(Polls) Finalists Set: Choose Your Preferred GM/HC Pairing

Mind Character

Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?

• GM: Dave Ziegler/Nick Caserio; HC: Josh McDaniels
    • GM: Andrew Berry; HC: Kevin Stefanski
    • GM: Eliot Wolf; HC: Mike McCarthy
  2. 2. Which Pairing will ultimately be selected by the Haslams?

3. 3. Which Pairing has the greatest chance of blowing up in an epic fashion?

Lost in the Stefanski love is the fact that the Vikings offense was struggling mightily earlier this season prompting big personalities like Stefon DIggs to request a trade and Adam Theilen publicly voicing frustration.

Beat writers in Minnesota have reported that Gary Kubiak was given more power around the offensive planning and directed to merge more zone blocking, misdirection, and passing concepts into Stefanski's game planning. Kubiak also helped Stefanski resolve relational issues with Diggs.

To me, as much as I think Stefanski has all the intangibles to be a good head coach, at this time I wouldn't want him to come in unless he's going to give full-time OC responsibilities to someone else out the game. I'd hope that person was a coach on the caliber of Mike La Fleur.

Outside of such a coaching staff structuring if I have to push my chips into the middle of the table, I'd bet on Mike McCarthy, but would hope that we'd 1.) Bring Andrew Berry back no matter what to work with Eliot Wolf, and 2.) Could somehow force McCarthy to hire a young talented OC-in waiting candidate that could take over duties relatively soon.  I don't believe in Jim Haslett as a DC nor do I believe in some of McCarthy's reported hires.

In a non-perfect world in such a critical time, McCarthy with a vibrant, talented innovative staff recommendations along with bringing back Andrew Berry is likely the best option, but McCarthy staff is so uninspiring.

Kevin Stefanski has his own problems and I worry about the staff he could put together. The good news is b/c of his youth he may be the most amenable to bringing in other young or older talented assistants. 

Edited by Mind Character

Seeing what Belichick's assistants do outside of the organization is informative.

It's funny to me how little Josh McDaniels time as OC in St. Louis is ever brought up in discussion. It's always Denver and New England.

That year St. Louis had the Worst (32nd) ranked DVOA Offensive Efficiency Offense in the entire league. Interesting enough is that it was 32nd when Sam Bradford got injured 10 games into the season and it stayed 32nd. So, it wasn't just Bradford going down. They had deficiencies in terms of skill playmakers but Steven Jackson was still an impact player in the league. This was in 2011.

Frank Cignetti Jr., McCarthy's primary offensive assistant and likely OC coordinated the 29th overall DVOA offense in 2015 with the Rams. Cignetti isn't thought to be a quality QB or offensive mind/coach either. If McCarthy comes here we need a better offensive staff. We need to pair him with some young stars.

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

No clue. Honestly not that concerned about GM/HC. Obviously both have importance but I'm much more concerned about OC/DC and getting the players we have in a position to win.

No doub that OC/DC are vital, but HC is King and literally Everything. They are the Culture and Program Leader. That matters most.