2020 7 Round Mock Draft Updated 4/23/20

Ozzy

9 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

and then the worst pick in the draft for us the WR which we have absolutely 100% zero need for at this point we are outstanding at WR.  We were solid enough 1 to 4 that we could trade Sanu and not miss a beat.    Julio, Ridley, Gage, Hardy, Oz, and Blake are more than fine at that position when we have legit other needs to be looked at like OLB and DE. 

I'm not impressed with Gage or Blake. They're the kind of mediocre "move the chains" guy you can get pretty much anywhere. They got exposed hard in the thanksgiving game against the Saints - they were completely shut down by their inability to beat press coverage. Their inability to beat press allowed the Saints pass rush to completely bulldoze the offensive line, because Matt was forced to hold the ball for longer. I agree that the Falcons have way more pressing needs and WR is way down the list. However, I feel with WRs in 2020 and beyond, if you can't beat press coverage, you're trash. (That doesn't mean Gage/Blake couldn't eventually learn how to beat press coverage more consistently, but as it stands, I think they're pretty bad).

However, if a situation comes up and if in the 4th/5th round there's a guy who is insanely fast but is a bit raw/project guy in other areas, I have absolutely no problem with the Falcons picking him up. Remember Marvin Hall and Taylor Gabriel? You can lump Aldrick Robinson in with those guys as well. Those guys were great because they were speed demons - and because of their speed, DBs just didn't want to gamble with press coverage on them. And if they did gamble and lost, the result was usually a touchdown. Unironically, the Falcons letting Marvin Hall go was a huge mistake that we're still feeling right now.

Take into consideration Dirk Koetter's offense too. I know Dan Quinn claims that it's still mostly the Kyle/Sark offense, but we know that's a load of BS. It's Air Coryell through and through. If you really want to make the Air Coryell offense to work, having that speed demon in the slot opens up a lot not just for Julio/Ridley, but can seriously open up running lanes for whoever our running back is next year. If you can't stretch the field consistently in an Air Coryell offense, DBs will start to play closer and closer to the line of scrimmage (hey, doesn't that sound familiar from 2019?) and now your short/intermediate passing game as well as your running game is compromised.

The nice thing about this kind of function in our offense is that this kind of player can be had for minimal investment. A 4th round pick is basically nothing as far as opportunity costs go, and all you're really looking for is a dude who a. can beat press, b. run go routes really quickly. That's literally all he has to do. That's not something I think Blake or Gage are well equipped to do. Gage was effectively a slightly worse Sanu, and we already have Hooper filling the role that Sanu did, but much better. I think guys like Gage/Blake are just kind of a waste in this particular offense because the things they do were things we already had, but just not as good as other guys who did them.

So tl;dr my hot take is that for a 4th or 5th round pick, I actually think the Falcons offense could be significantly better with a speed demon in the slot - because of how the Air Coryell offense functions. It'd be a mistake for other offenses in our position, but I think the Falcons are particularly unique because of Koetter and his Air Coryell offense.

18 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

Would much rather have Justin Jefferson or Kenneth Murray/Patrick Queen for Cincy in round 2

Sure but for both I feel that is a little high top pick of the 2nd round.  Murray struggles to get off blocks but could run great at the combine and that could move him up.  Jefferson is good but not sure he is better than Bowden or Shenault but will see how he times.  

16 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

You started off extremely strong for the falcons then completely fell of a cliff in the last few picks my guy :D

kinlaw is a home urn every single time in that situation

antoine im not actually against either at safety depending on what we do there with neal, rico, and kazee. 

Eno you already know im not a fan of in the 2nd round we already discuessed that before im pretty sure of.  IN THE 4th round i would settle for him but in the 2nd round i want a better player than that and preferably a bigger back. 

I do got a question on Jon Runyan though as i haven't done much research on him at all.  Is he a strict OT at the next level or does he look more like he will be a legit OG.  If he is expected to be a OT then he is a bad pick but if he can be a LG im not against him.  I think the better pick there would be the guy going right after that pick in Harris who would be Macks replacement either this offseason or next at center and can for sure do OG for 1 season next to mack to learn from him.

and then the worst pick in the draft for us the WR which we have absolutely 100% zero need for at this point we are outstanding at WR.  We were solid enough 1 to 4 that we could trade Sanu and not miss a beat.    Julio, Ridley, Gage, Hardy, Oz, and Blake are more than fine at that position when we have legit other needs to be looked at like OLB and DE. 

Im actually a little confused how come you didn't draft 1 edge rusher or de for us when it's our #1 need in the entire draft.   What plans do you have for us here im sorta interested in seeing what you think we are gonna do at this spot.

This would be mine in your mock scenario at each pick for the falcons.

1st - Kinlaw - DT - Love this pick with who's available can never go wrong with him here.
2A - Kenny Willekes - DE - Not sure why he isn't in your mock he is a player i think is going to do well like a winovich type of player from last year. 
2B - Zack Moss RB - He is a bigger back than Eno and imo a much better back he is the 4th best RB in this class now. 
3rd - Nick Harris -  C - Macks future replacement and can help at LG this year untill he takes over next year or so for mack.  Unless mack is a cap casualty this year then he starts
4th - Julian Okwara  - DE - I might not like him in round 1 where people kept giving him to us earlier. But in round 4 he's well worth the chance and a steal.

Hit the trenches hard and get us a bit of a bigger rb with more talent.   Would look at OLB, Safety, and CB in the next few rounds for depth or potential upside starters.   Would not even attempt to look at QB, WR,  OT, or TE right now unless hooper ends up leaving then i would check a TE out depending on FA.

I agree Willekes I have too low, but so many teams want more athletic rushers and I doubt he times well.  Winovich?  Winovich was a fine athlete and timed great, I would be shocked if Willekes does that at the combine, he is more an effort guy, good motor and high football character and leader.  Did not know they wanted to give up on Beasley and Tak as the edge guys but maybe I suppose.  

Yes Jon Runyan could play OG no question about it, so his versatility makes him interesting and he is solid.  I now have him going to Miami instead however with how things got changed a little.  

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Can’t see the Jets not going OL to our second 3rd and 4th Round picks.

I did have that actually.  You confident in a team with that center?  I am not sold on Harrison.  Maybe if Edoga develops and becomes the starter and they move Beachum to guard and Shell as the other tackle that might work but to me OC and OG are needs for that team.  Heck I could see them drafting OL way higher than I have them pick them but WR is a massive need and would be the best value in the 1st and another edge rusher is key as well for them I think in the 2nd

If Chaisson works out well I could see them taking him in the 1st maybe but there is some risk there and 2nd round with Uche I feel is more firm and comfortable and if he busts it is not as big of a deal.  

On 31/12/2019 at 11:57 AM, Ozzy said:

15. Denver  - Henry Ruggs III Alabama JR WR

Perfect

46. Denver  - Amik Robertson La Tech JR CB

I like Robertson, like the pick at CB, I do think it's kinda high for him (maybe with a great combine)....would be questioning why not pick Isaiah Wilson.

77. Denver - Cam Akers Florida State JR RB

With Eno Benjamin gone, I like the pick. But Nick Harris there I would screen a little we need IOL (even if we resign Connor McGovern, Leary has to be cut this offseason)

83. Denver (From Pittsburgh)  - Shane Lemieux Oregon RS SR OG

This would make up for not picking Harris at 77. But I would be over the moon if we got Harris at 77 and Reagor at 83 (why so low? I have him in the 1st round in my mocks)

96. Denver (From San Francisco)  - KJ Hill Ohio State SR WR

Again making up for not picking Reagor. Sutton, Ruggs and Hill would be amazing WR core for Drew Lock.

109. Denver - Jonathan Greenard Florida SR OLB

Don't like this pick. If Attachou is back we kind have our OLB group to start the year. We need OT, even if Munchak like Bolles improviment late in the year and thinks he can coach him up, we can't think James will be heatly for the whole year. Prince Tega Wanogho would be a steal this late (Same question that I made for Reagor, why so low?). Hakeem Adeniji would be nice here.

128. Denver (From San Francisco) - Markus Bailey Purdue RS SR LB

I'm kinda blind for Patrick Queen at LB. I would probably pick him in the second round. You probably did right for waiting for Bailey until late 4th.

9 hours ago, badgers0821 said:

Chris Orr in the third? Don’t get me wrong, I like him but I don’t think analysis/teams do as I’m pretty sure he wasn't even invited to a post season Bowl...but I could be wrong. Usually when seniors aren’t invited to one of the three bowls it’s not a good sign.

True but the kid can get to the QB and they will need that especially if Martinez walks.  His sack production this year was very impressive and he could fit great in a 3/4 defense as a inside pass rusher from the ILB position. Sure he might not be in one of those games but same can be said for Tyler Johnson, but I do not think he is a crap receiver just because he was not invited to a pre draft bowl game.  Sure maybe he is not a 3rd round pick but easily could be a 4th or 5th rounder, Patrick Queen is getting a lot of love because of his speed and if he runs well could jump Orr, but to me Orr has been more impressive but Queen can fit in a variety of defenses Orr cannot.  Still almost 12 sacks from the ILB position is crazy good.

28 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

I actually really like Patterson for the Chiefs,    3rd Round is pretty hard to swallow though.   

Like the positions for the Chiefs

True, but might not be there in the 4th round but will see.  I do think they need a quality backup and with Patterson's mobility and ability to throw on the move he could be a good scheme fit possibly but sure 3rd round might be a little high.  

11 minutes ago, Killashaw said:

Why are you so low on Pittman Jr? Seems like a clear top 64 pick for me.

I like Pittman a lot just not sure he goes over some of the other receivers who might be a little over drafted but are wanted for their speed or deep ball potential in Hamler, Reagor, Duvernay and Mims.  Pittman is a great player though but might fall, especially if he runs poorly.  Kid can still play though no doubt.  

But top 64 player in the 2nd round, no way is he better than Bowden, Shenault, Jefferson or Bryan Edwards as receivers.  

Thanks for the reply and discussions ozzy  and for your statement on vic and takk.  One of them in Vic is a free agent and is pretty much a lock to be gone as someone is going to give him like 10+ million a year for his 10 sacks he almost got and think they can fix him or make him better.   We for sure can't give him 10 mil a year and expect to keep hooper or upgrade another position.   I personally am a huge fan of beasley as i wanted him in the draft and own a jersey of his autographed when he comes into the sports store i work at often lol.  But even i realize he has almost a zero percent chance to be a falcon next year at the numbers some random team with tons of cap will give him.  We would probably take him back at around 4 mil a year or so and thats not even half what he probably gets on open market.   As for takk i still like his upside and he will be here next year but after 2 shoulder surgery's in back to back seasons and 2 underwhelming seasons you gotta start looking for an eventual replacement if it doesn't click and also a partner in crime across from hhim to replace beasley.  Even then you need more than just 2 edge rushers on the team that can get to the QB and we really don't have many that can.  Our secondary started looking a heck of alot better once our D-line started getting home toward the end of the season.    Thats why i chose 2 de's in the draft and a legit DT in the 1st.  So we can fix the entire D-line hopefully and provide a much needed boost of talent there to help the secondary out. 

As for Kenny i actually named him  Winovich type based on the exact things you said about him xD  The effort guy, good motor and high football character and leader thats exactly what i thought of winovich last year coming out and said he was a Falcons and Patriots type of guy.  Which supposedly had he fell to us he was way high on our board as a 2nd rounder and we was hoping he fell to the 3rd.  But like i thought the Pats jumped on him because he is exactly as you said a Pats type of player and Falcons type of player.   Im not sure if kenny times as well as winovich and i honestly didn't think winovich would time that well until he did.  But i see them as similar traits type of guys who will be successful at the next level based on being effort, good motor high iq dudes.  Which i don't think anyone would deny about either of them. 

Still we atleast gotta get 1 of the 2 dudes to put at DE and since Kenny i didn't see in your draft i say throw him to us later to replace the WR and were looking alot better lol.  Also good to hear about Runyan at OG that can def. work.   I still see Nick as the better player and a more needed player since he can do C as well.

8 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Why would they do this? Their best offensive player is their Center (Brandon Linder). And he's still in his prime.

I'm not even a Jacksonville fan.

Also, you want him as a Brown in the late 1st/early 2nd, don't you. ADMIT IT! :)

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

If Cole Kmet is avaliable when Denver picks in R2, I want him as BPA. He and Fant would be a tremendous duo at TE. Not sure if Shurmer goes 2TE enough to justify it though. 

Shurmur does a lot of 3 WRs set, uses two TE in some sets, but far from justifing a TE pick this high and almost don't use FB (interesting how he will use Janovich now that we just resigned him). I really don't think we will get another TE that high. Maybe we will get a blocking TE late in the draft for him to battle with Jeff Heuerman (and potentially freeing some cap before week 1) for a roster spot.

1st Round
    5. Miami  - Tua Tagovailoa Alabama JR QB
    18. Miami (From Pittsburgh) - Yetur Gross-Matos Penn State JR DE
    26. Miami (From Houston) - De'Andre Swift Georgia JR RB
2nd Round
    39. Miami  - Malik Harrison Ohio State SR OLB
    56. Miami (From New Orleans) - Justin Madubuike JR DT
3rd Round
    70. Miami - Jon Runyan Michigan RS SR OT
4th Round
    125. Miami (From Tennessee) - Prince Tega Wanogho Auburn RS SR OT
5th Round
    134. Miami - Antonio Gibson Memphis SR WR 

So let me see if I got this right.  You have Miami Drafting an Injury prone QB with their first pick and no protection for him until the 3rd and 4th rounds with Project players (you know those that will take a couple years to teach).  

Personally I would like for them to pass on Tua this year (I know he is a heck of a Football player) and concentrate on the Lines.  We NEED a LT, RT, RG, and C on the Offensive line and an Edge rushers and LB on the Defensive side.  See the problem with Miami is that we have been trying to get a QB and skill positions in place before we ever get an Offensive line to Protect them.  We pick up old has beens O-Linemen in FA and every year have 5 different men on the O-Line.  That is no way to get a unit to work well together.

But back to your Mock Draft.  I can see them taking Tua with 5 and Gross-Matos with 18.  I can live with those picks, even though I would rather see Mekhi Becton (OT) at 18.  However, no way they take a RB with 26.  Without a line that can open holes he would do us no good.  We had the worst rushing attck in the NFL because the line stunk, not because the RB stunk.  Replacing with a new RB will not solve the problem.  They should look at Josh Jones Houston (OT) here. With the Oline addressed we can look at Raekwon Davis (DE) or Trevon Diggs (CB) with pick 39 in the 2nd Round and then either a RB or a C with pick 56.  In the Third round we could take a RB (if not taken in round 2) or a WR(if RB taken in round 2).  Then we look at best player available in the 4-7 rounds, with no specific needs in mind, but drafting depth.

Shurmur does a lot of 3 WRs set, uses two TE in some sets, but far from justifing a TE pick this high and almost don't use FB (interesting how he will use Janovich now that we just resigned him). I really don't think we will get another TE that high. Maybe we will get a blocking TE late in the draft for him to battle with Jeff Heuerman (and potentially freeing some cap before week 1) for a roster spot.

I think Kmet is a starting caliber, well rounded TE. A top 45 pick, and if Denver goes with BPA as they have the past few drafts, I would be hard pressed seeing a better option if available when we pick R2. I think OC's should adapt to the talent provided, not be rigid in finding only guys that fit their style. Its basically what Belichick does.