Scott Turner named new OC

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It's execution sure, but you also have to call the correct plays, and correctly gameplan for the opposing team.  As you well know, a team could have a 500 page playbook but they are prepared to run only a fraction of those play calls each game, and that gameplan is built off what the other team likes to do and their strengths and weaknesses.  The offensive coordinator has to design the gameplan to correctly target those.  They also design the offense around the talent for the year, and should put them in the best position to succeed.  I italicized should because we all know some coaches don't do that and expect the players to fit their system.  

Yes, but let’s just take Mike/Kyle & Jay/Sean for example. They developed perfect passing plays or even running plays which schemed players wide open in the passing game or should’ve led to big runs all this past decade but how many times did one of our QBs drop back and the receivers not get open, or one of our QBs miss something downfield or the QB take off an run instead of letting the play develop or the blocking not hold up/ running backs miss the hole? (Here’s looking at you Matt MCCloughan)

Hundreds of time. The development of the playbook and scheming players open or developing a great run game matters hugely but if the players make mistakes, the plays done work and a lot of people will blame playcalling but it’s really the lack of execution on that play as to why it didn’t work.

I mean I’m it really doesn’t matter, but I’m still not happy that the Shanahan’s didn’t cater their offense more to McNabb’s strengths from what he did well in Phila vs how they tried to put a square peg into a round hole in 2010 and the went with Grossman over McNabb in 2011 which was an embarrassment.

Also, how Gruden didn’t tailor his offense more towards RG3 in 2014. It probably wouldn’t have mattered in the end, but not really running any zone read w/ him for a QB who you knew needed it and w/ a running back who feasted off of it too in Alfred Morris as a rookie as well is damn near criminal to me.

Coaches being too stubborn and not putting their players in the best positions to succeed is one of my biggest gripes. I guess you could say the same of Shanahan forcing the Redskins into the 3-4 in 2010 and then for some reason he nor Gruden never tried to go back to 4-3 all decade despite us only being top 15 once in the 3-4 in 2011. I was in favor of the switch to the 3-4, but when it wasn’t delivering a top 10 D, someone should’ve had the balls to switch back to the 4-3. We had already lost a double digit sack guy in Andre Carter who went on to have one more w/ the Pats after leaving us bc we switched to the 3-4.  

Edited by turtle28

This may be the biggest question mark that either propels or destroys the Rivera era. If it was me- I would want someone who has had success in a OC coordinator position and there are a few of them out there. Rivera is gambling  on Turner. His other coaching hires have been very solid. 

Edited by Doc Draper
  • Like 1

In what world was KOC a "great coordinator" we let go? When Gruden left this offense was offensive to watch, it was garbage football game in and game out. Why are we ignoring that KOC was championing the offense this year because the last two games (against bad teams) Haskins looked really good? Turner and KOC are essentially interchangeable. Young Coordinators who haven't had a lot of time to prove anything, Rivera is just gambling on the devil he knows a bit better than the one he doesn't.

Like...you'd think we just gave up Eric Bieniemy.

• Like 1

I don’t hate the Turner hire. I believe OConnell wanted a new shot. OConnell called good games as the players who can impact games got comfortable and until they went down. I think that was expected. Turner will atleast hopefully have a healthy unit to start next season. I must say I’d sit guice all preseason. I hope he can get past this injury bug. This fan base deserves to see healthy seasons from its best players.

50 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I don’t hate the Turner hire. I believe OConnell wanted a new shot. OConnell called good games as the players who can impact games got comfortable and until they went down. I think that was expected. Turner will atleast hopefully have a healthy unit to start next season. I must say I’d sit guice all preseason. I hope he can get past this injury bug. This fan base deserves to see healthy seasons from its best players.

One thing I think with Turner is our offense will be more running back centered then it was last year and under Jay except for the 4 or 5 games that Callahan ran the offense before handing it fully over to O’Connell - one of which was vs Carolina and Rivera where we had 248 rushing yards.

As much as I want to see Haskins throw for 300 yards a game next year to Scary Terry, S.Simms, Jr, Harmon and a new TE, I'm sure excited to see our offense go back to how it was under the Shanahan’s, Gibbs, Marty, Norv & even Zorn when it was running back centric.

If we are rushing for 150 ypg w/ AD & Guice it will open up the passing offense for Haskins & the young WRs and our new TE. 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

One thing I think with Turner is our offense will be more running back centered then it was last year and under Jay except for the 4 or 5 games that Callahan ran the offense before handing it fully over to O’Connell - one of which was vs Carolina and Rivera where we had 248 rushing yards.

As much as I want to see Haskins throw for 300 yards a game next year to Scary Terry, S.Simms, Jr, Harmon and a new TE, I'm sure excited to see our offense go back to how it was under the Shanahan’s, Gibbs, Marty, Norv & even Zorn when it was running back centric.

If we are rushing for 150 ypg w/ AD & Guice it will open up the passing offense for Haskins & the young WRs and our new TE. 

I agree. I think that the backs here was something that attracted RR here. He got to see this defense and this offense show up together. I think Haskins is going to shine. He has a lot to work on this year. But I can see him improving. I believe when you don’t have the instant success it seems to really help that player to have that second year leap!!!! That is always the most important too me. I think we’ve seen a lot of guys have a great first year and by year 3 their a similar player to what they were early on. Where it seems like the ones who have those lows then some good they seem to make the most leap from year one by year 3 they seem to have a better grasp. 
 That said it’s mainlu on Haskins and the coaches!!! He can be great IMO but it’s on him to work his tail off this offseason and moving forward

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Where would you rather be OC- The Rams or Redskins. Congrats to a O’Connell and I’m hoping turner is a young norvell 

Not a hard choice. But do you like the potential going forward with Goff or Haskins? If Gurley keeps regressing they could be in real trouble. They simplified success by feeding their best player!!! Hopefully they get back to creating ways to get him going again

Not saying this is a more attractive spot at all!!!!!! But there is a glimmer of hope that if we run this unit like competent coaches should with a Chase Young addition that is; we could have a defense that gives our offense extra chances to produce and get after QB’s chasing a lead.

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Where would you rather be OC- The Rams or Redskins. Congrats to a O’Connell and I’m hoping turner is a young norvell 

I don't know TBH. Goff took a step back last w/o having a great running game to help him and Gurley’s knee is a chronic injury so now his contract is an albatross on the team.