Are You Comfortable with the RB Position?

CWood21

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

You mean the year Grant got injured vs Philly?  Deshawn Wynn and Kuhn closing out games vs NYG and Detroit?

Agree that Mac doesn't like switching backs up during a drive since it messes with flow, and doesn't like backs who overly limit play selection.  Williams will be the better runner, but Monty is a good player and probably better overall guy you want on the field since he's basically option 3/4 at receiver and can really make the defense play a certain way.

I want to say it was the 2007 season, but I honestly can't remember.  It's been a while.  I just remember we were pretty much using street FA to manufacture a running game, and it was abysmal.

To me, Jamaal Williams is the most natural of runners but he's also probably the worst in terms of pass protection from what I've gathered and has the least experience catching balls out of the backfield.  Ty Montgomery to me is probably the opposite in that I'm not sure I trust him as a workhorse back, but he's more capable of being a threat out of the backfield and his pass pro is much improved from when he first took over.  Aaron Jones to me is Tony Fisher all over again, a quality 3rd down back but nothing more.  Don't really have a feel on Mays really.

Aaron Jones is a freak athlete at least.  He's more of the Jonathan Franklin type we've been avoiding, and his hands are just magical.  No more Starks dropped screens.

I'm not worried about Williams, tbh.  The offense will be very different with him in there and revolve more around PA and shot plays with check downs to TEs.  I also really like WIlliams as the inside the 5 back.  Monty is nice in the RZ outside of the 5 yard line.

To me, the Williams package is 12 personnel with Bennett in line, and either Rodgers split out or another blocking TE. Williams doesn't mesh well with Cobb IMO, who is a very weak blocker and lines up in a spot that needs to block.  Maybe Williams can also work with Ripkowski?  Would love to see us steal some things from Atlanta's playbook where they isolate the FB to make defense declare the coverage.

2 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Thinking of how we ended the year, Ripkowski may get more carries than some expect. 

I don't see them giving Rip more carries, probably less carries.  IF Rip is getting more carries, things have gone horribly wrong.  Rip is our 3rd and short back at least right now.

22 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Just saying Rip is more than a lead blocker. He's effective toting the rock. If the look is right he's gonna be able to break a tackle and if that gets him to the third level he's going to go for a bit.

I think the point I was trying to get at is that I don't think we really want him to be more than a 3rd and short back.  If you're handing him more than a handful of touches, it means the rest of the RBs are ineffective.  And that doesn't bode well for our running game.  Yes, he's more than a lead blocker but that doesn't mean that he's our best option moving forward.

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I don't see them giving Rip more carries, probably less carries.  IF Rip is getting more carries, things have gone horribly wrong.  Rip is our 3rd and short back at least right now.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Rip is miles better then the next best pass protector we have in the backfield. Like Charisma said, Rip could definitely get some carries out of those 3 WR 1 TE sets. And we all know how MM loves the 3rd and 1 FB dive. Regardless, I am excited for the added speed we have in the backfield with Jones. Speed is something this offense has been lacking for years and if Trevor Davis is progressing like they are reporting, that issue may be solved sooner than later. 

Read somewhere Jamaal Williams had the worst (or among the worst) created yards per attempt of the drafted running backs in the 2017 class. I'm interested to see how his vision translates to the pro game given the chatter around him being "pro ready."

20 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

In this case I think it's good vision, understands zone blocking, doesn't leave a lot on the table.  Also code for not an elite athlete for the position.

Second this, particularly for RBs. Nice summary.

On 7/20/2017 at 10:17 PM, skibrett15 said:

In this case I think it's good vision, understands zone blocking, doesn't leave a lot on the table.  Also code for not an elite athlete for the position.

As long as the RBs are hitting the hole in a timely manner, I don't think we need anything special at the position.  And definitely don't need an elite back.  We just need one that consistently creates YAC.

20 hours ago, CWood21 said:

As long as the RBs are hitting the hole in a timely manner, I don't think we need anything special at the position.  And definitely don't need an elite back.  We just need one that consistently creates YAC.

Do we have one of those guys on the roster right now? I like Williams, but it kind of concerns me that he may have a case of the Starks Shimmies and do a little too much east to west

Archived