipping out on. 

So yeah, he's going to hold out.  Get mentally prepared for that.

If that is true, then Mixon's agent is an absolute moron.  The agent should know better.  another reason to get it done this offseason.

13 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

If that is true, then Mixon's agent is an absolute moron.  The agent should know better.  another reason to get it done this offseason.

It's true.  It was presented in a way that made it sound like Mixon didn't consult his agent.  He was consulting with Zeke and Melvin Gordon.

17 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Why wouldn't they want to extend Mixon now?  It's the bengals way.  I could see Mixon wanting to possibly test the waters, but he's been saying all along he loves it here.

I would assume because the deal will be really expensive.

It is an incredibly deep RB class. I’d be fine with drafting a replacement if he wants to hold out. Put him in a situation Gordon found himself in last year where the team is better off without you and you have even less leverage than you do now. Good teams don’t over pay RBs. 

1 hour ago, Carson4MVP said:

It is an incredibly deep RB class. I’d be fine with drafting a replacement if he wants to hold out. Put him in a situation Gordon found himself in last year where the team is better off without you and you have even less leverage than you do now. Good teams don’t over pay RBs. 

Right, but the problem is that they only have 7 draft picks.  If they choose to stand on principle, they're essentially saying that one of those draft picks is the new starter at the expense of another position.

Put it this way.  Your choices are:

Mixon, some 3rd round LB or DE

3rd round RB and a pile of cash they're not spending otherwise.

Mixon deserves a new contract. I doubt he is looking for Gurley or Elliott money, 12 mil per year. He hasn't led the league in rushing or yards from scrimmage. So I think he'll be reasonable. His backup is making 5 mil per year. I'd bet something like a 4 year extension for 35 mil with 10 mil in signing bonus would get it done.

22 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Mixon will want to be paid big money for sure. I’m torn on it. Hopefully we can give him a big signing bonus up front and not make it such a big cap hit

I'd do it the opposite way. If you pay a big signing bonus, it will definitely hit the cap at some point. If you go with big salaries, then it's pay as you go and you can get out of the contract more easily if his play falls off. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Mixon deserves a new contract. I doubt he is looking for Gurley or Elliott money, 12 mil per year. He hasn't led the league in rushing or yards from scrimmage. So I think he'll be reasonable. His backup is making 5 mil per year. I'd bet something like a 4 year extension for 35 mil with 10 mil in signing bonus would get it done.

He led the AFC in rushing in 2018, IIRC. IMO he'll be looking for money near the top of the league. 

2 hours ago, theJ said:

He led the AFC in rushing in 2018, IIRC. IMO he'll be looking for money near the top of the league. 

That was with something like 1200 yards. Not especially impressive and behind at least a couple of NFC players. Mixon can ask for whatever he wants but Mike Brown isn't going to pay him 12 mil+ per year. RBs are easy to find and have short careers. Mixon has outplayed his rookie deal and is unlikely to decline a market value deal that pays him early. 

3 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

I thought if you did a front loaded signing bonus it didn’t work that way 

What the Bengals have done with players like Gio, Preston Brown, and Bobby Hart is pay part of the initial bonus as a roster bonus. That goes on the cap right away instead of being prorated over the life of the deal (max of 5 years proration). It increases the player's cap number and makes it look like the team is spending bigger than they are. Other teams would make those roster bonuses into signing bonus. It's the same money to the player so they don't care but it affects when it hits the cap and how much cap space the team has in the current year. 

Mike Brown would probably say he's matching up cash spending and cap spending and by taking the hit right away, he avoids future problems. Of course it's easy to avoid future problems and most teams are 20 mil or more under the cap for 2020. 

10 hours ago, sparky151 said:

That was with something like 1200 yards. Not especially impressive and behind at least a couple of NFC players. Mixon can ask for whatever he wants but Mike Brown isn't going to pay him 12 mil+ per year. RBs are easy to find and have short careers. Mixon has outplayed his rookie deal and is unlikely to decline a market value deal that pays him early. 

Mixon also led the AFC in rushing while running behind our line.  That says something too.  He's not top 3-4, but he's safely in the top 10.  Mike Brown pays his star players.  He paid Dillon and Rudi Johnson.  Mixon will get a market value-esque deal from Brown.  Just not top end $$$$

18 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:
10 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Mixon also led the AFC in rushing while running behind our line.  That says something too.  He's not top 3-4, but he's safely in the top 10.  Mike Brown pays his star players.  He paid Dillon and Rudi Johnson.  Mixon will get a market value-esque deal from Brown.  Just not top end $$$$

I agree that's what he should be paid.  I just don't think he's going to settle for that immediately.

I think he'll hold out all offseason, and in typical Bengals fashion they'll get something done in the early stages of training camp or right before.  But i wouldn't expect to see Mixon in OTA's or mini-camps.  Those types of early deals rarely happen with the Bengals and their top end players.

• Like 1