Lack of participation/interest on this forum?

43M

This was originally a gameday thread before Chief pointed out the sticky (thanks Chief), but what is up with this forum anymore?  I remember when we had no trouble finding people to make GDTs and could even do things like have fantasy mock drafts with plenty of people to participate.   Now, hardly anyone wants to do write ups and in general, we hardly have a presence on this forum anymore.  I understand there are alot of Steeler forums out there and that our ONLINE fanbase is probably spread thin among them, but Im disappointed we havent drawn many newer posters or retained some of the quality ones we had in the past.    It would be nice to try to find ways to maybe draw some more in, although we cant really advertise this place on other forums....and with that, you also risk the possibility of drawing in some trolls as well.   

Either way, in the coming months, I might try some things to boost participation on this forum, and perhaps TRY to draw in some new posters.   I have some ideas, and if anyone else has some, feel free to share.

Although I agree with what you're saying it's hard for me to be to vocal about it as I think it would be hypocritical for me. In my nearly 12 years and 5,000+ posts, rarely have my posts been more than a sentence or two.  Very few are more than a paragraph. I came to FF mostly to read others' POVs and thoughts on the team. I guess I still do that. It seems that many of those folks have spent less time on here than they did 12 years ago. Perhaps because they had less responsibility back then? I still enjoy reading your (43) rants and perspective on things. I always look forward to JPN's and armsteeld's prospect analysis as well as many others' content. And even tho I can get involved in "petty" disputes with other posters (I'm looking at you CKSteeler and Ward4HOF) I actually enjoy reading their perspectives. It challenges my line of thinking and often times changes my mind on things (to a degree). In the end, who knows why there seems to be less input? The site I left to come to FF died 12 years ago. It was down to maybe 5 members and weeks would go by w/o a post. They kept the same format for years. At least FF it trying to evolve. With that there may be some growing pains. I may be biased but I think the Steeler forum has some the brightest minds on the internet. Even if they don't post as much. Which is too bad. I hope you continue to write your detailed thoughts on things. It isn't just being lost in cyberspace. I know I read it and I think everyone else does too. Rarely does a 43 post go un-replied to. As for the GDTs, I suck at them. I did two last year (or maybe the year before) and it was admittedly bad. I never even looked at the GDT signup thread. I guess I should cause a crappy one is better than none.  

Was wondering the same thing.  I'm hot and cold on here but I usually pay attention to what's going on.  With the new forum, it's going to take time to get the mojo back, I think.  Some, like Magnus, didn't realize we were switching over until the very end.  If someone wasn't on here for awhile and then missed an email, they might not know what's happening.  

You know I was at my kids' school last night and I saw a kid wearing Atlanta Falcons gear and was thinking that every time a franchise wins a Super Bowl (or almost wins one O.o)  it picks up a whole new generation of fans.  And likewise, there are casual Steelers fans out there that might not dive into a forum like this unless the team is contending for or winning a title.  That's just how it goes...  fwiw

Probably the best technical way to attract fresh blood is to have good discussions and rank for searches, etc.  

43M. I nominate you Mayor of this burg.  :D  

I always saw myself as a lurker on here. I've been trying to step it up a bit since the move. Plus work, buying a house, and having a serious SO for once really takes up some time. I also rarely get to watch the games on a big screen as I'm mostly streaming them due to the stinkin' Chiefs hogging CBS in Missouri. 

I do miss the days of fury, Irish, spush, the bb7's, and aldo. The old guard left and we've done a poor job stepping up. 

You know, sometimes less is more.  It would be nice if there was some more activity on here, but it's better to be like this with all tolerable posters, than with some real morons that are just here to troll.  Cutwolf was the name of the worst one in the past if I recall correctly.  Every forum has one it seems.  Eventually.  I'd rather have less activity and less antagonization.  So if you do, be very careful who you invite.  

2 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

You know, sometimes less is more.  It would be nice if there was some more activity on here, but it's better to be like this with all tolerable posters, than with some real morons that are just here to troll.  Cutwolf was the name of the worst one in the past if I recall correctly.  Every forum has one it seems.  Eventually.  I'd rather have less activity and less antagonization.  So if you do, be very careful who you invite.  

Less is more, indeed.  In the words of Shakespeare:  "We few.  we happy few, we band of brothers."  

For your entertainment:  

We have a solid group here....I guess Im just disappointed in some good guys we have lost, like treat, keth and a few others.

Yeah, sometimes less is better, because the more you have, the more youre likely to have a bad apple, but in general, enthusiasm in general is just down on here.    

13 hours ago, warfelg said:

I think it's just the changeover and forums as a whole having interest die out.

Its not the changeover because Ive been feeling this way the last few years.

You are somewhat right about the forums, but some other Steeler forums are booming (which I dont really post on because there are too many blind homer Steeler yinzers on those forums), and other team subforums on here still get alot of participation.

It's definitely been down for a while here.  I've popped on here off and on for quite a few years now, and it used to be pretty busy, but it was busy with trolls too.  I'll take slower, with a few decent posters, over busy with trolls any day.  Do you know what happened to a few of the decent posters that disappeared?  

1 hour ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

It's definitely been down for a while here.  I've popped on here off and on for quite a few years now, and it used to be pretty busy, but it was busy with trolls too.  I'll take slower, with a few decent posters, over busy with trolls any day.  Do you know what happened to a few of the decent posters that disappeared?  

I know a couple of them migrated to other Steeler forums.

@FourThreeMafia thanks for getting the ball rolling and trying to increase the participation in here.  We have a lot of Steelers fans on this forum and there is no reason it can't be one of our more active team forums.  

Here are a few ways members can help increase the activity in the Steelers forum.

Start new descriptive topics.  For some reason members don't start new topics anymore.  Instead everything is posted in one or two general topics. This is really bad for activity.  It makes the conversation difficult to follow and many members don't want to sort through 25 pages of game day talk to find something interesting.   So go ahead start a new topic about that rookie who looked good this week or that vet who is struggling.  Anything and everything Steelers should be discussed in here with a new topic.  

Follow the forum.  Click on the 'Follow' button above the 'Start New topic' button on the Steelers forum home page.  Now you can receive a notification when new posts are made in the forum.  Never miss anything and be ready to reply quickly.  You can get a push notification to your browser, a daily email, or weekly email.    You can also follow your favorite members and topics.  

Click the football and like posts.  If a member makes a quality post click the football in the bottom corner and show them their efforts are appreciated.  This will encourage more activity and better content.  

Update your profile and put 'Steelers' as your favorite NFL team.   Now you're listed in a search for Steelers fans and other Steelers fans can interact with you easily. 

Use mentions to call your favorite members into a discussion.  Some of our most active Steelers fans rarely visit the Steelers forum.  If you start a new topic  use the @mention feature to give them a heads up that you would like their thoughts on your topic in the steelers forum.  

Get to know each other and create a community.   The most active team forums on here all have very active off-topic discussion.  They get to know each other and keep coming back to the forum because they are truly friends.    Use the off-topic thread to get to know each other and become a tight knit community.  

Archived