I believe we need/should trade with Cinci, before the NFL Combine.

aceinthehouse

And here's why:

Every year like clockwork, the NFL Combine comes.

And every year, the hype begins with these players. It's why or a big reason why some players shoot up the draft board & some plummett.

If we don't make a trade with Cinci as early as we possibly can for that #1 pick? Somebody else will.

Yes, I'm talking Chase Young.

Every Redskins board has "Redskins got Chase Young, Redskins gonna get Chase Young."

Even Twitter has exploded with these "Matter of Facts".

My response? We ain't got **** yet. We got the #2 pick. Not the #1.

If we wait till after the NFL Combine, when Chase Young leaps buildings, lifts 225 lbs a 💯 times & runs a 40 in 4.42 in official time.

Every damn team in the League, is gonna offer a trade to the Bengals for the #1 pick that we simply cannot or will not match. (Specially, Dolphins, Raiders or Jaguars)

So...How do you avoid this? 

You trade up, as soon as it becomes March 18th I believe. Trades become open for all 32 teams 

While teams are busy with other aspects of their roster, the Redskins need to put together a trade offer to Cincinnati for the #1 overall pick. To ensure Chase Young for this team.

It shouldn't be nearly as much, as it would be if we had won some meaningless games and dropped to #4 or 5 in the draft.

But since we were smart or lucked into it, we need to take further advantage of that.

Now, what could we offer Cinci that early in the Trade process?

We'll, I think Trent Williams would be an excellent offer, but the Bengals did draft rookie 1st Rd pick LT Jonah Williams last yr. He simply got hurt in training camp I believe & was out for the year.

Ryan Kerrigan is another possibility, as he may not be in the plans for this *new* Regime & would clear some cap.

Either way, it would be wise for Rivera to be aggressive in this manner. And to be aggressive early on.

Cause if Chase Young is as good as you guys say he is & the next LT or generational talent?

Then enjoy picking Andrew Thomas @#2.

Cause Chase Young won't be there, when we pick @#2.

Cause some team, stupid or smart? Is going to offer a deal to the Bengals that they can't refuse for that #1 pick.

Or...the Bengals will realize after the NFL combine, that they would be foolish to pass on a player like Chase Young.

When they know there will be other great potential QB's with the 1st pick in the 2nd Round, that they could draft.

And the select Chase Young #1 overall.

TRADE FOR THE #1 PICK, AS SOON AS YOUR ALLOWED TOO.

Before the hype on him is even more ridiculous.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

If I'm that team trading up for Burrow?

Why not wait till the Lions at #3?

Which means Redskins are possibly stuck @#2.

And it would be cheaper for team to move up to #3, rather than #2.

Teams want the top QB on the their draft board. Bears did it for Tribusky. Giants taking Jones over Haskins last year was a surprise to many. Yet it taught me teams are willing to make trades to secure the Guys They Want, Especially the QB they want. Steelers made a move for a player outside the QB position last year for a LB. 

21 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

If I'm that team trading up for Burrow?

Why not wait till the Lions at #3?

Which means Redskins are possibly stuck @#2.

And it would be cheaper for team to move up to #3, rather than #2.

The Chargers drafted Eli and then traded. Were not stuck no matter what.

When you have a disgruntled player such as Trent Williams. Why not use whatever value he has left, in securing the top player on your draft board.

Specially, if he's leaving or not playing for you no matter what.

Say I could trade Trent Williams to the Bengals & the #2 overall draft pick?

For their #1 overall draft pick & say their 3rd rounder?

Would you not make that move?

Securing your position for Chase Young @#1?

Unloading Trent Williams drama & cap space?

While adding a 3rd round draft pick?

25 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

When you have a disgruntled player such as Trent Williams. Why not use whatever value he has left, in securing the top player on your draft board.

Specially, if he's leaving or not playing for you no matter what.

Say I could trade Trent Williams to the Bengals & the #2 overall draft pick?

For their #1 overall draft pick & say their 3rd rounder?

Would you not make that move?

Securing your position for Chase Young @#1?

Unloading Trent Williams drama & cap space?

While adding a 3rd round draft pick?

But you are also trading veterans to the Bengals, who are also rebuilding and have no use for them.  The Bengals are going to want draft picks from anyone to move up, or players who are 26 or younger who fit a core for Joe Burrow.  Not guys who are already at the age where players consider retirement, and have one year left on their contracts.  This kind of move only works for the Redskins, not the Bengals.  

And in any event, if the Bengals don't like Burrow and trade Young, or move out of the pick because they got a Godfather offer they couldn't refuse, you adjust.  They should absolutely be doing their due diligence on Burrow just in case as well.  

In my personal opinion, and one already being echoed by most of the draft experts right now, the Bengals are in a slam dunk position for what they need (Burrow) and the Redskins are in a slam dunk position for what they need (Young.) . Neither team really needs to make a trade, because the talent level for Burrow is levels above the QBs usually available, and Chase Young is a once a decade type talent defensively.  

Washington, no matter how good Young may turn out to be, is in zero position to give things away to move up one pick, even veterans like Kerrigan or Williams.

As I said before, the logic is simple: if Young is as good as they say and he's there, draft him. If he isn't (present or the pre draft evaluations reveal more problems than he is worth), look to auction the pick to the Dolphins, Chargers, or Panthers for a king's ransom. If that doesn't work out, draft Thomas or best available LT (I have seen enough of the young guys that getting Jeudy isn't as important as protecting Haskins).

• Like 2