2020 Free Agency

Lionized

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Please, put this down: is that your take? Are you prepared to label Flowers a poor signing, all context/remaining years considered? I would love it if you'd do that.

Based on what we've seen so far. It has been a poor signing. If his production stays consistent over the course of the contract, it'll continue to hinder rebuild efforts for years. You can bookmark this post if you want to.

I don't have a crystal ball to view the future (as you appear to) so that's all I can say right now.

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Good. You think Flowers was a poor signing. Got it. (Bookmarked.)

Mark me down as a poor signing guy. He was a good player that we are paying like a GREAT player. I hope it was injuries but I don't know how you can say he is worth what the Lions gave him thus far.

8 minutes ago, BZski said:

Mark me down as a poor signing guy. He was a good player that we are paying like a GREAT player. I hope it was injuries but I don't know how you can say he is worth what the Lions gave him thus far.

I think we can look at his production (which was 'good' production), his performances (dominating Bakhtiari on numerous occasions, for one example), and his young age to conclude that this was a decent signing, with still plenty of upside over his remaining 4 seasons.

If we add key pieces, and this defense (and Flowers) surges in 2020, lets not sit back and act like we couldn't have seen this coming.

This conversation is interestingly similar to the ongoing conversation about Patricia: some think he's "trash" and it's time to move on, while others view the situation with far more context. I guess it all comes down to that: if you apply context, you tend to look big picture. If not, you feel that what a coach/player has done in the past is exactly what that coach/player is. I tend not to agree.

8 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I think we can look at his production (which was 'good' production), his performances (dominating Bakhtiari on numerous occasions, for one example), and his young age to conclude that this was a decent signing, with still plenty of upside over his remaining 4 seasons.

If we add key pieces, and this defense (and Flowers) surges in 2020, lets not sit back and act like we couldn't have seen this coming.

Your definition of "good" production from an edge rusher is laughable. The stat you had him ranking best at (assisted tackles) is such a joke of a stat. There is no uniformity on how assisted tackles are scored among the NFL. 

In most cases, a tackle assist is awarded if a second player sufficiently helped tackle the opposing player with one of his teammates.  Piling on or preventing further forward progress is generally not credited as a tackle assist.  Since the statistic is unofficial, it is measured inconsistently and subjectively across the NFL.  Most statisticians will not award more than two assists on a given tackle, and will only give out one assist if a solo tackle has been recorded.

9 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

Your definition of "good" production from an edge rusher is laughable. The stat you had him ranking best at (assisted tackles) is such a joke of a stat. There is no uniformity on how assisted tackles are scored among the NFL. 

It was per PFF. Feel free to disregard it. I don't care.

His slow start was attributed to his recovery from off-season surgery. Knowing this, and based on his play on the field AND production, I feel that Flowers was 'good'. I watched him move people around on numerous occasions. I thought he played well. Feel free to disregard this as well.

Believing that he was a poor signing, is it your opinion that we shouldn't have signed him?

12 hours ago, flyguy1609 said:

how about going after DE Vic Beasley in the off-season. I think that would be a good "buy low" type of guy we need.

I actually wouldn't mind this at all. He is a tweener in the Devon Kennard mold which MP seems to covet.