(Polls) Finalists Set: Choose Your Preferred GM/HC Pairing

Mind Character

Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?

• GM: Dave Ziegler/Nick Caserio; HC: Josh McDaniels
    • GM: Andrew Berry; HC: Kevin Stefanski
    • GM: Eliot Wolf; HC: Mike McCarthy
  2. 2. Which Pairing will ultimately be selected by the Haslams?

3. 3. Which Pairing has the greatest chance of blowing up in an epic fashion?

43 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Wishful thinking: Tony Dungy.....its time to bring Moses back......and I would COMPLETELY trust him to put together a staff (I think some coaches would want to leave their current positions to work with that guy).

The things Tony Dungy could do in the locker room and meeting rooms to develop the maturity and approach of this team would be extraordinaire.

Dungy hasn't had favorable comments regarding the Haslam's and Baker Mayfield so unfortunately I don't think it would be a real possibility.

Would be an amazing hire though.

Dan Campbell interviewed with the Browns last year. It is interesting that only Kevin Stefanski out of the candidate group last year is reportedly getting a second look.

Here in the forum the focus is on the big three, McDaniels, McCarthy and Stefanski, however someone could blow the interview away especially since the Browns supposedly want a "leader of men" coach.  That is how Mike Tomlin got the job in Pittsburgh.  Everyone assumed that it would be Ken Whisenhunt or possibly Russ Grimm.   Tomlin was not well known and came out of nowhere to blow the Rooneys away.  (They had also previously  interviewed Ron Rivera for the Rooney Rule.)   Haslam said that this time they would let the process go to completion.  It's my guess that the interview process probably had Stefanski as the number one candidate last year, but Dorsey already knew he wanted to hire Kitchens and made case for Kitchens and the Haslams let him have his way.  (Another guess is that Hue impressed the Haslams but didn't check the boxes for rebuilding patience and use of analytics and they hired him despite the bad fit with Sashi and DePodesta).  I suspect this time they are committed to trusting the answer that the interview process gives them and will hire whoever gives them the best combination of leadership, openness to analytics and working collaboratively with the gm and analytics staff.  Will the Haslams stick to the plan?  Have they ever?  I guess there is a first time for everything.o.O

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You mean except for the two guys they just fired after less than a year?

Ah it was suppose to be when we were hiring both at the same time. Seem like in years past. We would hire the GM and HC who were completely different from one another and tried and force them together like Sashi and Hue

12 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

But McDaniels wont be coming here if he has to report to Depo. I believe Jake Trotter said that today on twitter that what McDaniels wants doesnt include Depo having power over him. He wants full control like BB has like who he hires, who reports to him, how the structure is in place, ect

McCarthy can be a similar hire that Andy Reid was when he left Philly and went to KC and sort of reinvented himself. I would take that all day long.

The only reason that Im not super excited about Stefanski is the fact that he is a first time guy with no HC experience. We have done that type of hire so many times in the past 15 years and it has never worked out. I cant even remember the last time we hired a proven commodity at HC. Everyone is always a new experiment that fails miserably going for OC/DC to HC.

I think it will be Stefanski if Depo has as much power as Jimmy makes it out to be, but I would just prefer the safer route with a proven guy like McCarthy. I dont want another unknown at HC and thats what Stefanski is. You know exactly what your getting with McCarthy and that to me is the appeal. This team needs to know what they are getting with the next guy and cannot go through another screw up with a first time HC.

Where are we getting that the coach is reporting to Depo?  The Coach the GM and Depo report directly to Haslam.  Also Depo is running the search and can his analytics team work with McD?  

I don't see what having Depo here has to do with McD coming or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I have zero confidence in the structure. The success of it will be dependent upon the people within it, like any structure is. But the structure itself sets those within it up for failure. 

I actually am reasonably confident it can and will work this time because it feels like it won’t be a arranged marriage this time. DePo the HC and the GM will all be on the same page

There are 4-5 Principal People on Our Coach/GM Search Team:

1.) JW Johnson - No Football Experience; TV Executive

2.) Jimmy Haslam - No Football Experience except as a trash owner

3.) Paul DePodesta - Played College Football at Harvard

4.) Chris Cooper - Football Capologist, Football Administrator

5.) Dee Haslam - No Football Experience except as a trash owner

---------

-- Their goal is to hire the best Football Coach and General Manager candidate; however, none of them have any expertise in football and/or organizational football building. So, what attributes are they paying attention to in order to make their decisions? 

It's a problem when Paul DePodesta is the best football mind in the room in order to help the decision-making process.

Without football expertise and knowing what to and what not to ignore, it makes sense why the Haslam's often become enamored with personality and outwardly expressive things that may not really speak to attributes of a long-term successful program leader.

I actually think a Mike McCarthy will impress that group a lot because he'll speak expertly with a super bowl behind his words while the Haslam's and ownership can barely put their football shoes on correctly.

Big personalities like Eric Bienemy and Robert Saleh are likely to get their pants tingling a great deal as well.

• Like 2