Ryan Pace Presser

Nads786

17 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

Yeah they aren't afraid of the PR Backlash. They are aware of what their job security would be if they fail again next year. Our owners are not patient. That's a good thing. Keeps these guys on their toes and doesn't let them dig in for too long. Pace has had no problem jettisoning players that he signed/drafted before. He can do it again. 

Our owners are not patient? They are incredibly patient unless you embarrass the franchise. Jerry and Lovie both rotted away on the vine.

Aren’t afraid of the PR backlash?

At the press conference they said they were still reviewing things and then 30 minutes after they are away from reporters half the offensive staff is fired. That is avoiding the PR backlash.

Waste of time to watch the presser.  Completely meaningless obligation.  They are just trying to speak and answer questions without answering them and trying to avoid telling grand lies that people will freak out about in sound bites later. Unfairly I might add.  

You learned more about their thinkng in the 1 min firings announcement that came later than however long the presser was.  

At this point it's noting what they do not what they say.  

I didn't watch it. 

Now we run 10k offseason scenarios and draft picks and the Bears will do almost none of them.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Floyd needs to get a return for, absolutely. He isn't worth $13 mil for an offball LB. 

As he has a lot of trouble getting to the quarterback, you're absolutely right, he isn't worth that much. A 4-3 team would give him close to that though. I think. 

13 hours ago, Sugashane said:

WAS is super stubborn too though, remember the cluster they caused with Cousins. I'm not sure they'd let him walk for even Floyd and a 4th, they may hold him just out of spite as he is post 30 years of age, just to shrink his window further. 

Bruce Allen is gone, and the Cousins thing was crazy weird. They've got Rivera and a new GM (in title only I suppose, but still). The team's young, they need a reset in attitude. They won't want to pay Williams what he's worth, and Scherff can probably play well at LT anyway. Not a certainty Williams will basically be a cast-off to whoever will pay him, but you can see what I'm getting at... 

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 1

Man just listened to part of the presser on the Hoge and Jahns podcast, and right after Pace opens up questions, you could tell the question all the reporters wanted to ask was "what the hell is wrong with you, and are you serious?"

I absolutely believe there is going to be a backup who can compete with Mitch and a draft pick. Maybe even a Rosen!

Edited by RunningVaccs
Forgot to mention Rosen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

I absolutely believe there is going to be a backup who can compete with Mitch and a draft pick. Maybe even a Rosen!

Considering who Pace turned around and fired, I'm coming to the conclusion that the guy is suddenly pretty damn serious. In spite of what he said about Mitch, I wouldn't be surprised at all if stuff like that happened. 

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Our owners are not patient? They are incredibly patient unless you embarrass the franchise. Jerry and Lovie both rotted away on the vine.

Aren’t afraid of the PR backlash?

At the press conference they said they were still reviewing things and then 30 minutes after they are away from reporters half the offensive staff is fired. That is avoiding the PR backlash.

Jerry and Lovie were a long time ago Windy believe it or not. Been through a GM and a few coaches since then. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 11:40 AM, beardown3231 said:

And he was the unquestioned starter, was he not? Pace preaches competition competition competition yet the QB spot was clearly won by Trubisky throughout August of 2017, yet Glennon was handed the job. 

This means Trubisky is the starter and they won't bring in *serious* competition for him, unless you think Jordan Love or someone else is *serious* or Case Keenum is *serious*. Nagy has to feel horrendous. His first HC job and maybe his last is going to hinge on arguably the game's worst QB.

Pace is a joke and fully believes in this clown. It's embarrassing. He should be ashamed of himself.

If you think Pace is a joke and Mitch is a clown then you should be feeling confident that neither will be back here beyond 2020.

6 hours ago, GOGRIESE said:

Jerry and Lovie were a long time ago Windy believe it or not. Been through a GM and a few coaches since then. 

Bears ownership sucks. They have gotten better since George took over from his brother but they are still a bunch of suckies and don't have that natural instinct on how to build a successful winning franchise. They needed to hire a consulting firm to find Ryan Pace....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Bears ownership sucks. They have gotten better since George took over from his brother but they are still a bunch of suckies and don't have that natural instinct on how to build a successful winning franchise. They needed to hire a consulting firm to find Ryan Pace....

Bet they'll never use a consulting firm again after how Pace evaluates QB's

9 hours ago, topwop1 said:

If you think Pace is a joke and Mitch is a clown then you should be feeling confident that neither will be back here beyond 2020.

I hope so! #LoseForLawrence

10 hours ago, topwop1 said:

That may be true but the point is that they aren't patient. Say we win 5 games next year. Think Pace and Nagy be around? No. 

Edited by GOGRIESE

Here are my takeaways a couple of days after the presser

1. Mitch is going to be the starter, so we can stop talking about Cam, Carr, Bridgewater. 

2. I still think they bring a veteran in who is better than Daniel, but they will be more insurance than competition.

3. The OL is getting addressed. Not only were they the one group that got the most negative comments without much positive, but their coach was also fired.

4. Pace knows the TE spot is a wasteland. The Shaheen love was stupid, but we know he is coming to camp to see if they can salvage some value. Burton having another surgery means he cannot be relied on.

5. Leonard Floyd is back and going to make that 13.2 million. Pace seems like he is trying to preserve his job by not bailing on some of his weaker draft picks.

6. It feels like Pace is pot committed to 10.

I also thought it was interesting that George McCaskey kept going back and defering to Pace. Multiple times he pushed it back to what Pace said and also spouted the company line of "It was more than the QB"

Edited by WindyCity

42 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Here are my takeaways a couple of days after the presser

I didn't need presser, but ...

1. Mitch is going to be the starter, so we can stop talking about Cam, Carr, Bridgewater. 

Agreed.

2. I still think they bring a veteran in who is better than Daniel, but they will be more insurance than competition.

Agreed. Although I wouldn't count Mariota out if low demand.  Not that I think Mariota is great, but a Mariota signing would create an instant QB controversy.  It would depend on cost.  They aren't paying Mariota big money.  

3. The OL is getting addressed. Not only were they the one group that got the most negative comments without much positive, but their coach was also fired.

This will be focus of offseason.  Interesting to see what happens.  

4. Pace knows the TE spot is a wasteland. The Shaheen love was stupid, but we know he is coming to camp to see if they can salvage some value. Burton having another surgery means he cannot be relied on.

After O line this will be focus.  Thinking they try to get this fixed on a budget.

5. Leonard Floyd is back and going to make that 13.2 million. Pace seems like he is trying to preserve his job by not bailing on some of his weaker draft picks.

Let's see how that works out for him Cotton.  I have been bearish on Floyd from draft day.  

6. It feels like Pace is pot committed to 10.

I think so. Although if he plays like this year whoever is back up is going in regardless.  If back up then stinks it up, which is likely if he thrown into a failing offense mid-season, then it is curtains for this regime.  

On 1/2/2020 at 9:22 AM, beardown3231 said:

I guess it wouldn't have been so hard for Pace to say something along these lines after all

It wouldn't have been hard for Pace to marginalize Mitch. Surprised he didn't, at least to some degree. 

Ballard's trading up with the Lions and snagging Herbert (most likely). I said it in the Mitch failure thread, and ain't backin' down. Sort of thing big boy GMs do. Looking like we don't have one those, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

It wouldn't have been hard for Pace to marginalize Mitch. Surprised he didn't, at least to some degree. 

Ballard's trading up with the Lions and snagging Herbert (most likely). I said it in the Mitch failure thread, and ain't backin' down. Sort of thing big boy GMs do. Looking like we don't have one those, unfortunately. 

How would you like Pace to get from 43 to 3? He did what big boy GM's do with Trubisky and failed. He's not doing it again, especially that kind of leap.