2020 - Inside the Locker

VigilantZombie

Inside the Locker

New England Patriots | Tom Brady

General Manager @Deadpulse of the Patriots parted ways with future HOF first ballot and 6 time super bowl champion Tom Brady.  I still remember that first Super Bowl win against the powerhouse offense ran by Kurt Warner.  Not even a fan of the team, but I was that year.  9/11 and working in Saudi Arabia that Patriot win was just fitting and in my opinion really aided in the healing of America.  So reading that the Patriots were moving on from Brady brought back a lot of memories, some good some bad.

Actually surprised that this move wasn't talked about more, we're talking about one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game and the Chicago Bears GM, @BowserBroncos was the only one to even make an offer.  What was more surprising than the silence was the replacement and the amount that New England paid for Teddy Bridgewater.

Breaking down the contracts

• Voiding the remaining two years of Tom Brady's two year contract cost the patriots $13.5 million in dead money (accelerated signing bonuses)
  • Bridgewater's first year of his 5 year contract $22,400,000

Essentially costing the New England franchise in 2020; $35.9 million for a quarterback that hasn't played a full season since 2015, which also happens to be the only year he's played a full season in his 5 year career.

Where on the other hand, the Bears didn't flinch when they entered the free agency day one without any competing offers dropped not only Mitch Trubisky but also a 2 year / 55 million dollar deal on the 42 year old veteran.

If Brady does decide to stick around another year, the Bears will be walking to the playoffs this year.

• Like 1

Inside the Locker

Free Agency | Round 3

With two days until the Sunday deadline, rumors are already flying around the room, with over half of the league getting active early.  Cornerback continues to be the main focus in this week's free agency as clubs target up to 10 this early.   With cost coming down running back and receiver are also climbing the popularity ladder.

The Jacksonville Jaguars @Trojan are currently in the RED by about 500k so we'll be watching for either adjustments to their pending contracts or other means to free up some cash.  The Patriots are another team to watch in the next day or two to see if they clear some cap to get back into free agency.

It's still early but it appears that the volume of contracts being offered is slowing down, which we typically don't see a drop in bidding until around week 5...stay tuned.

Inside the Locker

Baltimore Ravens | OT James Hurst

It is being reported that OT James Hurst has been suspended for the first 4 games of the 2020 season for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

"The 28-year-old lineman just finished his sixth NFL season. He was active for all 16 games and made two starts at left tackle. The veteran lineman served as a backup to virtually every position along the offensive line.  Originally undrafted out of North Carolina in 2014, Hurst has played in 90 games and started 44 games for the Ravens.  He is eligible to participate in offseason activities, training camp and preseason games. The suspension begins the first week of the regular season and he is eligible to return to the active roster on Monday after the team's fourth game."

We have reached out to the Ravens general manager @ravens5520 for comment.

Inside the Locker

Free Agency | Round 3

The cornerback list continues to grow with popularity standing at 9 potential signings as well as running back (7) and receiver (8).  

The Bengals @sparky151 will need to find a way to free up cap for 2021 as they are currently 3 million over the cap.  

Since the last update nothing much has really changed in terms of potential signings vs teams being outbid.

With several hours remaining until this weeks deadline, Sunday, we are still patiently waiting for the other quarter of the league to get involved....stay tuned.

Inside the Locker

Trade Values | Steelers / Colts

A number of trades have taken place since the season ended but only a few stand out as either headscratchers, where the value seemed to favor one team more than the other or what we consider mega trades.  None more than the Steelers trading JuJu Smith-schuster to the Colts.  The trade involved the Steelers trading JuJu along with Mark Barron, an aging but still effective linebacker. In exchange for the Colts 3rd round pick (75 overall) along with Kemoko Turay and Bobby Okereke.  Kemoko hasn't started enough games to be considered any real value in this trade.  While Bobby, a linebacker drafted in the 3rd round last year has showed promise, posting solid numbers his rookie year.

The way we see it, Turay hasn't proven himself to be a starter in this league yet and Bobby for Mark is a wash leaving the actual trade; JuJu to the Colts for a high/mid level 3rd round pick.  JuJu was drafted in the bottom of the second round (62 overall) which was a steal considering his 3 years of stats in the NFL, his value is much much more.

We would love to understand the logic of this trade from both parties if they're willing to talk with us.

@Cbrunn & @Counselor we look forward to hearing from you two.      

Edited by ny92mike
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Inside the Locker

Trade Values | Steelers / Colts

A number of trades have taken place since the season ended but only a few stand out as either headscratchers where the value seemed to favor one team more than the other.  None more than the Steelers trading JuJu Smith-schuster to the Colts.  The trade involved the Steelers trading JuJu along with Mark Barron, an aging but still effective linebacker. In exchange for the Colts 3rd round pick (75 overall) along with Kemoko Turay and Bobby Okereke.  Kemoko hasn't started enough games to be considered any real value in this trade.  While Bobby, a linebacker drafted in the 3rd round last year has showed promise, posting solid numbers his rookie year.

The way we see it, Turay hasn't proven himself to be a starter in this league yet and Bobby for Mark is a wash leaving the actual trade; JuJu to the Colts for a high/mid level 3rd round pick.  JuJu was drafted in the bottom of the second round (62 overall) which was a steal considering his 3 years of stats in the NFL, his value is much much more.

We would love to understand the logic of this trade from both parties if they're willing to talk with us.

@Cbrunn & @Counselor we look forward to hearing from you two.      

Do I respond here?

Just now, Counselor said:

I needed a WR to compliment TY Hilton. I have Pascal who was solid last year and Parris Campbell who was a second round pick and injured last year but I needed a true threat. The Steelers made that offer to me and I felt it was an offer I could not turn down. 

Wow...This is news!  We had no idea that it was the Steelers that were shopping JuJu.  Was the GM initially looking for draft pick value and the other pieces just get worked into the deal?