(Polls) Finalists Set: Choose Your Preferred GM/HC Pairing

Mind Character

Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?

• GM: Dave Ziegler/Nick Caserio; HC: Josh McDaniels
    • GM: Andrew Berry; HC: Kevin Stefanski
    • GM: Eliot Wolf; HC: Mike McCarthy
  2. 2. Which Pairing will ultimately be selected by the Haslams?

3. 3. Which Pairing has the greatest chance of blowing up in an epic fashion?

One thing that the Shanahan offense does have to offer is that they put players in positions to succeed, they can lead from this, a respect for their intelligence, and ability to make people succeed.  Rather than being authoritative.

Thomas and Hawkins liked Hue, but they loved Shanahan, they believed the best about themselves  under him. Hawk had a career year hitting nearly 1k yards, with the ball being thrown by hoyer.

Imagine what baker to obj could do in the same offense.

Edited by Kiwibrown

44 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Which if any other owners do it this way?

The Steelers. 

Colbert and Tomlin both report to ownership.

That's where Jimmy gets his affinity for that structure from.

But there's a difference between the Browns city environment, the Rooney's and their ownership group and the Haslam's, as well as a difference between Colbert/Tomlin and the people we've hired:

1.) The toxicity, negativity, and systematic losing surrounding the Browns causes ownership to ask loaded questions to the GM and Coach that imply that their needs to be attribution of blame and major plan of change implemented. Joe Banner and Lombardi have talked about this in the past. The GM and Coach know if they're being asked such questions separately then the other guy could be throwing him under the bus. In times of high stress and adversity, it's the perfect environment for power grabs and political in-fighting.

2.) The Haslam's are always asking people around the Coach and GM about what is wrong and what should change in-season. This info gets back to the GM and Coach and can grease the wheels for political in-fighting. Mike Pettine talked about the chaos it creates and how the info gets back to even assistant coaches and support staff.

3.) Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin made a deal that if they go down then they're going down together. They are old-school and keep Ownership on a need-to-know basis without being deceptive.

The Seahawks also have this setup.

Edited by Mind Character

I wonder if our reported comprehensive list will in the end be all that comprehensive

Also, I hope Stefanski (who isn't a confirmed interview yet apparently) doesn't back out for whatever reason or the Haslem's decide to back out for whatever reason. Coaching search may want to interview candidates it hasn't before taking another look at Stefanski, or it just hasn't been scheduled yet for numerous unknown reasonable reasons.

Here's the Confirmed interviews:

Confirmed Interviews (https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2020-nfl-head-coach-interview-hire-tracker-news-rumors/)

• Ravens DC Greg Roman on January 2 (Rapoport)
  • Mike McCarthy on January 2 (Rapoport)
  • 49ers DC Robert Saleh on January 4 (Rapoport)
  • Bills OC Brian Daboll on January 5 (Cleveland.com)
  • Patriots OC Josh McDaniels on January 10 (Rapoport)

-------

We heard that potentially Dennis Allen, Matt La Fleur, Mike McDaniel, and Eric Bieniemy were likely candidates as well but no interview has been confirmed as of yet.

Serious question and I’m not being a jerk:

After today’s press conference and subsequent announcement that the coach will be hired by Jimmy first and then the GM, and that neither will report to the other and both will report directly to him, obviously triggering an ego power struggle and blatant manipulation, is anyone optimistic and does who we hire even matter at this point?

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

After today’s press conference and subsequent announcement that the coach will be hired by Jimmy first and then the GM, and that neither will report to the other and both will report directly to him, obviously triggering an ego power struggle and blatant manipulation, is anyone optimistic and does who we hire even matter at this point?

Another serious question: Who would want either job under those circumstances?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm not being pessimistic but nothing haslam does gives me any confidence.  I do give credit tho removing individuals if its clear its not going to work. But he will again be involved and have his hands on too much and prolly mess it up.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@ditchdigger @LETSGOBROWNIES @mistakey @NateDawg @freakygeniuskid any thoughts? Serious question. I almost started a new thread.

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@ditchdigger @LETSGOBROWNIES @mistakey @NateDawg @freakygeniuskid any thoughts? Serious question. I almost started a new thread.

I mean, if the new guys come in and win right away then there’s a chance they’ll be ok.

Unless they have immediate success, no, I don’t expect anything to change.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Does what we think matter? Probably not. Law of averages says even this clown gets lucky and hires a winner at some point. 

Despite haslam having final say, Depo running the search and them obviously having high confidence in him gives me some hope. 

None of the 3 front runners we r linked too scare me and none feel like overly crazy decisions.  I still think that while Dorsey made some huge errors, this team has a ton of talent and we very seriously could make the playoffs this year with new Tackles. 

I HAVE to believe after so many short leashes, this next group will have time because they are finally making sure coach and GM are on the same page. I really dont care what order they r hired In or that they don't report to each other. 

Edited by nugpimpen
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Nope. Until that clown loses ownership of the team, I can't be all that optimistic until proven otherwise.

But then again, once week one comes around, I'll be pumped as hell for the Browns. And by midway through the first quarter I'll want to drown my sorrows in alcohol. And it'll be rinse and repeat every year after that.

I will say that a Stefanski/Barry/DePodesto trio will give me some reason to be optimistic as I think they'd be on the same page. But I'd be afraid Jimmy will blow it all up again if he doesn't get immediate results.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Everyone’s gonna be miserable no matter what

rhere is literally nothing they can do in one week to make anyone happy except buno 

I am letting it go- what other choice do I have? Compare them to nazis ?

7 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Everyone’s gonna be miserable no matter what

rhere is literally nothing they can do in one week to make anyone happy except buno 

I am letting it go- what other choice do I have? Compare them to nazis ?

Being overly negative and embracing the fact that I’m already dead is helping me cope.

• Like 1