Offseason To-Do List: Resigning Free Agents

Beck Bristow

We should discuss the other free agents to be. I'd like to see Dennard back. Hope Vigil isn't re-signed but it's the Bengals so you know it's going to happen. Time to move on from Eifert if they can find an upgrade. Billings might have a market but he's likely overrated. 

55 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

We should discuss the other free agents to be. I'd like to see Dennard back. Hope Vigil isn't re-signed but it's the Bengals so you know it's going to happen. Time to move on from Eifert if they can find an upgrade. Billings might have a market but he's likely overrated. 

I think they all are back

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Thaddeus Moss is a really interesting target in round 3 or 4. Give Burrow a target he’s used to and hopefully shore up a position we have really struggled at the past 10-15 years. 

2 hours ago, theJ said:

I agree sans Eifert. I don't think there will be mutual interest there. 

I agree with this.  No sense in paying Eifert $7-$8 mil when I think we can get near same production out of Uzomah and Sample.  Would also open up the possibility of a late round flyer or UDFA on an athletic receiving TE that might be raw but with big upside.

20 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I agree with this.  No sense in paying Eifert $7-$8 mil when I think we can get near same production out of Uzomah and Sample.  Would also open up the possibility of a late round flyer or UDFA on an athletic receiving TE that might be raw but with big upside.

If letting Whitworth walk for Ogbuehi was any indication, we’ll let Eifert go and try to get returns on the premium Sample investment. Though, like the Whit situation, I don’t see it making our team better. 

As for Vigil, unless we take the unlikely plunge in FA and upgrade him for a guy like Littleton or Schobert, I don’t see a scenario where he isn’t brought back. He shouldn’t have much market interest, should come at a low cost, and it’s doubtful the Bengals try and bring in a foreign LB at a similar skill level when we’re probably comfortable his development thus far (the devil you know).

More-so, I don’t like the idea of going into the draft with a glaring need at LB, and I think the team feels the same way. Forcing picks for need is how you end up with guys like Billy Price. I’m completely indifferent to bringing him back. If he comes back, hey, he’s solid depth and a decent starter we can replace via the draft this year or next. If he walks, so long Vigil. It was nice knowing ya.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

If letting Whitworth walk for Ogbuehi was any indication, we’ll let Eifert go and try to get returns on the premium Sample investment. Though, like the Whit situation, I don’t see it making our team better. 

A fully healthy Eifert on a team lacking receiving weapons because of injury went for 43/436/3 in 16 games played in 2019.  I think we can replace that 27 yards per game.  Letting Whit go would be akin to letting AJ or Boyd walk.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

As for Vigil, unless we take the unlikely plunge in FA and upgrade him for a guy like Littleton or Schobert, I don’t see a scenario where he isn’t brought back. He shouldn’t have much market interest, should come at a low cost, and it’s doubtful the Bengals try and bring in a foreign LB at a similar skill level when we’re probably comfortable his development thus far (the devil you know).

More-so, I don’t like the idea of going into the draft with a glaring need at LB, and I think the team feels the same way. Forcing picks for need is how you end up with guys like Billy Price. I’m completely indifferent to bringing him back. If he comes back, hey, he’s solid depth and a decent starter we can replace via the draft this year or next. If he walks, so long Vigil. It was nice knowing ya.

They almost HAVE to spend somewhere though, especially if they cut Glenn and trade/cut both Dalton and Kirkpatrick.  Even with extending AJ and Mixon they'd still be well below the minimum cap threshold.  They could give Littleton $15 million a year and still be well below the minimum cap threshold.  If they hold onto all 3 of Glenn, Dalton, and Kirkpatrick, then i'll start getting worried.

38 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

They almost HAVE to spend somewhere though, especially if they cut Glenn and trade/cut both Dalton and Kirkpatrick.  Even with extending AJ and Mixon they'd still be well below the minimum cap threshold.  They could give Littleton $15 million a year and still be well below the minimum cap threshold.  If they hold onto all 3 of Glenn, Dalton, and Kirkpatrick, then i'll start getting worried.

We’ve heard this narrative before, and I don’t think much money leaves the building. Guys on expiring contracts like Green, Dennard, Vigil, Billings etc. will all get paid this year, and guys with expiring contracts next year could be resigned to big deals early (Mixon, Lawson, WJIII). Mixon most certainly will be. I think it would be smart to lock up the others while their value is relatively low. 

Aside from that we might bring in one or two tier 2/3 free agents. I’m not expecting any huge splashes whatsoever (until the team proves me otherwise). 

With the Bengals,  lack of impact free agents is the way to bet. There's a good group of free agent LBs this year and a poor group in the draft so it makes sense to sign a good LB instead of re-signing Vigil. It also makes sense with Burrow coming in to sign a top tier O-lineman. The team can easily afford both but we all know they won't get it done. 

17 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

and a poor group in the draft

This isn’t true.  There’s plenty of LBs to be had in this crop. It’s not weak by any means. 

18 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

It also makes sense with Burrow coming in to sign a top tier O-lineman.

Maybe, it’s certainly an option. But I think it makes more sense to add one or two OL this draft considering how deep the OL class is. We could grab a legitimate starter round at 33 or 64.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

We’ve heard this narrative before, and I don’t think much money leaves the building. Guys on expiring contracts like Green, Dennard, Vigil, Billings etc. will all get paid this year, and guys with expiring contracts next year could be resigned to big deals early (Mixon, Lawson, WJIII). Mixon most certainly will be. I think it would be smart to lock up the others while their value is relatively low. 

Aside from that we might bring in one or two tier 2/3 free agents. I’m not expecting any huge splashes whatsoever (until the team proves me otherwise). 

I'm with you.  Bengals math says that once you resign those guys, take into account draft picks and in-season signings, there's no money left for FA's.  That's the narrative every year, and it won't be any different this year.  They could have 50 guys on rookie contracts and that would still be the narrative.

So yeah, i'm with @sparky151 on this too.  They should sign a few FA's, because there's undoubtedly money.  But they won't because that's not how they do business.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

A fully healthy Eifert on a team lacking receiving weapons because of injury went for 43/436/3 in 16 games played in 2019.  I think we can replace that 27 yards per game.  Letting Whit go would be akin to letting AJ or Boyd walk.

This is why i think he's gone.  He wasn't effective last year, and it's just time to move on.

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

In defense of Sample, rookie TE's are generally not real effective.  I'm also not convinced he'll pan out, but it's far from a done deal.  Especially if they let Eifert walk and actually play the guy.