Are You Comfortable with the RB Position?

CWood21

4 minutes ago, CentralFC said:

Williams? That's weird, I thought he was purely north-south style. Not a lot of dancing, kind of your hit the hole and go type.

:ph34r: welp. looking back at tape, he is definitely more of a north south guy. I don't know what I was recalling, but he is definitely patient back there.

Yeah I like to think he'll be a nice complement to Monty, but I worry if he can create at the next level (i.e., at the second level, making a guy miss to create yards at the LOS, etc.). He's not running through Dallas' OL.

Training camp will be one hell of a battle between that quartet. 

2 hours ago, CentralFC said:

Williams? That's weird, I thought he was purely north-south style. Not a lot of dancing, kind of your hit the hole and go type.

He made some defenders miss, but I wouldn't say he's overly elusive.

Heard Ladainian Tomlinson picked Monty as a breakout RB--1000 yards, 500 more receiving, and 15 TDs. Can't say I see the 15 TDs but I see Monty as that guy that doesn't break any huge games but by the end of the year you look at his stats and he's got 1500 all purpose yards of offense and he's been a consistent performer.

4 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Heard Ladainian Tomlinson picked Monty as a breakout RB--1000 yards, 500 more receiving, and 15 TDs. Can't say I see the 15 TDs but I see Monty as that guy that doesn't break any huge games but by the end of the year you look at his stats and he's got 1500 all purpose yards of offense and he's been a consistent performer.

That's probably a bit lofty expectations, I don't think they plan on making him a bell cow kind of RB.  I'd imagine that they're going to get Ty Montgomery with ~15 rushing attempts per game, Jamaal Williams with 5-10 attempts, and then Rip/Jones with ~5 attempts.

15 rushing attempts per game will get him over 1,000 yards. if he has 240 carries this year he'll be the Non-Rodgers offensive MVP. I was thinking he'd get 180 carries and another 50 catches to break 1500 yards. That receiving ability is going to break some teams' backs; great coverage downfield, dump off to Monty, linebacker misses, aaaannnd clutch first down. 

14 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

15 rushing attempts per game will get him over 1,000 yards. if he has 240 carries this year he'll be the Non-Rodgers offensive MVP. I was thinking he'd get 180 carries and another 50 catches to break 1500 yards. That receiving ability is going to break some teams' backs; great coverage downfield, dump off to Monty, linebacker misses, aaaannnd clutch first down. 

That's 240 attempts if my math is correct, which means he'd need to average 4.2 YPC which isn't a crazy amount.  But like you mentioned, it's his versatility that creates so many issues.  If he can be productive in terms of pass protection, I'm not sure there's many personnel formations that we can't utilize with him in the backfield.

The more I read and think about Monty, the more excited I am about him getting a full season at RB. I think there's a lot he can bring in terms of versatility that we've been missing in a feature back. Do we need to be concerned about his sickle-cell trait limiting his usage/health though? His availability is what concerns me the most. The nice thing about having the 3 rookies though is I feel like there's a pretty high probability that at least one will give us something decent. Plus, worst case scenario - Monty is injured and all of the rookies are bad - we throw Cobb back there and use the short passing game as our run game like in years past and supplement that with Rip when we need a traditional look (can put Kendricks at H-back if you still want 2 guys back there).

8 minutes ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

Ty is clearly our player to watch this season.  I feel like we're either going to see him explode or he's going to struggle to stay healthy.  Definitely one of our more exciting players.

From MM's presser today

on Rookie running backs – what are you looking for: “The first job responsibility is you want your running backs to be three-down players.” Wants the no-huddle element. “That’s the way you want to play and that’s always been the focus and that’s the way you train.” So, third-down ability is vital. Then, it comes down to play-calling to take advantage of players’ strengths.

It will be interesting to see how much and how GB subs RBs in the regular season. In years past, they subbed by series, not as much by downs.  But Rodgers mentioned he's looking forward to using additional packages besides just living in the 11 personnel group all the time. Rodgers also noted that 12 personnel gives him a better run/pass option.

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

From MM's presser today

on Rookie running backs – what are you looking for: “The first job responsibility is you want your running backs to be three-down players.” Wants the no-huddle element. “That’s the way you want to play and that’s always been the focus and that’s the way you train.” So, third-down ability is vital. Then, it comes down to play-calling to take advantage of players’ strengths.

It will be interesting to see how much and how GB subs RBs in the regular season. In years past, they subbed by series, not as much by downs.  But Rodgers mentioned he's looking forward to using additional packages besides just living in the 11 personnel group all the time. Rodgers also noted that 12 personnel gives him a better run/pass option.

That's the issue I alluded to earlier.  MM clearly wants to run the no huddle, which means if you can't pass protect on 3rd down you're probably not going to see the field.  Looking at the draft picks, I feel like Aaron Jones is the most capable in this regard.  Jamaal Williams gives good effort, but he's an absolute mess in terms of technique.  Mays was a complete unknown to me.

Why does everyone always say Mac prefers a 3 down, pass oriented type back? (more like Jones than Williams) He's had two here in Jackson and Green and they stunk. Yet his two big, one cut zone back (Grant and Lacy) were by far his most successful.

I think Williams will be fine here so long as he can pass protect. Lacy wasn't dynamic as a catcher, but he could block.

Three down, pass-oriented as in they can play the no huddle, hurry-up, if needed. Lacy could. He definitely wasn't a "pass-oriented" back, but he could digest covers/pressure packages and was serviceable in the screen game. Grant, too. 

Whether Williams can handle that right away is a big question. He has to block.

Also, @Shanedorf, good to have you here!

Archived