Eric Schaeffer is now officially out

MikeT14

As I mentioned in other threads, Ron Rivera likes to hire from amongst coaches that he knows.  While he was working under Norv Turner in San Diego, the GM of the Chargers was AJ Smith.  Now, we all know Smith spent some time as an advisor in our front office, and his son is an integral part of the current group.  I could very well see this off-season period as an "on the job" interview for Kyle to see if he is ready to handle more responsibility, and to see how well he works in tandem with Rivera.  If there are any issues that come up with Smith during this process, the off-season heavy lifting is already done, and Rivera can go back to the drawing board on who to bring in as a GM over the summer.  

• Like 1

I think Schaefer will be retained and take over the Bruce Allen role as Team President, handling mostly the business side of the organization and helping with salary cap and Contracts. I expect that Ron will hire Morocco Brown to be our GM. I think Dan will want to keep Doug in his current role and Doug may take over the Bruce Allen role as leading stuff off the field. I hope Ales Santos and his assistant Richard Mann are kept as Pro Personnel people but I can go either way on that.  I definitely want Kyle Smith promoted to Assistant GM - new title w/ some more money - I hope Morocco and Ron agree to keep him and promote Tim Grimble to Kyle’s current position of directior of college scouting bc they’ve both done a good job the last 5 years with the draft.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

LOL, another Panthers guy, this time in the front office?  

Image result for Jerry Seinfeld gif

You're totally overreacting to this. Every coach or front office brings in their former people they worked with before. They trust those people.

Gibbs did it, Norv, Marty, Shanahan & Allen, Jay 

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Am I missing something? Doesn’t this normally happen? And to be fair, I’d take their seasons over the ones we’ve had. 

Yes, he's just finding a reason to not like the Rivera hiring. He's looking for the bad in instead of the good/giving it a chance.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, he's just finding a reason to not like the Rivera hiring. He's looking for the bad in instead of the good/giving it a chance.

Why can't people disagree with these moves. Our regular daily jobs, we don't just get to hire our friend's. Even if I could hire my own staff It wouldn't be just based off working with you before. If 1 or 5 guys are doing the their job well, I saw no point in letting them go. Even you disagreed with some of the decisions. Why do you feel the need to DEFEND or Question someone who doesn't agree with what they are doing? If I can get a guy better than 1 have worked with previously I want that guy. Rivera doesn't seem to be going that route. 

32 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Why can't people disagree with these moves. Our regular daily jobs, we don't just get to hire our friend's. Even if I could hire my own staff It wouldn't be just based off working with you before. If 1 or 5 guys are doing the their job well, I saw no point in letting them go. Even you disagreed with some of the decisions. Why do you feel the need to DEFEND or Question someone who doesn't agree with what they are doing? If I can get a guy better than 1 have worked with previously I want that guy. Rivera doesn't seem to be going that route. 

They can but to act like they know it’s not going to work is a bit too much. I’m acting like I think it’s going to work, most of us who are more positive about things are just happy that Rivera is bringing the change we’ve all asked for since 2013.

We also have no clue if some other dude is better than the guys he’s hiring. Like I have no clue, but I trust Rivera and if it doesn’t work, I hope he changes directions quick, fires that guy and hires someone else - something Brice didn’t do.

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Your point referencing "everyone has done it" and pointing to the past Redskins coaches doesn't make your point, it actually makes mine.  It didn't really work out all too well for them.  Gruden ended up with three defensive coordinators that were buddies of his that he coached with elsewhere, and we see how that worked out.  

Yes, some coaches bring in assistants who they know and are comfortable with.  However, the Redskins are essentially bringing in last year's Carolina staff, who were all essentially fired.  That doesn't pump me up that anything around here is changing.  For someone who has been in the NFL as long as Rivera has, and who had time off looking at tape, you would think he would have more assistants coming from other teams.  If you don't expand on your coaching tree, you eventually fall behind.  

Add to that fact that we all heard from Rivera's mouth that if his group can't agree on anything, that Dan Snyder is the tiebreaker.  So yeah, I don't like this hiring at all.  It's more proof that nothing is changing.  Snyder has gone through and let some blood out of the organization before, but if he's the tiebreaker and Rivera has no problem stating so in his first press conference........LOL on us fans for thinking anything is going to change.