(Polls) Finalists Set: Choose Your Preferred GM/HC Pairing

Mind Character

Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?

• GM: Dave Ziegler/Nick Caserio; HC: Josh McDaniels
    • GM: Andrew Berry; HC: Kevin Stefanski
    • GM: Eliot Wolf; HC: Mike McCarthy
  2. 2. Which Pairing will ultimately be selected by the Haslams?

3. 3. Which Pairing has the greatest chance of blowing up in an epic fashion?

5 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

There are 4-5 Principal People on Our Coach/GM Search Team:

1.) JW Johnson - No Football Experience; TV Executive

2.) Jimmy Haslam - No Football Experience except as a trash owner

3.) Paul DePodesta - Played College Football at Harvard

4.) Chris Cooper - Football Capologist, Football Administrator

5.) Dee Haslam - No Football Experience except as a trash owner

---------

-- Their goal is to hire the best Football Coach and General Manager candidate; however, none of them have any expertise in football and/or organizational football building. So, what attributes are they paying attention to in order to make their decisions? 

It's a problem when Paul DePodesta is the best football mind in the room in order to help the decision-making process.

Without football expertise and knowing what to and what not to ignore, it makes sense why the Haslam's often become enamored with personality and outwardly expressive things that may not really speak to attributes of a long-term successful program leader.

I actually think a Mike McCarthy will impress that group a lot because he'll speak expertly with a super bowl behind his words while the Haslam's and ownership can barely put their football shoes on correctly.

Big personalities like Eric Bienemy and Robert Saleh are likely to get their pants tingling a great deal as well.

Jimmy seems committed to analytics this time around, I think that they will go that direction, i think that is the only thing he has displayed some commitment too. 

• Like 1

something we have not talked about here. . .

the possibility that stefanski will be hired as the next head coach of the minnesota vikings
there are rumblings that they love him so much and they may move on from zimmer if they lose

stefanski's interview with the browns hasn't been announced yet . . .

13 minutes ago, mistakey said:

the possibility that stefanski will be hired as the next head coach of the minnesota vikings
there are rumblings that they love him so much and they may move on from zimmer if they lose

Yeah I think there is a VERY good chance of that.

They would retain Stefanski, they would retain Kubiak, and Zimmer I'm hearing they could trade to the cowboys...

There is certainly a chance that we missed out on him not hiring him last year.

32 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Breaking my balls here mistakey

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

I actually am reasonably confident it can and will work this time because it feels like it won’t be a arranged marriage this time. DePo the HC and the GM will all be on the same page

That's why I said that ultimately it depends on the people hired. If it's Berry/DePo/Stefanski I feel pretty good about the lockstep there. But if it's, say, Depo/McCarthy/Wolf? Or Depo/McDaniels/Caserio? I'm not sure. That's what I meant, the "everyone reports to the owner and I go with who I like/agree with" sets itself up for competition rather than cooperation. 

52 minutes ago, mistakey said:

I’d hire Zimmer before they got the word “fired” out of their mouth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BooyaCS09 said:

Where are we getting that the coach is reporting to Depo?  The Coach the GM and Depo report directly to Haslam.  Also Depo is running the search and can his analytics team work with McD?  

I don't see what having Depo here has to do with McD coming or not.

Because there have apparently been reports that McD would not want to come with  Depodesta.

"Two NFL sources already have told me Browns effectively taking themselves out of Josh McDaniels running by putting full operations under Paul DePodesta via his LaJolla, CA, home."

Charles Robinson also was just on the radio today saying the same thing and that McD will pick his own GM and basically get rid of Depodesta.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Because there have apparently been reports that McD would not want to come with  Depodesta.

"Two NFL sources already have told me Browns effectively taking themselves out of Josh McDaniels running by putting full operations under Paul DePodesta via his LaJolla, CA, home."

Charles Robinson also was just on the radio today saying the same thing and that McD will pick his own GM and basically get rid of Depodesta.

They haven’t given full operations to DePo. NFL media are a joke. Did they listen to the press conference? He literally is doing what he was doing when he came in day one. Strategy 

36 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

It is possible but we don't know that.

28 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

They haven’t given full operations to DePo. NFL media are a joke. Did they listen to the press conference? He literally is doing what he was doing when he came in day one. Strategy 

At the same time Depodesta is a glorified consultant for Haslem and is just a guy who sits in the background who whispers in Haslems ear.

From all reports of what McD wants in terms of structure, hiring his own guys that he trusts in the FO, I highly doubt he would like a guy he didn't select or have input on being apart of the management staff. Especially considering McD is well known for being a control freak.

I think the only way Depodesta stays is if it's the Stefanski/Barry pairing. 

Edited by AkronsWitness

20 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I wonder if our reported comprehensive list will in the end be all that comprehensive

Also, I hope Stefanski (who isn't a confirmed interview yet apparently) doesn't back out for whatever reason or the Haslem's decide to back out for whatever reason. Coaching search may want to interview candidates it hasn't before taking another look at Stefanski, or it just hasn't been scheduled yet for numerous unknown reasonable reasons.

Here's the Confirmed interviews:

Confirmed Interviews (https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2020-nfl-head-coach-interview-hire-tracker-news-rumors/)

• Ravens DC Greg Roman on January 2 (Rapoport)
  • Mike McCarthy on January 2 (Rapoport)
  • 49ers DC Robert Saleh on January 4 (Rapoport)
  • Bills OC Brian Daboll on January 5 (Cleveland.com)
  • Patriots OC Josh McDaniels on January 10 (Rapoport)
  • Kansas City OC Eric Bieniemy on January 3rd (Cleveland.com)

With the Stefanski interview forthcoming it seems that we'll interview a total of 7 candidates none of which are innovative or outside of the box candidates, but instead the same group of candidates that every other coaching search is considering.

No Special Teams Coordinators and No College Coaches officially though there's been speculation regarding Urban Meyer and a few others.

I would've liked to bring in Don "Wink" Martindale, DC Ravens as much as some of the other candidates because of his mentality along with his being reported to be able to hire LSU OC Joe Brady as his OC.  

Still would've preferred a more robust and creative initial candidate pool as finding an uncommon individuals with uncommon skills and leadership often requires looking in uncommon places.

The list does tell me that the Haslam's have their eyes set and locked on a particular candidate or candidates.

Last year, Greg Wiliams was the first interview I believe and Freddie Kitchens was the Last Interview. This year it appears that Josh McDaniels is the last interview scheduled unless Stefanski's official interview date is later or around the same time. 

It could be nothing or it could be something.

Edited by Mind Character