Scott Turner named new OC

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I just can’t believe that Norv would let his son work for Dan Snyder, but I guess at this point in his life Norv is going to let his son make his own decisions and this shows that Norv trusts and likes Rivera.

Norv seems to be the lesser significant of the family, where Scott would be able to tell his dad to F off and he is goingg to do what he wants. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

This is starting to reek of when all the Tampa guys got fired and relocated to Washington.

I said that when the hire went down.  That was the beef of many Panthers fans including some who gave me a heads up on it- Rivera solely hiring from his pool of guys.  

The thing is, with as long as he's been in the NFL, he should be beyond the point where he has to bring in "his guys."  He should have a knowledge base of assistants around the league, and should be at ease incorporating new designs and concepts.  Instead, this is looking like the opposite, that he's stuck in "his system" and "his ways" and there's a ceiling to that if you can't move beyond it.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I said that when the hire went down.  That was the beef of many Panthers fans including some who gave me a heads up on it- Rivera solely hiring from his pool of guys.  

The thing is, with as long as he's been in the NFL, he should be beyond the point where he has to bring in "his guys."  He should have a knowledge base of assistants around the league, and should be at ease incorporating new designs and concepts.  Instead, this is looking like the opposite, that he's stuck in "his system" and "his ways" and there's a ceiling to that if you can't move beyond it.  

I mean, the most important hire he's made so far was Jack Del Rio, who has never worked on his staff. 

It's typical for new HC's to hire guys they can trust:

• Guys they know are good teachers within the framework of the HC's vision
  • Guys they know have a great work ethic
  • Guys they know won't leak stuff to the media when times get rough

These are all things that you may hear about guys through word of mouth, but unless you actually know them, you can't be sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I agree with you on this. 

On the bright side, if Scott’s offense resembles his dad’s, that Air Coryell scheme is a pretty good fit for Haskins and the skill players we have here. I was a little concerned about the idea of going back to a pure WCO with somebody like Shurmur — Haskins’s greatest gift is the ability to drive the ball down the field on a line, you’re neutering him if you try to make him a short, precision passer. 

If they do go with that type of scheme, they really need to make some investments on the offense. The OL is critical, so they’ll likely need to commit heavily to keeping Trent, Scherff, and Flowers all in place. Norv always succeeded with a great receiving TE — Novacek, Gates, even Stephen Alexander/Larry Centers combo here, though Centers was obviously technically a FB, he had obvious H-Back abilities — so I think we’d be pointed right back towards someone like Hooper or Henry in FA. And, interestingly enough, I think I’d keep Paul Richardson in this scheme. Harmon has the size that Norv would have preferred in an outside receiver, but not the speed. Richardson would give you a different dimension as a complement to Harmon opposite of McLaurin. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That’s not true. O’Connell and Callahan used Gruden’s playbook.

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, ignore that part lol.

I think they’re referring to the system he ran at Ohio State, which is probably why they specified “3 years.”

I think it’s a pretty silly comment. Everyone has two different systems in two years when they come from college, and surely it’s not that rare for a rookie QB to get a new OC after his first year. 

• Like 1

Just now, e16bball said:

I think they’re referring to the system he ran at Ohio State, which is probably why they specified “3 years.”

I think it’s a pretty silly comment. Everyone has two different systems in two years when they come from college, and surely it’s not that rare for a rookie QB to get a new OC after his first year. 

It’s a dumb comments and just shows how desperate people are to have something new to say on social media. 

Eveey QB goes to a new system in the pros. And many have a 2nd system to learn by their 2nd or 3rd years bc they are going to a team w/ a coach on the hot seat and a team that isn’t winning.