2020 Free Agency

Lionized

7 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Yeah, I don't think WAS is taking Tua. I'm convinced that, with the number of holes they have, the teams that want Tua will trade with WAS at #2.

That too... is not an unlikely scenario either. I just don't see them totally passing on the best player in the draft arguably(outside of QB)... but in the same breath, what you're saying isn't crazy, is just as likely, imo, at this moment and even makes sense for them as a franchise(either move really). 

I think it'll be Washington that dictates/forces the direction this draft goes. 

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Yeah I'm expecting Young at 2 also. Tua is a huge risk, and really, Haskins hasn't been given a fair shake and is already on the roster(not a wasted resource for Rivera). I think the Washington game plan is to fill holes, evaluate the QB/team for a season and then make franchise altering moves like QB selections.

I'm just hoping Miami cracks, and moves 5/18 for 3. Lots of the same holes in our own team imo, so getting an extra first can help plug those up long-term. (OL/RB/Pass Rush/DL depth)

The problem with this approach is that the obvious teams who would need a QB who are also in the top 10 (Miami, Carolina, LA Chargers) have now been reduced to two. Panthers aren't trading up after signing Bridgewater. Giants aren't taking a QB. Miami could take the risk and hope for Tua just to fall to them at #5 while keeping all of their other picks. If the Chargers sign Cam, that's exactly what I would do if I was them. 

What I could honestly see happening is the Raiders trade up to #3 or #4 and take Tua. Yes, they just signed Mariota. They could trade Carr and get back some compensation. You have the two Hawaiian kids that get along great and have a relationship. A splash move for a franchise in a new city. They have the ammunition to do it. 

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

The problem with this approach is that the obvious teams who would need a QB who are also in the top 10 (Miami, Carolina, LA Chargers) have now been reduced to two. Panthers aren't trading up after signing Bridgewater. Giants aren't taking a QB. Miami could take the risk and hope for Tua just to fall to them at #5 while keeping all of their other picks. If the Chargers sign Cam, that's exactly what I would do if I was them. 

What I could honestly see happening is the Raiders trade up to #3 or #4 and take Tua. Yes, they just signed Mariota. They could trade Carr and get back some compensation. You have the two Hawaiian kids that get along great and have a relationship. A splash move for a franchise in a new city. They have the ammunition to do it. 

My only disagreement here is signing Cam wouldn't be any more a long-term solution than OAK signing Mariota.

If you have at least two teams, you've got a bidding war. If either MIA or LAC wins the war for #3, the other can just as easily call WAS at #2. Considering the holes in WAS (and the volatile Trent Williams situation), I could absolutely see them taking the package from the highest bidder to move down.

5 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

My only disagreement here is signing Cam wouldn't be any more a long-term solution than OAK signing Mariota.

If you have at least two teams, you've got a bidding war. If either MIA or LAC wins the war for #3, the other can just as easily call WAS at #2. Considering the holes in WAS (and the volatile Trent Williams situation), I could absolutely see them taking the package from the highest bidder to move down.

It's only a bidding war if both teams place a high value on one player over the other available options. 

I disagree on the Mariota comparison. If Cam is truly healthy, and he's apparently cleared testing, he is a viable starting option. Mariota is a back-up/spot starter that COULD become a starter again a la Ryan Tannehill. He's only 30 years old, so he has probably close to 5 years if he can remain relatively healthy. 

That doesn't even bring Justin Herbert or Jordan Love into the equation. Maybe the Chargers are really high on Love but know he's raw. Sign Newton, draft Love and then redshirt him. You've got Tyrod as a veteran back-up, Cam could bounce back and be a trade piece while Love develops as a NFL QB. 

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

It's only a bidding war if both teams place a high value on one player over the other available options. 

I disagree on the Mariota comparison. If Cam is truly healthy, and he's apparently cleared testing, he is a viable starting option. Mariota is a back-up/spot starter that COULD become a starter again a la Ryan Tannehill. He's only 30 years old, so he has probably close to 5 years if he can remain relatively healthy. 

That doesn't even bring Justin Herbert or Jordan Love into the equation. Maybe the Chargers are really high on Love but know he's raw. Sign Newton, draft Love and then redshirt him. You've got Tyrod as a veteran back-up, Cam could bounce back and be a trade piece while Love develops as a NFL QB. 

Sure, Cam may be the more viable option for 2020, but he's definitely not viewed as a long-term solution. Signing Cam doesn't remove Tua from LAC's board in the same way that Mariota doesn't pull the Raiders out of looking for a possible QBOTF.

I guess we'll see how teams value Tua on draft day. Based on the value that teams place on QBs, and how better a prospect Tua is than Love or Herbert, I believe that someone is moving up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LionArkie said:

He had more connections to the Giants, but Detroit was #2 on his list. This is why I laugh when people go off on the front office for not signing these guys. They try, sometimes another team is just a better fit. If only we knew all the discussions that take place during free agency...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

He had more connections to the Giants, but Detroit was #2 on his list. This is why I laugh when people go off on the front office for not signing these guys. They try, sometimes another team is just a better fit. If only we knew all the discussions that take place during free agency...

This isn't meant to be disparaging but really, if you have to live in two cities: Detroit or New York, assuming money/role/confidence in the organization is the same, I'm choosing New York. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

This isn't meant to be disparaging but really, if you have to live in two cities: Detroit or New York, assuming money/role/confidence in the organization is the same, I'm choosing New York. 

I agree for most people.  I, for one, would probably pick Detroit over New York, but this is because I'm a country person and New York is way to crowded for my taste. In New York it's a long ways to the suburbs. I think big city vs big city, I'd be looking more at climate and tax relief if all things were equal.

• Like 1