Are You Comfortable with the RB Position?

CWood21

28 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Fair point but Monty is a pretty big dude.  Using Bell as a comparison, Monty is 9 lbs lighter and an inch shorter.  Bell had 336 touches in 12 games last year.  He already has 65 touches this year.  I think 300 touches is about perfect for a number 1 RB.  Just need the production to be a little better.  

Difference in being big in size vs knowing how to take hits without feeling the full impact of it.   Monty is relearning how to be an RB.

Bell was also bigger in college...237#.

Very used to taking hits.

I have to believe MM understands that Monty can't keep this snap/touch rate up all season.  I just hope that Jones gets a legit shot at RB2 rather than just defaulting to Williams because of his draft position.  Jones looked like the only rookie with any real burst in pre-season.

51 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I have to believe MM understands that Monty can't keep this snap/touch rate up all season.  I just hope that Jones gets a legit shot at RB2 rather than just defaulting to Williams because of his draft position.  Jones looked like the only rookie with any real burst in pre-season.

The problem is Williams is the only one that can block.

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Monty's poor blocking hasn't stopped MM from riding him exclusively, so I don't really know how much stock MM is putting the RB blocking at this point.  I'm not even sure how Jones could be significantly worse than Monty as a blocker.

It's just the overall skillset. 

Monty's edge as a receiver is huge. 

Williams' edge as a blocker is significant.

If Jones/Mays have an edge anywhere, it's as a runner, and the edge isn't big if it's even there.

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's just the overall skillset. 

Monty's edge as a receiver is huge. 

Williams' edge as a blocker is significant.

If Jones/Mays have an edge anywhere, it's as a runner, and the edge isn't big if it's even there.

So when Rodgers is your QB, you have to lean slightly in the way of the best blocking RB, right?

22 minutes ago, PackyAttacky said:

So when Rodgers is your QB, you have to lean slightly in the way of the best blocking RB, right?

Monty is the best overall player and has a skill set that theoretically fits the best.

Williams is probably the most traditional fit.

The other kids are just kind of bodies at this point.

In truth, I'm not overly concerned about who Monty splits the RB reps with. I just want to see some kind of normal timeshare at the position rather than Monty taking on such a heavy workload.  Monty will be a wreck in December if this current workload continues throughout the season.

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Monty is the best overall player and has a skill set that theoretically fits the best.

Williams is probably the most traditional fit.

The other kids are just kind of bodies at this point.

Jones is who we thought he was.

#DennisGreenFace

I'd like to get in the Jones for HOF bandwagon if there's any room left. I thought Williams would be the one but he displayed an uncanny ability to run into the highest body count possible, so I'm kinda losing faith.

I don't think MM is one to be swayed by single games if he doesn't see what he wants to see during practice, so if Monty / Williams are healthy next week I don't expect Jones to play a lot.

Just now, Packer_ESP said:

I'd like to get in the Jones for HOF bandwagon if there's any room left. I thought Williams would be the one but he displayed an uncanny ability to run into the highest body count possible, so I'm kinda losing faith.

I don't think MM is one to be swayed by single games if he doesn't see what he wants to see during practice, so if Monty / Williams are healthy next week I don't expect Jones to play a lot.

Disagree.

In the mm presser, he said he found out a lot about our young guys.

Guessing Jones showed mm that hes a gamer

1 minute ago, Packer_ESP said:

an uncanny ability to run into the highest body count possible

Reminds me of Andre Williams a bit if that's the case.  You could've sworn Andre was told to run TOWARDS the defenders rather than away from them.  Kind of the worst version of Marion Barber.

Just now, MathMan said:

Disagree.

In the mm presser, he said he found out a lot about our young guys.

Guessing Jones showed mm that hes a gamer

Yeah just read that in the other thread, hopefully you're right. We need to go with the hottest hand, and that is Jones right now

Hopefully Jones gets a little more patient. He started out great by turning the inside run to the right side of the line and busting it outside but after that I thought he may have been a little too aggressive in just pushing forward. He has that sudden stop/start that I really love in a RB that Williams and Montgomery seem to lack. 

Archived