Eric Schaeffer is now officially out

MikeT14

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Your point referencing "everyone has done it" and pointing to the past Redskins coaches doesn't make your point, it actually makes mine.  It didn't really work out all too well for them.  Gruden ended up with three defensive coordinators that were buddies of his that he coached with elsewhere, and we see how that worked out.  

Yes, some coaches bring in assistants who they know and are comfortable with.  However, the Redskins are essentially bringing in last year's Carolina staff, who were all essentially fired.  That doesn't pump me up that anything around here is changing.  For someone who has been in the NFL as long as Rivera has, and who had time off looking at tape, you would think he would have more assistants coming from other teams.  If you don't expand on your coaching tree, you eventually fall behind.  

Add to that fact that we all heard from Rivera's mouth that if his group can't agree on anything, that Dan Snyder is the tiebreaker.  So yeah, I don't like this hiring at all.  It's more proof that nothing is changing.  Snyder has gone through and let some blood out of the organization before, but if he's the tiebreaker and Rivera has no problem stating so in his first press conference........LOL on us fans for thinking anything is going to change.  

Well, if he’s bringing in all of his buddies they should agree on everything, so they’ll have no reason to go fo Dan.  Glass half full?

• Like 1

Rivera has been clear that he likes people who know how to teach and develop players, guys he's worked with for a decade or more that he can trust and who have developed a lot of raw talent in Carolina - not a place that's ever spent big in free agency - that was built mostly through the draft and by cheap or undrafted free agents.

He also has been clear that while he has final say he's open to others convincing him to go in a different direction or doing it a different way, but they’ve got to bring a compelling case to prove it to Ron.

I don't have a problem with his approach. Combine that with Dan’s willingness to spend $ to keep developed talent that Brice refused to re-sign or Dan’s willingness to sign 1 to 3 high priced free agents every offseason and we could have a good collaboration here.

Last decade the problem with the Dan/Vinny approach and a few times under Shanahan & Allen was paying too much for past their prime talent or trading draft picks for veterans when they could have just signed FAs & not traded young developing talent and/or picks away which were needed to develop a good team that could be sustained.

Rivera believes in the draft, teaching and developing young talent, that much is clear and I don't see how that can be anything but refreshing and if he wants to spend $ on a few free agents Dan will give it to him. That's good IMO.

Look how Green Bay flipped their script from the most of this decade - just being above average all-decade instead of a top 5 team in the league despite having the most talented QB in the league for most of the decade until Mahomes came along!

One offseason w/ a new front office willing to spend $ on Za’Darius and Preston Smith added to a young team with all developed talent through the draft or UDFAs and a franchise QB and they went 13-3 and they hadn't performed that we'll since going 15-1 in 2011 but they lost their first playoff game that year in the divisional round.

All this drafted homegrown talent being developed by this teaching/coaching staff - which might be our best staff since Gibbs 2.0 - plus if Trent returns, a free agent #2 corner (Bradbury?) , Slot corner (Kendall Fuller), a FS (Anthony Harris) and a TE (Hooper) added and all of sudden Rivera has the Redskins fighting to be a winning team in year 1 despite being mostly under 25 years old still, or maybe next year it's mostly under 26 or 27 but still a very young and developing team.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Has 20 years of Dan Snyder's ownership made you believe that the glass can ever be half full?  We've done this before plenty of times.  

As Danny Roulier said on air one time: 

”Hoping and Believing are two different things. But do I really believe it will happen? No, I wouldn't bet on it.”

I'm hopeful that Rivera works out and we are a perennial playoff team by year 3 but I don't believe it will happen. What I definitely think will happen is an improvement in culture and accountability, but that’s off the field, that doesn't necessarily mean we’ll be great on the field with Rivera, but I do expect him to at least do as good as Gibbs 2.0 and yes, I know that's a low bar! 10-6 at best!

2 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

People being upset about the Eric Schaffer’s departure really boggles my mind.

It's worse then the overreaction to Kevin O’Connell being replaced who was basically just a QBs coach w/ an offensive coordinator title most of the year.

25 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It's worse then the overreaction to Kevin O’Connell being replaced who was basically just a QBs coach w/ an offensive coordinator title most of the year.

Fan’s collective confidence and mettle is so fraught from this organization’s past lack of success, that the thought of letting go someone who is simply thought of as “competent” and “well-respected” from critics outside of the organization completely throws them off. 

I’m sure Eric Schaffer would be an excellent asset to retain, but please understand everyone is replaceable. The team has been garbage for 20 years, 17 of which he has been within the organization. He simply doesn’t move the needle.

The standard needs to be elevated. This way of thinking from the fans (and more importantly) the organization is a big reason the team continues to trip over themselves.

Edited by A TRAIN 89
  • Like 2

I'm saddened by this news. I'm also a little alarmed it's turning into the Landover Panthers.

That being said, we did say to clean house, didn't we? This might be one of those moves that backfires (like letting KOC leave). But we won't know until later. Other moves (Manusky, et al going bye bye) are apparent.

We give Rivera the time he needs to turn things around.

That being said...I have expectations. I expect to be competing for the NFC Championship sometime in the next 4 years.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Fan’s collective confidence and mettle is so fraught from this organization’s past lack of success, that the thought of letting go someone who is simply thought of as “competent” and “well-respected” from critics outside of the organization completely throws them off. 

I’m sure Eric Schaffer would be an excellent asset to retain, but please understand everyone is replaceable. The team has been garbage for 20 years, 17 of which he has been within the organization. He simply doesn’t move the needle.

The standard needs to be elevated. This way of thinking from the fans (and more importantly) the organization is a big reason the team continues to trip over themselves.

Exactly, it's the whole reason I wanted to keep Gruden for years bc I didn't think Snyder would ever fire Brice and I didn't think we would get a better coach then the avg Gruden.

35 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm saddened by this news. I'm also a little alarmed it's turning into the Landover Panthers.

That being said, we did say to clean house, didn't we? This might be one of those moves that backfires (like letting KOC leave). But we won't know until later. Other moves (Manusky, et al going bye bye) are apparent.

We give Rivera the time he needs to turn things around.

That being said...I have expectations. I expect to be competing for the NFC Championship sometime in the next 4 years.

Yeah I’m not sold on all the moves but I expect him to maximize talent that’s what we’re buying right let’s see it.

• Like 2