(Polls) Finalists Set: Choose Your Preferred GM/HC Pairing

Mind Character

Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?

• GM: Dave Ziegler/Nick Caserio; HC: Josh McDaniels
    • GM: Andrew Berry; HC: Kevin Stefanski
    • GM: Eliot Wolf; HC: Mike McCarthy
  2. 2. Which Pairing will ultimately be selected by the Haslams?

3. 3. Which Pairing has the greatest chance of blowing up in an epic fashion?

6 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

Got to think interviews with McDanies happen before Friday now

Yep, thankfully, tonight's loss clears the way for a quick hiring, if he's the guy. Decent jump on hiring assistants too.

Oh, and BTW, ding dong the dynasty is dead!! :D

• Like 1

What the Browns want is for Stefanski and McDaniels' interviews to happens as close to one another as possible.

That's important because if we interview one and inform them afterwards that we plan to make a decision after all candidates are interviewed that would give them the opportunity to make the rounds to other teams and we could lose out on them if another team's coaching search team wows them or presents a better fit.

The goal is to likely not let them "leave the building" and progress things to more finalized conversations within 48-72 hours of the initial interview. 

The candidates on their own accord may also decide to wait to make their decision until after they've visited other teams, but that doesn't often happen in the NFL,

If we told McCarthy we want to wait until we interview the other candidates before making a decision and the Cowboys and him make an agreement then our hesitation to finalize an agreement with him would cost us what could've been our preferred candidate.

I hope the Vikings win, Stefanski and McDaniels interview in close proximity, and McCarthy waits to hear from the Browns on their decision. In that case, we'd know that our decision included all available options instead of having to pick from 2 or less in the group.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

@Mind Character

i think we look at Urban but I don’t think Urban will look at jobs once the Cowboys opening is official

I wish man. 

He's the perfect Culture Leader Executive Head Coach that doesn't care to be an OC or DC. He'd go out and get the best coaches in college and the pros that we could possibly get. Then he'd delegate to them and coach them up holding them accountable to a winning standard.

He'd burnout in 3 to 4 years, but during that time the Browns would likely make back to back to back playoff appearances and wins.

It's just not likely that we'd get him imo. Hope I'm wrong as I disagree with the vocal opinions that Meyer somehow couldn't coach NFL players which is just laughable.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mind Character said:

As much as New England are upheld as the greatest organization of all time, scouts know well that their 1st and 2nd round draft selections are often filled with really bad evaluations and produce nothing.

It's one thing to be excited about Josh McDaniels and another thing to be excited about bringing along their front office talents with some belief that they are going to do wonders in the draft room.

New England is all about free agents and UDFA player development and Belichick's influence.

Nick Cesario has been the de facto Assistant GM in New England since 2008

Here's the draft record: http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=3200&type=team

Again, New England has a special talent for accumulating draft capital AND THEN blowing that draft capital on draft busts. People in the scouting community laugh to themselves whenever the public lauds the Patriots draft picks. They're miss rate on found 1-3 is one of the higher miss rates in the league year in and year out.

Andrew Berry had his issues as well (drafting Carl Nassib and Emmanuel Ogbah as 34 DEs). Passed on TJ Watt, Ryan Ramczyk, and Tre'Davious White for Jabrill Peppers and David Njoku. Was on the staff in central role when Mitchell Trubisky and a trade down from 12 were valued over Deshaun Watson and possibly Patrick Mahomes, etc.

Even still, based on the draft approach and evaluation talent, I'd lean Berry over Cesario/Ziegler.

17 hours ago, Mind Character said:

There's belief with some people in the front office community around the league that Andrew Berry won't leave Philadelphia and the Eagles will be promoting him from Vice President of Football Operations to a newly formed Executive of Football Operations and Strategy position that will supersede current VP of FO & Strategy Alec Halabi.

This would likely mean that Kevin Stefanski would instead be paired with George Paton (current longtime Vikings assistant GM under Rick Spielman). He's a very respected personnel decision-maker and evaluator around the league, but he's not thought to be heavily invested in analytics depth approaches.

It seems to me that a major component of making our future front office-head coach structure work in alignment with the Analytics/Strategy departments that the Haslam's are going to have to give Andrew Berry a 5-year contract or something with serious security and investment in order to give him reasons to leave the Eagles.

I wonder if the Haslam's would be willing to make such a commitment as well as if they should do so...

I'm not worried about "missing out" on Berry. As far as I know he doesn't have history of working with Stefanski or any of our other HC candidates, so the holy grail of "Alignment" that is now everyone's hope that Haslam will finally get it right (completely ignoring the fact he's preached it in the past and got it wrong every time) has a great chance of lasting between GM and HC until exactly as long as live ordinance starts exploding around their foxholes and they start trying to save their own hides with Generalissimo Truckstop. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Offer belichick total and complete control. There’s no bigger challenge in sports than here. 

I mean, sure, make the offer, but Belichick is a smart man, so I can't see him accepting. Leave a place where he already has complete control, unprecedented success, stability, and works for one of the best owners in the league, or jump ship to an organization he got let go from once already and which is in shambles every 1.5 to 2 years because of an owner with the patience of a ferret on Ritalin and the long term strategy of a kamikaze pilot? Why would he want the headache?

Edited by dawgdish
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

I mean, sure, make the offer, but Belichick is a smart man, so I can't see him accepting. Leave a place where he already has complete control, unprecedented success, stability, and works for one of the best owners in the league, or jump ship to an organization he got let go from once already and which is in shambles every 1.5 to 2 years because of an owner with the patience of a ferret on Ritalin and the long term strategy of a kamikaze pilot? Why would he want the headache?

The second to last line in this post might be the greatest thing I have ever read on this forum. Ever. What a great analogy. You boiled our situation down to perfection. For that sir, I tip my cap to you.

https://giphy.com/gifs/patriots-tom-brady-gopats-go-pats-H1T7Rvi1lGbZPNJ6Bd