2020 Free Agency

Lionized

I realized today that this off-season is very... Patriots-like.

They didn't make any gross overpayments and allowed their FAs to seek overpayments elsewhere. They upgraded RT with a team-friendly contract, then traded away a disgruntled player (who signed a big deal) while signing a very good player (for a much cheaper deal) at the same position. They traded late-round draft value for a potential starter and signed a bunch of lesser names with specific skillsets.

Underwhelming, as a Patriots FA period usually is. I guess we'll have to see if it's effective.

• Like 3

Just now, flyguy1609 said:

What about trading for Dunbar. If we move down from 3. We can get brown or Simmons

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/21/washington-is-shopping-quinton-dunbar/

Yeah, I thought about that as well. He doesn't travel with opposing WRs, but neither does Sherman and Quinn/Patricia still had an interest. I wonder how much he wants in his extension.

If we traded PHI's 3rd round pick for Dunbar (it's rumored that they want a 2nd or 3rd), we would have potentially traded Slay for Trufant, Dunbar and a 5th, and would be free to add the BPA at #5 or #6.

• Like 1

What do you think are the chances that we trade for Stephon Gilmore if the Patriots decide they want to do a rebuild? We'd take on $10.9M of cap hit while the Patriots would eat about $6 - $8M in dead cap. If we traded down and acquired additional picks, we could presumably get a player like him for similar compensation as we did for Slay. He is 29 but is signed for 1 more year. If you average out the cap hits, we're looking at $15M/year. He could be cut for only $7M of dead cap in 2021 if the contract was too rich/his play drops off. This still wouldn't preclude us from taking Okudah in a trade down. Gilmore might be gone after one year and Okudah would be BPA plus fit a future need. In addition, (Okudah) could start in the slot with the ability to kick outside. 

CB's (New)

Gilmore (29)- 82.8 PFF Grade (773 Snaps Wide; 154 slot)

Trufant (28) - 70.3 PFF Grade (448 Snaps Wide; 40 Slot; 38 Box)

Okudah (21) - 78.9 PFF Grade (Projected from Denzel Ward's rookie year)

Justin Coleman (27) - 60.7 PFF Grade (643 Slot; 249 Wide; 59 Box)

Oruwariye (24) - 71.4 PFF Grade (156 Snaps Wide; 36 Slot; 22 Box)

S (New)

Duron Harmon (29) - 73.7 PFF Grade (476 Free Safety, 129 Box)

Tracy Walker (25) - 73.5 PFF Grade (331 Free Safety, 254 Box, 177 Slot Corner)

Will Harris (24) - 55.3 PFF Grade (408 Free Safety, 136 Box, 63 Slot, 45 Wide)

Edited by Karnage84
Factored in Okudah with projected PFF Grade
  • Like 1

For me, I guess it depends on the compensation. Of course, Gilmore is an elite player... I'm just reluctant to both draft Okudah and trade a 3rd round pick for Gilmore when I feel we have a bunch of other needs.

Part of me feels like Belichick isn't planning on rebuilding. It would be so like him to draft Fromm in round 2, put a few pieces around him and watch them make the playoffs next year. I have a feeling that Belichick thinks he can do it with someone else, and wants to prove that his success is more than just Brady.

18 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

For me, I guess it depends on the compensation. Of course, Gilmore is an elite player... I'm just reluctant to both draft Okudah and trade a 3rd round pick for Gilmore when I feel we have a bunch of other needs.

Part of me feels like Belichick isn't planning on rebuilding. It would be so like him to draft Fromm in round 2, put a few pieces around him and watch them make the playoffs next year. I have a feeling that Belichick thinks he can do it with someone else, and wants to prove that his success is more than just Brady.

This will be Kobe/Shaq 2.0

21 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I could see them doing that with Stidham before Fromm, at least with physical gifts, year in the system, etc. They could just decide to go on a 2 year rebuild, add a bunch of picks and get rid of bigger salaries along the way. BB isn't necessarily in a 2 year window like Brady is. 

We have needs but if we add a bunch of other draft compensation in a trade down, I don't know if we couldn't afford to add a veteran guy like Gilmore in exchange for a 3rd. 

7 minutes ago, Michael1976 said:

Out of curiosity, why would NE give up Gilmore for only a 3rd?

If they're rebuilding (which is a strong possibility), we've seen the market value for a 29 year old CB with a big money contract. Gilmore's cap hit this year is $18.67M if he plays for the Patriots this year/doesn't restructure his deal. They're going to have to eat some of that money if they trade him but it would open up $3M in cap space this year and then a good amount of money next year. 

i don't see the pats moving Gilmore(tho out of all the New England ties were not in the afc) i mean i have seen crazier trades.. also i think Thuney would be the guy from the pats we should go after.  wonder if the pats would consider moving both guys for a combo of picks or something