Are You Comfortable with the RB Position?

CWood21

16 minutes ago, jleisher said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if TT doesn't see a good veteran player cut loose and brings him in as SFA.  Just a gut feeling, same at OLB.

Anyone know any decent guys at either spot on the bubble??

On 8/15/2017 at 8:17 PM, CentralFC said:

I just see Williams being more reliable on a down to down basis, and that might mean he earns a few more series than Monty as the primary back. 

I also see Monty being available for a more specialized receiving role, to reduce his wear/tear on inside carries, and to create more mismatches v. opposing defenses. Be it from the slot, as a receiving option from the backfield, or as a running option out of the shotgun. 

The more carries for Williams, the more productivity we'll see from Monty.

This is pretty much how I see it as well.  I don't think it will take very long for Williams to be viewed as RB1A with Monty as 1B.  Using Monty in a specialized role has always made the most sense.

On 8/19/2017 at 7:24 AM, Mazrimiv said:

This is pretty much how I see it as well.  I don't think it will take very long for Williams to be viewed as RB1A with Monty as 1B.  Using Monty in a specialized role has always made the most sense.

I have seen nothing exciting from Williams.   He does nothing extremely well, yet nothing terrible.  He doesn’t have speed to break away, he doesn’t have the strength to break tackles.   His vision seems poor and his hands aren’t that great.  I think Jones and Mays are better backs than him because they are very good at parts of their games.   I think Jones is the best back on the roster when you add up all the intangibles and Mays is a punisher.  

1 hour ago, Pad Level said:

I have seen nothing exciting from Williams.   He does nothing extremely well, yet nothing terrible.  He doesn’t have speed to break away, he doesn’t have the strength to break tackles.   His vision seems poor and his hands aren’t that great.  I think Jones and Mays are better backs than him because they are very good at parts of their games.   I think Jones is the best back on the roster when you add up all the intangibles and Mays is a punisher.  

I don't know where you are getting that he can't break tackles.  He's got plenty of power also he's got great balance which is a huge part of breaking tackles, it's not just pure strength.  Watch some Marshawn Lynch highlights sometime, he's not just straight muscling people his balance is unreal.  Williams is certainly no burner but he can maintain his speed through his cuts which is huge.  I think the big exciting plays get overrated some I mean the most runs any player had last year over 40 yards is 4 and only 7 players had at least 3.  Those are nice plays when they happen but they aren't plays that teams are going into games counting on.  Give me guys who are going to churn out consistent yards and I'll have a good running game.

10 minutes ago, Stevein2012 said:

I don't know where you are getting that he can't break tackles.  He's got plenty of power also he's got great balance which is a huge part of breaking tackles, it's not just pure strength.  Watch some Marshawn Lynch highlights sometime, he's not just straight muscling people his balance is unreal.  Williams is certainly no burner but he can maintain his speed through his cuts which is huge.  I think the big exciting plays get overrated some I mean the most runs any player had last year over 40 yards is 4 and only 7 players had at least 3.  Those are nice plays when they happen but they aren't plays that teams are going into games counting on.  Give me guys who are going to churn out consistent yards and I'll have a good running game.

Williams is nothing like Lynch.  Lynch runs angry and is on another level.  I stand by my analysis that Jones is by far the better back and its not even close. It will all shake out in the end. 

29 minutes ago, Pad Level said:

Williams is nothing like Lynch.  Lynch runs angry and is on another level.  I stand by my analysis that Jones is by far the better back and its not even close. It will all shake out in the end. 

My god I wasn't comparing him to Lynch.  I was using Lynch as an example of tackle breaking being more than strength.

I've seen nothing out of Williams to get me excited.  He runs tall, he's not fast, nor is he quick.  About the best compliment I can give him is that he is decisive.

Jones? I still like the quickness and agility there.  And I think he has more speed.  He doesn't "excite" me, but he's also the one that I'm less down on.

Mays?  Yuck.  So far, but his o-line has been terrible.

Monty?  He's going to be the man, but I don't think he is a bellcow back and GB probably doesn't need him to be.  

Still I don't think our long term answer to RB is on the roster.

DeAngelo Williams still out there?  He may be better than anything else we have right now, excluding Monty.  Could be a good compliment.

Just now, vegas492 said:

DeAngelo Williams still out there?  He may be better than anything else we have right now, excluding Monty.  Could be a good compliment.

If we're bringing in veteran help, it's going to be at pass rusher. 

Just now, vegas492 said:

Any reason they shouldn't look for both?

I"m on board with the vet pass rusher, too.

Yes, there's plenty of reason they shouldn't look for both.  If a veteran running back is cut or available at this point after being on a team last year, chances are they don't have much left.  Especially when the whole team loves them. 

Also, we might not be fantastic at RB now, but the more experience and opportunity guys like Williams, Jones and Mays get this year, the better we'll be at the position in the future. 

After all, James Starks didn't set the world on fire all throughout his first regular season, Ryan Grant didn't set the world on fire his rookie year with the Giants, and he had a total of 27 rushing yards in his first six games with us.  Then what did he do?  Oh, he just averaged 93 yards rushing in the final nine regular season games and had a 201 yard, 3 touchdown performance against the Seahawks in the playoffs his first year in Green Bay.

Nobody in New York saw that coming, or else they wouldn't have traded him to us.  Nobody here saw that coming or else we would have played him since the beginning of the year.  My point?  You are approximately 10 times more likely to find a spark at a young RB that you didn't expect to get a spark from than a pass rusher.  Signing a veteran pass rusher won't stunt the development of Fackrell because Fackrell isn't going to develop, but signing a veteran RB to take snaps away from one of our three rookies might keep them from something they would otherwise be capable of. 

No offense to you or to anybody else here, but your opinions and outlook of the RB position don't mean a thing.  Unless you can point to one single person who predicted Ryan Grant would do what he did or Alfred Morris would do what he did for the Redskins in his first year or Jonathan Franklin tearing up the Bengals for 100 + yards before he got hurt or James Starks being capable of doing what he did for us in the playoffs of 2010, opinions of that position mean nothing right now. 

It's probably one of if not the most likely position in the NFL to go from nothing to pro bowl out of the blue. 

When was the last time we had a pass rusher come out of nowhere for the Packers specifically?  I think it had to be either Aaron Kampman or Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila or both, but both of them were over a decade ago.  We have two examples (three if not for injury) of late round or undrafted running backs taking the spot and running with it.  Four if you consider Montgomery started last year as a receiver. 

And that's not just the Packers. 

Terrell Davis was a sixth round pick.  Arian Foster, Lagarette Blount, Priest Holmes, Fred Jackson, Benjarvis Green-Ellis, Pierre Thomas...

I think the reason is that if a running back buys into everything and the offensive line blocks right, any running back could have a 1,000 yard season at any time.  That's not the same at receiver or pass rusher or any other position in the NFL. 

I think we'd all feel a lot better if Montgomery could remind us of some of what he showed last season.  He looked pretty good down the stretch.  I worry about his sickle cell issues .. hate to have a player that you can't count on.  I'm not sure any of the backups are special at all.  I don't think we want those guys starting games for us.

I get your points, Horizon.  Veteran pass rusher vs. running back.  True about finding gems in the rough at RB versus the pass rusher.

I look at the RB as a personal protector of the QB.  And all of our RBs are not very good at that right now.  I think they will all run okay behind the #1 line and without extra guys in the box.  But, when the chips are down, I don't trust any of them (except Rip) to protect #12...and he is the franchise.

You can scheme sacks.  Blitz, overload, whatever.  A veteran pass rusher doesn't protect the franchise QB.

I'd like another one, just like I'd like a better backup running back.  

In the end, I'm guessing that the backup RB position will be just like the backup OLB position.  Thin.

Archived