Jump to content
Lionized

2020 Free Agency

Recommended Posts

If that's about it and we trade Slay, I'd be rather worried barring an amazing draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lionized said:

So who would be comfortable paying reader what he got? Do you think it’s a good deal or a bad one?

I’d have rather paid him his contract than Vaitai his contract.  I think Readers is more in line with his production.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we will wait for the prices to come down on the DT market. It’s flooded with talent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vernon Butler to the Bills... another target off the board for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a feeling not much more is going to happen with the Lions as the week goes on.  Maybe depth signings, but not much more.  Here is to hoping I'm wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LionArkie said:

I have a feeling not much more is going to happen with the Lions as the week goes on.  Maybe depth signings, but not much more.  Here is to hoping I'm wrong.

I feel like it's going to be the opposite. We already had a pretty decent amount of cap space coming into free agency. Then we release Kennard and Wagner to open up some more cap space. Vaitai has eaten up the Wagner room but Kennard opens up another $5 or $6M. It wouldn't shock me to see us make a big splash signing/trade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Karnage84 said:

I feel like it's going to be the opposite. We already had a pretty decent amount of cap space coming into free agency. Then we release Kennard and Wagner to open up some more cap space. Vaitai has eaten up the Wagner room but Kennard opens up another $5 or $6M. It wouldn't shock me to see us make a big splash signing/trade. 

I could see a trade occurring, but I don't think we outright sign people.  I mean, I'm probably wrong, but also Quinn likes to hold money back.  I really want to see us sign a beefy run stuffer, but I don't think it will happen.  I just don't think it will.  Feel free to call me out when it happens.  For anybody that knows, where are we at cap wise anyways?  I don't ever pay attention to that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

I could see a trade occurring, but I don't think we outright sign people.  I mean, I'm probably wrong, but also Quinn likes to hold money back.  I really want to see us sign a beefy run stuffer, but I don't think it will happen.  I just don't think it will.  Feel free to call me out when it happens.  For anybody that knows, where are we at cap wise anyways?  I don't ever pay attention to that?

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/detroit-lions/

$36M of cap space *OTC doesn't list the DT or Daniel's contracts, so it'll be slightly lower

  • Jamie Collins - $6.3M Cap Hit
  • Vaitai - $5.4M Cap Hit

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I feel like it's going to be the opposite. We already had a pretty decent amount of cap space coming into free agency. Then we release Kennard and Wagner to open up some more cap space. Vaitai has eaten up the Wagner room but Kennard opens up another $5 or $6M. It wouldn't shock me to see us make a big splash signing/trade. 

Joe Thuney would be a trade target I could see happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

And we subtract draft pick wages out of this too, correct?

Which I think is roughly $10-$12M. So there's $23 - $25M of open room and I don't think this number is including rollover from last season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lionized said:

Joe Thuney would be a trade target I could see happening. 

Yeah I thought this as well. Would explain the quiet on the OG front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Karnage84 said:

Which I think is roughly $10-$12M. So there's $23 - $25M of open room and I don't think this number is including rollover from last season. 

Thats about what we had last year that was unspent correct?  I feel like Quinn likes to keep money in case someone gets cut or something like Mike Daniels last year.  Albeit didnt work out, but that concept. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Karnage84 said:

Which I think is roughly $10-$12M. So there's $23 - $25M of open room and I don't think this number is including rollover from last season. 

Alright, I think Quinn typically holds 3-5 million back, but lets go with all the lower numbers.  So subtracting all the numbers I'm coming up with 11.3 million left.  If that number is right, we will more than likely sign some more.  It will be interesting if we sign any race horses, or just mules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×