(Polls) Finalists Set: Choose Your Preferred GM/HC Pairing

Mind Character

Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?

• GM: Dave Ziegler/Nick Caserio; HC: Josh McDaniels
    • GM: Andrew Berry; HC: Kevin Stefanski
    • GM: Eliot Wolf; HC: Mike McCarthy
  2. 2. Which Pairing will ultimately be selected by the Haslams?

3. 3. Which Pairing has the greatest chance of blowing up in an epic fashion?

32 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Little something about McDaniels' offense and how he exploits matchups etc... Makes Freddie look like a kindergartner.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl-playoffs/2018/1/31/16953440/josh-mcdaniels-patriots-mismatches

Yup. Admit that McDaniels has somehow weaseled his way into Tayne's #1 slot from the likely hires. Stefanski is understandable as well, but the Patriots's offense just looks well-coached, not just because of the goat. The running game is fun to watch. But who knows? Admit to some paralysis-by-analysis fatigue at this point and would love for the Browns to just rip off the band-aid and hire someone already.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BiscuitBrown said:

Why not just go with the guy who’s won a  championship As a head coach??

After Stefanski play calling today we should cancel his interview. 

Gotta give credit to NO. They were a top5 DVOA defense. I think the only way I will like the Stef hire is if Kubiak comes as his OC

• Like 2

I heard on the Fan this morning Buno that people in Minnesota believe Kubiak is the real driving force behind the Vikings offense - not Stefanski. Just like Ken Zampese here in town last year behind Freddie. We all saw how that worked out once Freddie stepped away from Ken.

If true about Stefanski - hard pass. Been there, done that.

39 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

I heard on the Fan this morning Buno that people in Minnesota believe Kubiak is the real driving force behind the Vikings offense - not Stefanski. Just like Ken Zampese here in town last year behind Freddie. We all saw how that worked out once Freddie stepped away from Ken.

If true about Stefanski - hard pass. Been there, done that.

If they hire Stefanski because of his leadership and such that's fine, he really shouldn't call plays regardless. Kubiak is an offensive guru cut from the same cloth as the Shanahan's so I'd wager it is mostly him. I would consider Kubiak for head coach as well.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Yup. Admit that McDaniels has somehow weaseled his way into Tayne's #1 slot from the likely hires. Stefanski is understandable as well, but the Patriots's offense just looks well-coached, not just because of the goat. The running game is fun to watch. But who knows? Admit to some paralysis-by-analysis fatigue at this point and would love for the Browns to just rip off the band-aid and hire someone already.

It is an important point that coaching trumps scheme. 

• Like 1

On Stefanski and Last Year:

I have my doubts regarding if Stefanski truly wants to come here as his #1 preferred option, and I'm going to predict he goes to Carolina.

That's because last year it was reported that Stefanski told various assistant coaches he was going to be taking with him, as well as Vikings people that he was led to believe that he was going to get the job by the Browns.

At that same time, Brad Childress resigned from his Head Coach/GM position at the AAF Atlanta Legends team.  The timing on the resignation and reporting on it suggested that Childress did so in order to come with Stefanski to Cleveland on a Senior Assistant position.

The Browns dragged on their decision then chose Freddie. The Haslam's looked pissed at the press conference. 

Stefanski may have felt mislead.

-----------

It's McDaniels

With McCarthy, it's like I said before with McDaniels, the Haslam's won't run the risk of losing out on their golden boy just because they want to wait to interview Kevin Stefanski. You can't wait. They waited on McCarthy in order to interview other candidates and he's now the Cowboys Head Coach.

In a perfect world, the Browns would wait to interview Stefanski and consider all their options, but with the Giants and Panthers calling on McDaniels I doubt that the Haslam's will especially given the fact that McDaniels is seemingly their first option.

It's a shame that Stefanski won't get another shot. As much as we heralded McDaniels offensive mind, it's Stefanski that has the emotional stability, leadership temperament paired with a good offensive mind that make him imo a more longterm, sustainable "blow it up proof" Head Coaching candidate.

As I and others have said in previous posts, it's all McDaniels. He'll be named our next HC and probably will be named so before Stefanksi even interviews.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

Well, the best remaining candidate went to the Cowboys, that sucks.

I bet while the hapless Haslams continue to overturn every rock, McDaniels goes to the Giants and Stefanski to the Panthers, leaving us with either Daboll, Roman, or Saleh. I'd like it to be Roman, therefore it will be Daboll (Truckstop Jimmy revisiting his Pettine glory days of hiring Bills assistants without a knowledgable football voice in the room).

• Like 2

22 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

I know Stefnaski was DePodestas pick last year but was McDanies even a option last year ?. I don't remember if he took interviews ok last year or not? Who's to say DePo doesn't like McDaniels more?

DePodesta has spoken at multiple Leadership conferences about core traits such as willingness to learn and stay on the cutting edge, adaptability, ability to delegate to experts, emotional quotient, emotional intelligence, and emotional discipline as core components of what he seems to find as critical elements of effective leadership.

It's hard to say that Josh McDaniels thrives in those attribute categories of leadership so in my opinion it's unlikely that DePodesta would see McDaniels as the top candidate. We can't know for sure of course, but I seriously doubt it even if DePo values various other attributes and abilities of Josh McDaniels.

We'll see.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

On Stefanski and Last Year:

I have my doubts regarding if Stefanski truly wants to come here as his #1 preferred option, and I'm going to predict he goes to Carolina.

That's because last year it was reported that Stefanski told various assistant coaches he was going to be taking with him, as well as Vikings people that he was led to believe that he was going to get the job by the Browns.

At that same time, Brad Childress resigned from his Head Coach/GM position at the AAF Atlanta Legends team.  The timing on the resignation and reporting on it suggested that Childress did so in order to come with Stefanski to Cleveland on a Senior Assistant position.

The Browns dragged on their decision then chose Freddie. The Haslam's looked pissed at the press conference. 

Stefanski may have felt mislead.

-----------

It's McDaniels

With McCarthy, it's like I said before with McDaniels, the Haslam's won't run the risk of losing out on their golden boy just because they want to wait to interview Kevin Stefanski. You can't wait. They waited on McCarthy in order to interview other candidates and he's now the Cowboys Head Coach.

In a perfect world, the Browns would wait to interview Stefanski and consider all their options, but with the Giants and Panthers calling on McDaniels I doubt that the Haslam's will especially given the fact that McDaniels is seemingly their first option.

It's a shame that Stefanski won't get another shot. As much as we heralded McDaniels offensive mind, it's Stefanski that has the emotional stability, leadership temperament paired with a good offensive mind that make him imo a more longterm, sustainable "blow it up proof" Head Coaching candidate.

As I and others have said in previous posts, it's all McDaniels. He'll be named our next HC and probably will be named so before Stefanksi even interviews.

You were saying you didn’t like Stefanski not too long ago 😂

Anyway I’ve been waiting on when McDaniels will officially visit. As of last night my Butch Davis is telling me he won’t leave Cleveland without a contract. If he comes in today he’ll sign by tomorrow. 

My dark horse is still Saleh. I’ve heard the Haslams were very impressed. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I agree. I want to bring McDaniels in. He's my #1 choice at the moment. He always has a productive offense and it's not all just Tom Brady making miracles happen. They scheme guys open and know how to get production out of talentless hacks. Freaking Rex Burkhead is out there looking like a stud for them. They do the most with the least whereas this past year, we arguably did the least with the most.

And McDaniels at least has HC experience. I know it wasn't a great run there, but it's not like he had a great roster to work with. Also, you have to think that he's learned from his mistakes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

I agree. I want to bring McDaniels in. He's my #1 choice at the moment. He always has a productive offense and it's not all just Tom Brady making miracles happen. They scheme guys open and know how to get production out of talentless hacks. Freaking Rex Burkhead is out there looking like a stud for them. They do the most with the least whereas this past year, we arguably did the least with the most.

And McDaniels at least has HC experience. I know it wasn't a great run there, but it's not like he had a great roster to work with. Also, you have to think that he's learned from his mistakes.

Now just have him bring in Wade Phillips and an ultra-structured OC (one of those cases where the hope is that HC still runs the offense) to create culture and we're cooking.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Now just have him bring in Wade Phillips and an ultra-structured OC (one of those cases where the hope is that HC still runs the offense) to create culture and we're cooking.

Would love to bring in Wade!  If that’s who we get for DC sign McDaniels post haste if not sooner. 

• Like 1