Are You Comfortable with the RB Position?

CWood21

17 hours ago, CWood21 said:

For the record, I think the biggest question regarding Williams wasn't whether or not he was capable of catching the ball out of the backfield.  I know when I evaluated him, he wasn't really utilized as a receiver, especially in the quantity that he will be used in Green bay.

Yep, very much an issue of opportunity as opposed to inability

20 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I haven't seen/heard someone mess up bad on a blitz yet, think they can all handle pass pro.

Well Ty struggled mightily with it last season.

The Vikings were running cross dogs blitzes at a much higher clip when he was on the field. But with a year in the weight room as a RB (along with more experience) it would make sense that he would improve.

And I'm not saying the rookies can't but its not a skill utilized much on college teams (BYU might be different, haven't seen much of them), and I'd like to see them do it in a real game before I'm truly comfortable.

Just saying we all know Rip can pass block and that puts my mind at ease

5 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Well Ty struggled mightily with it last season.

The Vikings were running cross dogs blitzes at a much higher clip when he was on the field. But with a year in the weight room as a RB (along with more experience) it would make sense that he would improve.

And I'm not saying the rookies can't but its not a skill utilized much on college teams (BYU might be different, haven't seen much of them), and I'd like to see them do it in a real game before I'm truly comfortable.

Just saying we all know Rip can pass block and that puts my mind at ease

Last season Ty was thrown in the fire after training as a WR. I think that was more him overthinking or missing assignments from what I saw. He had to learn a new position mid season on the fly.

And we aren't talking about college. So far, 3 preseason games, the RB group has shown willingness and ability. Of course we need to see more, but we've seen enough to not need to worry about it.

10 hours ago, spilltray said:

Last season Ty was thrown in the fire after training as a WR. I think that was more him overthinking or missing assignments from what I saw. He had to learn a new position mid season on the fly.

And we aren't talking about college. So far, 3 preseason games, the RB group has shown willingness and ability. Of course we need to see more, but we've seen enough to not need to worry about it.

I'd say I mostly agree with you but it's not like Preseason is necessarily an effective measuring stick. Teams are not game planning.

We saw last year that teams were game planning their pressure packages in order to get Ty matched up on a LB. It was a match-up on film that they liked, and generally successfully exploited.

If Ty, or any of the other RBs, continues to struggle we will definitely see it again.

But as I said with Rip I am much more comfortable

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just gonna urge patience on making any assumptions on any RBs until we're watching them in a game where our second string OL isn't dominating a 3rd string DL. Everybody was running through great holes last night. Everybody looks good when they've got that kind of blocking.

Pre-season rock stars. Like Lumpy and all the other ones before.

6 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just gonna urge patience on making any assumptions on any RBs until we're watching them in a game where our second string OL isn't dominating a 3rd string DL. Everybody was running through great holes last night. Everybody looks good when they've got that kind of blocking.

I get that.  I just think that Jones is the perfect back for this team.  Needs a bit of work with the blocking but his skill is superior to the others and it's not close.

7 minutes ago, Pad Level said:

I get that.  I just think that Jones is the perfect back for this team.  Needs a bit of work with the blocking but his skill is superior to the others and it's not close.

Eh home run hitters like Jones tend to look flashier in preseason. Teams don't tend to be technically sound with all of the players coming in and out so big plays can happen more readily. 

Archived