2020 Free Agency

Lionized

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

Alright, I think Quinn typically holds 3-5 million back, but lets go with all the lower numbers.  So subtracting all the numbers I'm coming up with 11.3 million left.  If that number is right, we will more than likely sign some more.  It will be interesting if we sign any race horses, or just mules.

There is 23M left for FA. 

8 minutes ago, Lionized said:

There is 23M left for FA. 

That includes the 10-12 million for draft picks? Or does that not come out of this?

I see what I did, I subtracted Collins and V's contracts but they are already included in the numbers Karnage supplied.  Ok, I retract my statement of my feeling.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Thats about what we had last year that was unspent correct?  I feel like Quinn likes to keep money in case someone gets cut or something like Mike Daniels last year.  Albeit didnt work out, but that concept. 

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/10/nfl-salary-cap-detroit-lions-2020-space/

https://overthecap.com/calculator/detroit-lions/

There is $18M that rolls over from last season. 

• 2020 Cap: $198.2M
  • 2019 Cap Rollover: $18M
  • TOTAL 2020 CAP ROOM: $216M

OTC hasn't updated it with Kennard's release, so we're looking at $39M of free space with the additions of Collins, Vaitai, Daniel (but not Nicholas) and the subtractions of Wagner and Kennard.

Less $12M for rookie contracts = $29M

We could still see moves like the Slay trade (+$10M), Marvin Jones cut/restructure (+$6.5M), Decker trade/extension (+$10M) to open up more room for other moves. Not suggesting that these will actually happen but these would have the biggest impact on the cap. 

Edited by Karnage84
Chase Daniel's cap hit of $2M
  • Like 2

Just now, Karnage84 said:

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/10/nfl-salary-cap-detroit-lions-2020-space/

https://overthecap.com/calculator/detroit-lions/

There is $18M that rolls over from last season. 

• 2020 Cap: $198.2M
  • 2019 Cap Rollover: $18M
  • TOTAL 2020 CAP ROOM: $216M

OTC hasn't updated it with Kennard's release, so we're looking at $41M of free space with the additions of Collins, Vaitai (but not Daniel and Nicholas) and the subtractions of Wagner and Kennard.

Less $12M for rookie contracts = $29M

We could still see moves like the Slay trade (+$10M), Marvin Jones cut/restructure (+$6.5M), Decker trade/extension (+$10M) to open up more room for other moves. Not suggesting that these will actually happen but these would have the biggest impact on the cap. 

@LionArkie @Lionized @TL-TwoWinsAway

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Really good info. Thanks for posting that.

I can't help but believe that we've got a significant signing on its way. Perhaps that's just wishful thinking, but clearing cap space and not breaking the bank for our current signings leads me to believe that something else is in the works.

I would suggest Clowney, but having both Clowney and Flowers with big contracts would be... uncomfortable. (Although doing that and drafting Okudah would be nuts.)

2 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Really good info. Thanks for posting that.

I can't help but believe that we've got a significant signing on its way. Perhaps that's just wishful thinking, but clearing cap space and not breaking the bank for our current signings leads me to believe that something else is in the works.

I would suggest Clowney, but having both Clowney and Flowers with big contracts would be... uncomfortable. (Although doing that and drafting Okudah would be nuts.)

Then Chase Young falls to us and we have to add another DE.  Although I think Young could play that Kennard type roll too athleticism wise but might not have the skill set. 

Here is a crazy thought... what do you guys think about a scenario where 1) We sign Jameis Winston 2) Trade Stafford to NE for #23 3) Draft Tua at #3

I don't want to trade Stafford but the talks are that Winston isn't going to find an immediate starting role. TB just signed a $20M APY deal, which is probably more in line with what JW would get as a spot starter. 

6 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Here is a crazy thought... what do you guys think about a scenario where 1) We sign Jameis Winston 2) Trade Stafford to NE for #23 3) Draft Tua at #3

I don't want to trade Stafford but the talks are that Winston isn't going to find an immediate starting role. TB just signed a $20M APY deal, which is probably more in line with what JW would get as a spot starter. 

I'd be sad.

• Like 1