My Dolphins Off Season Personnel Moves ver2.0

Swampbilly

Now that we are moving into the Off Season I thought I would take a shot at a mock Off Season for 2020.  I plan to update throughout the Combine, Pro Day, and Draft events.  Feel free to comment.  Criticism is expected and encouraged.  I will admit I'm wrong more than I'm right when it comes to my beloved Fins.

UFA

Brandon Scherff, OG, 4 yrs $50 Mil, $12.5 mil annual

Jamie Collins, OLB, 2 yrs $19 Mil, $9.5 mil annual

Bud Dupree, OLB, 5 yrs $75 Mil, $15 mil annual

RFA ( these are the 4 FA's I deem worthy of us keeping )

Vince Biegel OLB

Isiah Ford WR

Matt Haack P

Nick Needham CB

Draft

Round 1 Pick 5: Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama

Round 1 Pick 18:  CJ Henderson, CB, UF 

Round 1 Pick 25: Austin Jackson, OT, USC

Round 2 Pick 7: Tyler Biadasz, C/ OG, Wisconsin  

Round 2 Pick 30:  Antoine Winnfield Jr, FS/SS, Minnesota

Round 3 Pick 5: Cam Akers, RB, FSU

Round 4 ( compensatory pick ):  Clyde Edwards Helaire, RB, LSU

Round 5 Pick 7:  Khalil Davis, DT, Nebraska

Round 5 Pick 16:  Patrick Johnson, DE/OLB, Tulane

Round 5 Pick 27:  Thaddeus Moss, TE, LSU

Round 6 Pick 6:  Shi Smith, WR, South Carolina

Round 6 Pick 18:  Johnathan Garvin, DE/OLB, Miami

Round 7 Pick 32: Tedarrell Slaton, DT, UF

Round 7 Pick 36 ( compensatory pick ): Clay Johnston, LB, Baylor

Edited by Swampbilly
Draft Day Trade and Pick Adjustments

2 RBs that early seems overkill. And of course I’m very anti Round 1 RB. I love Davis, but the 5th seems unrealistic atm. Like Snowden too but the 7th also seems unrealistic for him. You never know though.

I think Judon and Thuney will command a lot more $$$. Conklin, maybe less.

1 hour ago, Tetsujin said:

2 RBs that early seems overkill. And of course I’m very anti Round 1 RB. I love Davis, but the 5th seems unrealistic atm. Like Snowden too but the 7th also seems unrealistic for him. You never know though.

I think Judon and Thuney will command a lot more $$$. Conklin, maybe less.

Thanks for the input.  I'm not big on RB's in round 1 either, but I think there was just too much value with Swift still being available late in the round, and remember that players selected in the first round get a 5th year option which means that if you find an elite back in round 1 then you can keep him for 5 years before commiting to overpaying him.  Additionally, Harris also has a high ceiling IMO and represented a lot of value at the end of round 2...….too much to pass up, especially since I see us as wanting to be more run oriented going forward.  Those 2 backs would be a nasty 1-2 punch, and both can run routes and catch, NASTEEEEE!!  Snowden is very much a project with a high ceiling but also a low floor IMO, so that's why I predict him to be a 6th or 7th rounder.  I think you are certainly correct on Davis, and the draft simulator I used didn't take into account the supplemental rounds which start at the end of round 3, which is where I think he ends up being drafted right now.  I think you're also probably correct about Judon…… he did have a nice season, same with Thuney.  I will probably drop Thuney as he is reportedly working an extension with the Pats and add more money towards Judon.  As for Conklin, I hope you are correct, but given that NFL teams are no longer differentiating between LOT's and ROT's when it comes to pay, I think he gets somewhere close to the numbers I listed.  He isn't the best pass blocker but is a NASTY run blocker when he wants to be, and I'm predicting we want to manage Fitz a little better next season by running more.

Overall.....great comments.  Thanks!!!

For me, the obvious negative is that you don't have the team addressing the offensive line more, especially at the tackle position. While there are no "can't miss" prospects for me, there are a lot of players worth looking in to in the top two rounds. Andrew Thomas, Jedrick Wills Jr, Tristan Wirfs, Austin Jackson, Alex Leatherwood, Josh Jones, Walker Little, Trey Adams etc. all have potential in the first two rounds. Even Trey Smith, who was a top tackle prospect before his health scares, could move back out to the edge or be a plug and play interior lineman and help beef up the line. Offensive tackle more times than not is one of the tougher positions to come in and play right away so I think it'd be best to get one or two of them on the field this coming year to learn and be ready to contribute to a winner sooner rather than later. And while Conklin does address one of the tackle positions, he really hasn't been good or healthy since his rookie year.

3 hours ago, skhurst0398 said:

For me, the obvious negative is that you don't have the team addressing the offensive line more, especially at the tackle position. While there are no "can't miss" prospects for me, there are a lot of players worth looking in to in the top two rounds. Andrew Thomas, Jedrick Wills Jr, Tristan Wirfs, Austin Jackson, Alex Leatherwood, Josh Jones, Walker Little, Trey Adams etc. all have potential in the first two rounds. Even Trey Smith, who was a top tackle prospect before his health scares, could move back out to the edge or be a plug and play interior lineman and help beef up the line. Offensive tackle more times than not is one of the tougher positions to come in and play right away so I think it'd be best to get one or two of them on the field this coming year to learn and be ready to contribute to a winner sooner rather than later. And while Conklin does address one of the tackle positions, he really hasn't been good or healthy since his rookie year.

Valid concern on Conklin.  I would love to draft 3 or 4 Olineman considering we have at least 10 picks in the 2020 draft, but looking at Grier’s history I don’t think that is likely.  I think we look more for quality over quantity when it comes to drafting OLinemen and it probably comes from the fact that colleges don’t make Olinemen like they used to.  I would love to have Thomas, Wirf, or Wills in round 1 but the way I think the draft plays out we miss out on them so we end up slightly reaching on one of the best interior Olinemen this draft Biadasz. I think we need Olinemen that can come in and start from day 1, and so do most of the other teams in the league which is why we either have to reach early or miss out and in this scenario I have us missing out based on what I think Grier does ( meaning he doesn’t get too desperate to trade up and reach on an Olineman a la Houston in 2019 ).  Additionally it isn’t going to be ideal to have 2 rookie Olinemen starting next to each other, so 1 or 2 being drafted by Grier is all I predict for the 2020 draft.

I tried to focus on being realistic when it comes to what I think is available and what I think Grier would do.  Nevertheless our situation will begin changing over the next few months and I plan to rework this as that happens.......so keep the thoughts coming.  Thanks!!!

2 hours ago, Dolphinmeister said:

If Miami does draft Tua  I wonder how that effects the needs of the O-line considering he is left handed, does the right side of the line become the dominate need  and maybe this was one of the underling thoughts of why Tunsil was tradable.

That’s exactly what I thought at the time we traded Tunsil.  His value to us wouldn’t be as high since he was a LT and since Tua was a Lefty his blindside would naturally be on the Right side.  Nevertheless, in the scenario of this mock off season, I have Tua being off the board before pick 5.  I have my fingers crossed that in reality he will still be there at 5 and we do draft him, but I’m figuring that everything goes well in his recovery and teams get the medical clearance from the doctors that he will be ready to play before the start of the 2020 season and therefore is drafted before pick 5.

Edited by Swampbilly

I personally hope Tua stays in school another year so he is a non factor in this years draft and proves his health and durability first before being drafted. I agree with keeping Ford also, I watched him play here at VA Tech and he is a really good smart possession receiver that will really help the short and middle passing game if Chans plan is to be a pass first offense.

7 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

I wonder how much Dante Fowler will command.

Fowler had a nice season.  58 tackles, 12 sacks, 2 forced fumbles.  He made $12 mil in 2019 according to spotrac.  I wouldnt be surprised if he is looking for $15 mil a season.  Too pricey IMO.

1 hour ago, Swampbilly said:

Fowler had a nice season.  58 tackles, 12 sacks, 2 forced fumbles.  He made $12 mil in 2019 according to spotrac.  I wouldnt be surprised if he is looking for $15 mil a season.  Too pricey IMO.

We have the cap space to where we could front-load a deal.