Star Wars Universe Thread

naptownskinsfan

On 5/29/2020 at 3:23 PM, Deadpulse said:

@THE DUKE

Hide contents

Thrawn is depicted very similarly to his old books and comic characterization. Even his back story doesnt deviate too much. He has always been less a company man and more an insanely smart tactician trying to challenge himself

It also helps that Timothy Zahn is still writing the Star Wars novels for him, and I'm sure they consulted with him while writing the character.  

We Got This Covered is a trash site.  They always say "we told you about" such and such, but leave out that they told you after it was announced and there are another 20 articles about the same topic where they were wrong.  According to them, all the X-Men have already been cast for the MCU.  If they somehow luck into pegging one person being cast in a particular role by blind luck, you'll hear about it for the next decade.

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Didn't his trilogy get dropped after the backlash from TLJ?

Nah.

He's the only director confirmed attached to a star wars project at this point.

That was D&D from GOT that got dropped.

Taika is also supposed to be making a star wars movie but like that's rumor.

Kevin Feigee is producing one at some point so like eh.

Also there's a star wars film slated for 2022 but I'm like 90% sure that ain't happening unless RIan's project moves forward or someone else has a project ready to go early-mid 2021. 

12 hours ago, Daniel said:

Yep.  That's what I was thinking about.  I guess Johnson's getting cancelled was just wishful thinking.

No one really knows if his trilogy was cancelled or not.  That is still shrouded in mystery from what I see.  

I can imagine after the success of Knives Out, they could have re-thought the idea of working together with him.  

RIan Johnson is a great director. Every movie I have seen of his has been great. I understand people don't like TLJ but most of those reasons are because of the departure from TFA, the direction he took fan favorite characters, and the decision with Snoke. In a vacuum, TLJ is a really good movie. I think if he is handed the ability to script out his story for 3 movies instead of picking up from someone elses with new characters people arent so attached to it will be successful. 

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

RIan Johnson is a great director. Every movie I have seen of his has been great. I understand people don't like TLJ but most of those reasons are because of the departure from TFA, the direction he took fan favorite characters, and the decision with Snoke. In a vacuum, TLJ is a really good movie. I think if he is handed the ability to script out his story for 3 movies instead of picking up from someone elses with new characters people arent so attached to it will be successful. 

I would disagree with this. Partially, yes, but there are so many fundamental flaws with that movie at every level, especially in basic application of story structure, I think it’s departure from TFA is only a minor part.

Side stories that don’t affect the plot, assaulting its own premise and theme, horrible pacing issues, and nonsensical character decisions do way more damage to the movie than anything else IMO.

Looper was great, but he really screwed up his Star Wars film. I wouldn’t see any more he made.

• Like 2