2020 7 Round Mock Draft Updated 4/23/20

Ozzy

On 12/31/2019 at 8:57 AM, Ozzy said:

28. Green Bay  - Jacob Eason Washington RS JR QB

Like the player, but the value isn't there.  The Packers aren't going QB unless value is tremendous, which isn't the case.  I'd probably be inclined to go Alex Leatherwood here.

60. Green Bay  -  Evan Weaver Cal SR ILB

Don't see the value here.  He's a late Day 2, early Day 3 pick and you took him in the 2nd round.  Devonta Smith is too much to pass up here.

124. Green Bay - Jacob Breeland Oregon RS SR TE

Meh.

On 12/31/2019 at 9:57 AM, Ozzy said:

16. Atlanta  - Yetur Gross-Matos Penn State JR DE

I'm okay with this. The defense needs immediate help and this adds to the pass rush that got much better in the 2nd half of the year.

47. Atlanta  - Eno Benjamin Arizona State JR RB

I'm a representative of "don't ever draft a RB" gang, so I can't get behind this at all. The Falcons defense is horrid and needs more than 1-2 players to even approach mediocrity. Yes we had a tough time running the ball, but success running the ball has more to do with offensive scheme, personnel, and how good your offensive line is more than your RB. There are basically no holes for any RB to run through - if you want the running game to improve, the Falcons would be much better served drafting a Left Guard or a Center to replace Alex Mack when he retires. Plus, the Falcons need to repair massive holes in what might be the worst starting secondary in the NFL.

59. Atlanta (From New England) - Joe Bachie Michigan State SR ILB

Our coverage is a much more pressing need than an inside linebacker, unless you believe this to be the best player on the board available at the time. Otherwise, this strikes me as a luxury pick. And honestly, the pass coverage is SO BAD that making massive reaches on secondary guys is probably acceptable.

78. Atlanta - Ezra Cleveland Boise State RS JR OT

This one I don't understand. Jake Matthews had one of his best seasons ever at LT - it was the right side of the line that was problematic. And when you start a rookie at Right Tackle, you can expect him to play like a rookie. Do you expect us to immediately replace McGary one year after drafting him, especially when we need massive help in the secondary?

110. Atlanta - Paulson Abedo Stanford RS SOPH CB

We definitely need help in the secondary, but why would you have us wait all the way into the 4th round to take a corner, when there were likely much better corners available earlier on?

1st off kudos on the effort on the 4 round mock i appreciate you posting one up.  Now as for the Falcons picks i like 2 of them and don't like the other 3 at all.  The funny part is it's the same grouping Hukos has as well although my reasoning are a bit different than his on a few of them.

1st - Yetur - If you would have asked me like 5 days ago i wouldn't have liked this pick much.  But i have done alot more homework on him over the last week and he has grown on me.  He still isn't my 1st choice here but i wouldn't hate the pick.   My top 6 guys at 16 i want if they fall to us by any luck would be in order.  1. Brown 2. Simmons  3. AJ  4. Kinlaw  5. Delpit 6. Gross

2a - Eno - Unlike  Hukos up there im not actually against a RB in round 2.  But for me to take a RB in round 2 they have to be a upper tier elite prospect. The only 4 guys i take at this pick are Dobbins, Ettiene, Swift, and Taylor.  If none of those drop here then i don't take a RB.   Eno i dang sure have no interest in the 1st 3 rounds as im just not impressed with him and think it's a reach as i don't have him near those guys level.  So for me really bad pick here.

2b -  Joe Bachie - If this wasn't a ILB that at 6'1 240 and someone i expect to run a 4.6 40 or slower as mostly a thumper type of guy i wouldn't hate the pick.  We have absoultely 0 need for a thumping ilb because we have one of the best ilb's in the entire game. Deion Jones is a elite top 3 ilb and the pass coverage ilb in the game probably.  We need a OLB that can cover TE's and can blitz a little bit to replace Campbell and upgrade him which is why i want simmons so badly in round 1 lol.

3. Ezra Cleveland  - If this was last years draft i would have been all over this pick but as it sits with out OT's perfectly set with 2 1st rounders and our OT depth actually pretty good in Gono(who should be starting as our LG he might be one of the best lineman we have lol)   and Ty Sambrollo for a year or 2 more then we are good here.  I wouldn't be against looking at a Center/LG here though for macks replacement soon.

4. Paulson Abedo - I like Paulsen quite a bit and i think we were lucky to have him fall to the 4th in your mock.  I feel he will go late 2nd to 3rd round at our pick if we are lucky he drops there.

Now with all that said here is a revamped mock for the Falcons with who is available at each i would have went with to upgrade us.

1st - Javon Kinlaw South Carolina SR DT  - with my 1st 3 choices in Simmons, Brown, and AJ gone  the Kinlaw is my go to guy.

2a -  Creed Humphrey  - C/G - Oklahoma - He has legit 1st round to 2nd round ability.  Not sure why he isn't in your mock draft unless you just forgot him.

2b - Kenny Willekes - DE - Kenny is a very good DE prospect and i have him similar talent and upside as Winovich who i was big on last year as well and wanted at our 2nd round pick.

3 -  Paulson Abedo  - CB - Another guy that i think you had falling a bit to far and im not against taking him in the 3rd round to make sure we get him.  He fits our stlye of CB pretty nicely at 6-1 190+ long and rangey arms. 

4 - Neville Gallimore  - DT - Dude i was happy to get him in the 2nd round in a few mocks already this year.  If you are telling me i can have him int he 4th round i'll take it all day and consider it a blessing. 

To me that is 5 guys that are all 1st to 2nd round players and hit on alot of our needs.  For me 3 to 4 of our 1st picks need to be on the defensive side with the 2nd rounder being a lineman on 1 of those 4 1st round quality RB's i had listed luckily falling to us.  If they don't then bypass RB for sure early and honestly in the 5th round i see you still have Chubba Hubbard available for us to take give him to us there if you want as he might be a 2nd to 3rd round player as well lol.

I could live with Okudah and grabbing another OT in the 2nd because Greg Little kept getting hurt and we can't seem to solve the position, ever.

An off-ball LB in the 3rd would be a major head-scratcher with Luke and Shaq both being awesome.

Would probably go with a DL/EDGE or WR, where we have pretty much no depth or no one signed for next season.

Updated the mock with Alaric Jackson and Alex Leatherwood among others returning to school and Cole Kmet coming back into the draft class.  Moved some guys around but it is crazy how one or two player change means everything changes.  Corrected the 4th round and did give Pittsburgh the Dolphins pick thanks for the info.  

Will be curious what Tua does along with Devonta Smith.

16. Atlanta  - JK Dobbins Ohio State JR RB

Why would we take a RB in the first round? With the issues we have on defense, that's straight up a fire-able offense. Plus, you could fit prime Leveon Bell behind this offensive line and it wouldn't get you any results - so taking a RB in the first is literally a waste of a draft pick. You'd see Dobbins repeatedly run into guards behind the line of scrimmage for -3 yards every time he got the ball.

I just don't understand the logic behind it.

1 hour ago, Hukos said:

Why would we take a RB in the first round? With the issues we have on defense, that's straight up a fire-able offense. Plus, you could fit prime Leveon Bell behind this offensive line and it wouldn't get you any results - so taking a RB in the first is literally a waste of a draft pick. You'd see Dobbins repeatedly run into guards behind the line of scrimmage for -3 yards every time he got the ball.

Agreed and i actually like Dobbins a ton but in the 1st round if we take him TD should be fired on the spot.  As said i personally am ok  with it in the 2nd round where his value is better at as long as we get a top 15 DL talent in the 1st round or a guy like Simmons and Delpit.   But Dobbins in the 1st is just a horrible decision by us based on value alone.

Ozzy the original one was even better than this one for the Falcons and the original one wasn't all that great to begin with.  Would give this falcons draft a C- to a F as it sits.   Not sure how you looked at the post i made and somehow made the falcons draft worse :D

I'm always of the belief that - if you want to run the ball better, start drafting some guards, not a running back. I'd still be mad about Dobbins in the 2nd round, just because I think the secondary is so awful that it needs a lot of attention.

Basically, I'd rather have a stud o-line + replacement level RB than getting a top of the line RB.

Edited by Hukos

7 hours ago, Hukos said:

They just drafted two offensive lineman last year in Lindstrom and McGary, signed Jamon Brown and Ty Sambrailo.  Maybe if they want a new center but Biadasz is gone.

Last time I checked that offense was great with Tevin Coleman, Freeman is getting older and the 2nd back is nothing great and JK Dobbins is a freak show.  I think it is a great value and he is the best back in the draft.  Many people can be all anti RB but this is a great RB class and to just pass on them because of what principle?  Ok do that, then another team will get those backs and run them down your favorite teams throat!

The Patriots just won a Super bowl last year based on running the football and the Ravens are poised to do it this year.  Not to mention the Packers, Vikings, Titans, 49ers and Bills are all good teams because of their focus on running the football and all outside of the Titans have a 2nd or 3rd RB on the roster who has been productive.  

Don't like it that is fine, and completely ignore all the other picks whatever.  Sure Gross-Matos would be great to get but I switch it this time around because I like the fit and like the placement of the #1 RB.

PS sometimes I take the advice of the posts where I see the issue, other times I do not based on how the draft board falls.  Say I have them draw a DB, Shaun Wade, AJ Terrell, Xavier McKinney?  Those would all be massive reaches at the 16th spot and none really deserve to be drafted that high honestly.  JK Dobbins is a better prospect and in terms of elite DBs Okudah is gone and so is Delpit.    What want to reach for Bryce Hall, CJ Henderson or Kristian Fulton at that spot?  Go ahead but it is a reach based on their play this year and the injuries Hall has currently and Fulton has had in his career.

If they want to go OT Austin Jackson, Trey Adams and Mekhi Becton could be around and might be an option.  Guard is not really an option but is 2nd round possibly, but again then why did they draft guys high last year on the OL and just give up on them after one year?  Vikings want a guard, does not mean there is one 1st round.  Only really good one honestly is Biadasz and again he is gone early most likely.

39 minutes ago, Danand said:

What is the thought behind sending a safety to Baltimore in the 1. round?

Can upgrade from Clark I think and Tony Jefferson is on IR and Earl Thomas is not getting any younger.  But sure they would love an edge player or OL but who would that be?  Most of those guys are gone and Terrell Lewis has a bad injury history so too risky for 1st round.  Not sure Weaver is a scheme fit either.  Sure they would love a OG/C but so would Minnesota.  Maybe if Creed Humphrey comes out early for the draft he could be around but honestly MN could take him if he does come out or the 49ers, New England or even Seattle would not mind him either.

Ravens could go a number or ways or just pick the best player there which I could see happening.  If they have faith in Tony Jefferson returning from injury and trust Earl Thomas for another 2 years then yeah would not be a need.

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Can upgrade from Clark I think and Tony Jefferson is on IR and Earl Thomas is not getting any younger.  But sure they would love an edge player or OL but who would that be?  Most of those guys are gone and Terrell Lewis has a bad injury history so too risky for 1st round.  Not sure Weaver is a scheme fit either.  Sure they would love a OG/C but so would Minnesota.  Maybe if Creed Humphrey comes out early for the draft he could be around but honestly MN could take him if he does come out or the 49ers, New England or even Seattle would not mind him either.

Ravens could go a number or ways or just pick the best player there which I could see happening.  If they have faith in Tony Jefferson returning from injury and trust Earl Thomas for another 2 years then yeah would not be a need.

The only part where I think you are wrong is about Chuck Clark. He has been a big upgrade from Tony Jefferson and is the guy going forward. We could need some depth anyway as DeShon Elliot has had difficulties staying healthy (broken arm and torn ACL), but in this case I think Curtis Weaver is by far the most interesting option if our 1. round pick would see the field.

RG would also be an option, even if we have a guy in Ben Powers. We just can't afford to have a worse oline when we want to run the ball this much.