2020 Free Agency

Lionized

I’m not a big fan of the give up a high draft pick for the right to give a guy a huge contract strategy but it did work out for the 2 teams in the SB last year.  Still feels like a bad strategy but he’s a baller I wouldn’t be mad if they gave up 35 or next years 2nd and a mid this year.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

I’m not a big fan of the give up a high draft pick for the right to give a guy a huge contract strategy but it did work out for the 2 teams in the SB last year.  Still feels like a bad strategy but he’s a baller I wouldn’t be mad if they gave up 35 or next years 2nd and a mid this year.  

yeah, I'm with you on this one.  If you are a contender than that's one thing, but a team like the Lions, I think I'll pass.

2 hours ago, LionArkie said:

yeah, I'm with you on this one.  If you are a contender than that's one thing, but a team like the Lions, I think I'll pass.

In fairness, that's how we can become a team in the mix. We have decent draft capital now and will acquire more in a trade down scenario. We should be able to get at least 1-2 impact players from the draft plus additional depth. Add in another impact guy and we can be the post-Khalil Mack trade Bears with hopefully more longevity (since we don't have Trubisky under center). 

5 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

In fairness, that's how we can become a team in the mix. We have decent draft capital now and will acquire more in a trade down scenario. We should be able to get at least 1-2 impact players from the draft plus additional depth. Add in another impact guy and we can be the post-Khalil Mack trade Bears with hopefully more longevity (since we don't have Trubisky under center). 

Except that is keeping salary out of the equation which is what I was agreeing with.  I'd rather have the draft pick, low cost player for 4-5 years and the ability to pick up whoever next year when we are closer, younger, and know more about what we have as a team. I'm not certain we're as close as everyone thinks we are.  Next year we will have to deal with our offensive line, once again. So, no, I don't want to give up a high draft pick for him.

I can see the argument, and I wouldn't hate it, but I don't know if it would be my preference.

2 hours ago, LionArkie said:

Except that is keeping salary out of the equation which is what I was agreeing with.  I'd rather have the draft pick, low cost player for 4-5 years and the ability to pick up whoever next year when we are closer, younger, and know more about what we have as a team. I'm not certain we're as close as everyone thinks we are.  Next year we will have to deal with our offensive line, once again. So, no, I don't want to give up a high draft pick for him.

I can see the argument, and I wouldn't hate it, but I don't know if it would be my preference.

You're going to have needs on your team every single year. Players get old, guys become FA's, draft picks are up for re-signing, etc. Next year we have Stafford being one year older and the other teams in our division having another full off-season to update their own rosters. 

With Yannick, you're getting another 2 years out of the guy vs Clowney. Yannick is 25 while Clowney is 27. 

26 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

You're going to have needs on your team every single year. Players get old, guys become FA's, draft picks are up for re-signing, etc. Next year we have Stafford being one year older and the other teams in our division having another full off-season to update their own rosters. 

With Yannick, you're getting another 2 years out of the guy vs Clowney. Yannick is 25 while Clowney is 27. 

Yannick is 25 while draft pick is 22 and 15 million more.  Like I said, I don't disagree with the logic and wouldn't hate it.  But I don't think we are one piece away and would rather have the draft capital and money than neither of those and Yanick.  Just my preference.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

We wouldnt likely keep them until the end of their careers.  Its a 2/3 year deal IMO, which would be our window with Stafford.  I would easily rather have a 27 year old Clowney and a higher pick than Yannick and likely more money.  They both are in their primes, and both would help the roster, but one doesnt cost picks and the other does. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

We wouldnt likely keep them until the end of their careers.  Its a 2/3 year deal IMO, which would be our window with Stafford.  I would easily rather have a 27 year old Clowney and a higher pick than Yannick and likely more money.  They both are in their primes, and both would help the roster, but one doesnt cost picks and the other does. 

Agreed.

Edited by LionArkie

off the way idea. what if we traded down with the chargers(there in trouble next yr with FA's) if we made a deal swapped 3&6 and they included Melvin Ingram and like a 3rd next year. so 6, Ingram & 3rd next year for 3rd and 6th rd... we give Ingram a short deal. and get either Okudah, Brown or ISAIAH SIMMONS at 6(unless we trade down again). 

The only thing I want to throw out is paying money to a proven player who excels at a position of great need isn’t wrong. You have to pay money to some of your players and a draft pick doesn’t always get you the performance you’re trying to achieve. 

If the Lions can get a player that provides pressure off the edge and a penetrating DT they would field an effective dline. Throw in a starting CB and just maybe the defence becomes a quality unit.

• Like 1

If they could trade back even for just an additional 2nd  + something and trade that 2nd for Yannick plus come away with Okudah and Gallimore/Lynch/Blacklock.  That could really transform the face of the D for both the future and present.  It be a lot of $ into the DE position but we’d have Yannick and Flowers playing out there primes together with a #1 corner on a rookie contract.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...