Bears fire a bunch of coaches (Mostly offense)

GOGRIESE

I was really pleased to see this. Imagine being told when Hiestand was hired that he's fired after two seasons... So much hype, so much regression. It's the right decision to let him go. 

The one that's a little surprising is Gilbride. I thought it might happen with the complete lack of production at the position, but also thought injuries may save him. Burton and Shaheen played injured all year then he was just thrown a bunch of undrafted guys to work with. But I guess it is a huge part of this offense and we got nothing out of it.

I also said in the Around the NFL thread that I'd put my money on Mike Kafka being the next OC. I think I'm losing my money. Sounds like we'll bring someone in who's really experienced in the run game. One name I saw banded about on Twitter as either OL coach or OC was Juan Castillo - been an OL coach for years in the NFL and worked with Nagy for years in Philly too.

17 minutes ago, RJ_11 said:

I was really pleased to see this. Imagine being told when Hiestand was hired that he's fired after two seasons... So much hype, so much regression. It's the right decision to let him go. 

The one that's a little surprising is Gilbride. I thought it might happen with the complete lack of production at the position, but also thought injuries may save him. Burton and Shaheen played injured all year then he was just thrown a bunch of undrafted guys to work with. But I guess it is a huge part of this offense and we got nothing out of it.

The OL did play poorly but the Bears could use an OT. Pace has never drafted an OT in the first two rounds of an NFL draft. Which is odd because most teams have at least 1 OT starting that was a first or 2nd round pick. Leno and Massie are at best average players.

1 hour ago, TB 1 said:

I never said that the Bears should fire Nagy but that his offense should have gotten better in his two years with the BEars with him being an offensive coach.

The offensive certainly needs to get better and if we can get an OC & OL coach who can improve the running game then we won't see Trubisky having to throw the ball a ridiculous amount of times...I also feel Trubisky can be effective in a Shanahan type offence and hopefully we can bring elements of that here...I would love McDaniel & Foerster from the 49ers.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Heistand and Gilbride did not have good personnel.

Gilbride was really screwed this season.

The regression on the OL is why Heistand needed to go. Multiple guys backsliding and playing terrible football at the same time.

I would disagree with that...the season before was probably Leno's best...Whitehair was always solid and Daniels looked like he was going to be a stud...even Massie was playing okay...HH had these guys going backwards...no development whatsoever.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I hope so.  Nagy needs to give someone else the playcalling responsibility.

Or share it at least, yeah. Hopefully that's what this all will end up meaning. I don't see why you'd need to get rid of Helfrich otherwise. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I would disagree with that...the season before was probably Leno's best...Whitehair was always solid and Daniels looked like he was going to be a stud...even Massie was playing okay...HH had these guys going backwards...no development whatsoever.

He had them playing well in 2018.

There is one above average lineman on this team and that is Whitehair.

Leno and Massie are average, even if they play above that for 1 year.

Daniels struggled and has been pretty mediocre.

Long was physically shot.

There is only 1 Bears OLmen who walks into a playoff teams OL room and starts.

56 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He had them playing well in 2018.

There is one above average lineman on this team and that is Whitehair.

Leno and Massie are average, even if they play above that for 1 year.

Daniels struggled and has been pretty mediocre.

Long was physically shot.

There is only 1 Bears OLmen who walks into a playoff teams OL room and starts.

This is not what you or many others were saying a year ago man.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

There's a measure of both involved. Pace invested a few 2nd round picks in the OL but otherwise has done little to improve that unit. The guys he drafted seem talented enough to be above-average starters, but the technique we saw this year was not working.

He inherited a Pro Bowl G and a decent LT. He invested two 2's in the other two spots and spent a bit on the RT. Knowing the aging and rather bad roster he had to play with when he got here thanks to Emery, what else did you want him to do?